ADVERTISEMENT

If You Could Go Back In Time

If you could go back in time and see one team play, what team would it be and why?

Does not have to be the team you root, play/played or graduated from... Could be a team you saw or wish you had seen.
Ok Danny, why don't you go first? Which team/game would be your choice?

Ok Danny, why don't you go first? Which team/game would be your choice?

While I love what I do for the site and am in no hurry to give it up, I do have a soft spot for a time and place when I was merely a fan in the stands watching Michael Robinson lead the Varina Blue Devils. So the 1999 or 2000 teams I would love to see once more.

Of the teams I never got to see, I wouldn't mind seeing those Hampton teams of the 90's... led by Ronald Curry.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
The 98 Salem team was the most physical and deepest team I ever saw in 4a football. Played smash mouth football. Very intimidating

Chris Slade and Terry Kirby led Tabb teams. Saw them many times, but I'd enjoy seeing them again through my 50 year old eyes....Charlie Hovis had those teams clicking on all cylinders. Amazing team chemistry.

This one goes way back. Petersburg and anyone in 1933. (12-0 that season). That would have given me the chance to see one of the greatest athletes to ever come out of Virginia, Eric Tipton. And to see him coached by arguably the greatest coach to ever coach in Virginia, Coach Roland Day.

Bleeding Navy still talks about that season. He said he went to most of the games that year. He brags that he went because he got in at a reduced price with his senior citizens discount.

1. 1982 GW Danville Eagles.. 4-5 NFL players.. 14-0. Best high school team in VHSL history. I heard they were just as good in '81.

2. 2003 and 2004 Gretna Hawks. People lined up 2 hours before kickoff to see Vic Hall destroy teams 70-0. Hall vs. Cedric Peermam used to be a SHOW to watch!

Do you know who the 4-5 NFL players were from that 1982 GW team? Just curious.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Do you know who the 4-5 NFL players were from that 1982 GW team? Just curious.
I believe I am wrong. If Mike Brim was on that team then he and Ferrell Edmunds were the only ones who made the NFL and had mutiple seasons in the league. Bam and Keeta Covington (who were both All Americans at Maryland) and Percy Moreman (the QB on that 1982 GW team and signed to NC State) were all big time recruits but all got into trouble before they got to the NFL. I'm thinking Michael Ragsdale who was a big time lineman was invited to a training camp. Waaay before my time but I know @cutnjump knows!!!

Correction: Bam and Ferrell were All Americans at Maryland. Keeta was not!

Last edited:
Reactions: CRF4Dan
@CRF4Dan great question!

Mike Rob was a man-child out there. He was 2 years younger than me so I never got to play against him. Certainly had a fabulous career at Varina.

I saw the Ronald Curry teams play and they were amazing. I think they were the best team in the history of VA HSFB regardless of classification Public or Private.

If I could go back and see any team that I never got to see in person it would be
he Allen Iverson "Bethel 92 team". Something about a 150lb athlete dominating on the state level just amazes me.

It is one thing to see a 240lb tailback or LB dominate. But a 150lb string bean? I'm not sure we will ever see that again. Seeing something you may never see again has a lot of value in my eyes.

@CRF4Dan great question!

Mike Rob was a man-child out there. He was 2 years younger than me so I never got to play against him. Certainly had a fabulous career at Varina.

I saw the Ronald Curry teams play and they were amazing. I think they were the best team in the history of VA HSFB regardless of classification Public or Private.

If I could go back and see any team that I never got to see in person it would be
he Allen Iverson "Bethel 92 team". Something about a 150lb athlete dominating on the state level just amazes me.

It is one thing to see a 240lb tailback or LB dominate. But a 150lb string bean? I'm not sure we will ever see that again. Seeing something you may never see again has a lot of value in my eyes.
I'd like to see how Bubba Chuck stacks up against Vic Hall. No doubt A.I. was the truth, but the little 5'8 155 kid from Gretna was just as good :cool:.. I said it *in my best Stephen A. voice possible*!!!!

Reactions: gwb16
Anybody got any tape on Vic Hall? I'd love to see it. Gretna was just not a program I was familiar with outside of knowing that Vic was being recruited to UVA.

Not to take away from Vic hall at all, but Iverson was doing it in the top classification at the time and I believe there were only 3-4 back then.

Anybody got any tape on Vic Hall? I'd love to see it. Gretna was just not a program I was familiar with outside of knowing that Vic was being recruited to UVA.

Not to take away from Vic hall at all, but Iverson was doing it in the top classification at the time and I believe there were only 3-4 back then.
I tried to find some but couldn't find any other than the video I put on this thread yesterday. Hopefully there is some footage of Hall somewhere. I truly believe that if he had been placed at QB or RB from the start in his college career that he would've had a solid career in the NFL. Arm strength, accuracy, could throw in the pocket or beat you outside. Very very good player. I just wish he could've played better competition. I think those 2 Gretna teams could've played with the Triple A boys in 2003 and 2004.

I believe I am wrong. If Mike Brim was on that team then he and Ferrell Edmunds were the only ones who made the NFL and had mutiple seasons in the league. Bam and Keeta Covington (who were both All Americans at Maryland) and Percy Moreman (the QB on that 1982 GW team and signed to NC State) were all big time recruits but all got into trouble before they got to the NFL. I'm thinking Michael Ragsdale who was a big time lineman was invited to a training camp. Waaay before my time but I know @cutnjump knows!!!

Correction: Bam and Ferrell were All Americans at Maryland. Keeta
This is always a good offseason discussion. I am fortunate that with the exception of the 1933 Petersburg team I have had the privilege pf seeing in person every team mentioned so far. Lot of great teams and players already mentioned and many others that could fall in this topic.

DSH to answer your question you are mixing and matching a little. The 1981 and 1982 GWHS teams arguably constitute the greatest back to back years in GW football history. Those teams went 27-1 over the period with the lone loss being to Hampton in the 1981 state championship game. The 1981 team was led by Al "Bam Bam" Covington, 1st team Parade All American QB Jamie Harris, Joe Seamster and several other seniors aided by a strong underclass including Ferrell Edmunds, Bryant "Keeta" Covington, Percy Moorman, Mike Brim, Lawrence Olds, Mike Ragsdale, etc.. In 1981, Percy Moorman, the 1982 QB, would qualify in the discussion of great GW running backs. As far as the NFL and high level Division 1 talent goes I will try and post later with more details but, I will offer this as my parting thought. Most on this board are too young to remember but, there was a period from the mid to late 1960's through the 1990s(ending date subject to debate Pulaski or Halifax titles or last GW runs to semis) where the football at the highest classification levels in Virginia included Southwest Virginia. Teams including Andrew Lewis, PH, Fleming, Pulaski, Halifax, Glass and GW were threats. That hasn't been the case for going on 20 years. Also to the point, lots of college football blue bloods(Alabama FSU, Nebraska, Michigan, etc.) made stops to recruit the talent.

Last edited:
Memories from an Eastern Shore, (Cape Charles), high school football player.

One big thing — sports! When I grew up in grammar school, Father Miller started a football program. I think they played football here maybe back in the ’20s but it sort of died down and they didn’t have it. Father Miller started football. Boys started playing football, not enough equipment, but they started. Later on, Dan Wilkins came to help him coach and then wound up being coach alone. But the teams that we had for such a little town, most of the teams we played had more kids on the football team than we had in the high school! I think George was on one of these teams. I know Mike was, I know Tommy was. Father Miller scheduled a game with a team in Wilmington, Delaware, called Salesianum High School. That was a Catholic high school that had, if I’m not too far wrong, about 2,000 boys it seemed like. It was a big school. Anyway, the town or school or somebody paid, they rented two cars on the train. Took them up to Wilmington, played football, did a fairly good job, didn’t win, but came back. Going back in my memory, I know that Granby’s junior varsity, or second string, supposedly played Cape Charles. But one of the boys that later moved over here that played first string for Granby, said that it was named their second string but it was really most of their first string that played Cape Charles. And Cape Charles did very well. It was like 31 to 13, I think was the score, in fact, I know that was what it was.

CONTINUED FROM FIRST PAGE

But anyway, they played the only high school in Williamsburg. Here’s Cape Charles and back in those days they graded schools A, B, C and we were a D! We didn’t have any other schools around and we were playing B schools and some A’s! And not doing too badly. My good friend over here, Amos, in 1950 Northampton played Cape Charles and we beat Northampton 93 to nothing! There’s more! We didn’t have any lights on the field and the game lasted so long and it was getting dark, they stopped the game I think seven minutes early so the referees could get back. It was getting so dark, we couldn’t play! About a year ago, they had a list in the Richmond Times Dispatch of records, high school football records that still stood. And there was a boy in Cape Charles at that time named Amos Dickinson who scored five touchdowns as an end and that is still a high school record. I was proud of that myself because I had been center and centers don’t score and I think when they got the 92 to nothing I said, “I’ve been playing all these years and will somebody let me score?” And I remembered this, too, that all you have to do is get in the end zone and I was through the end zone and 10 feet past it! I was so happy to have scored!

But we started out playing football when we were young kids. I think back about it and Tom and George were older than us, but when it came time to play in sports, they roughed us up a little bit, but they started teaching us when we were young. And we all liked to play touch football or run-’til-you’re-down. We had a hundred kids in high school, probably sixty of them were boys, we’ve had seventy kids out there doing a football game at lunch time. Am I right? And playing soccer, we had a hundred people, girls and boys, out playing soccer and we didn’t have but a hundred in the high school.

To follow up on my earlier post here is a little more background. In earlier years, SWVA resembled Richmond as far as the playoffs. A lot of very good 9-1 or 8-2 teams never made the playoffs as only the district champ got a berth. Some of those teams excluded lost only to the eventual state champion by the slimmest of margins and the case could be argued that in the expanded format of the playoffs today there is at least a chance those teams could have avenged their earlier playoff elimination loss. The talent all around Central and Southwest Virginia was enough to attract not only the ACC but, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 and even PAC 10. I can tell you that for the 1982 GW team on one Friday night the Alabama jet carrying Ray Perkins and the FSU jet ferrying Bobby Bowden occupied the tarmac space and there were many coaches there by car as well. Similar scenarios played out in Lynchburg and Roanoke as well. That doesn't happen anymore. Area kids dotted the rosters of the ACC schools, Nebraska, Ohio State, etc. and many more played in lower levels D-2, D-3, NAIA, etc.. A lot eventually moved on to pro rosters. From GW you had Buddy Curry(NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year), Kenny Lewis, Ferrell Edmunds, Mike Brim and Herman Moore to name a few(there are others and many other D-1's). Mickey Fitzgerald from Glass, Keith Hamilton from Heritage, Don Testerman and Barry Word from Halifax, Gary Clark from Pulaski, and there are others but, my point is the area used to play a brand of football that compared very favorably with any classification level and any school in the state. Economic and demographic changes have reduced the area impact at the highest levels.

One last thing on two GW prospects you mentioned DSH, Percy Moorman and Mike Ragsdale. Two exceptional physical talents and easily in the discussion of all time greats at GW whose careers were short circuited by poor choices. There are some names from other schools in same situation, very unfortunate. Finally, I mentioned the ending date of that run could be debated. For me personally, the final cutoff is the Lee Suggs Fleming team that lost to Curry's Hampton Crabbers. I would also be remiss without mentioning Salem. It's predecessor, Andrew Lewis was a force. The Spartans had some lean times until they got Coach White but, he built a PROGRAM that speaks for itself and Coach Magenbauer has continued, if not expanded, the tradition . The 1986 team was a AAA contender and after that year they moved to a lower classification which is why there is little mention of the Spartans in this post. There is very good football played at all levels/classifications in Virginia, however, and this is just my opinion which I am sure some will disagree with, historically there has been a substantial difference in the competitive levels of old A and AA when compared to AAA. That difference has carried over to the revised six division classification system but, there has been a narrowing in the difference between classes and the ability of top teams to be competitive in a higher classification. Note I am not saying a team is going to jump 2 or more class levels just that grouping of 5/6, 4/5, 3/4 are tighter and would be competitive in specific situations. Despite PH making the D-5 playoffs and maybe Fleming can since they have now moved up, there really are not any teams in the area now that would be a championship contender in 6 or 5, in my opinion. The differences now are similar to past history. It is not quality, there are individual players at all levels that could step up to the highest levels. It is quantity, the smaller schools have 3.5, 7 players and the upper 16, 18 or more. The Gretna teams with Vic Hall and Hubbard were tremendous and those guys individually would be stars on any team but, were those Gretna teams to line up with GW of 1981 or 1982 they would not be within 2 or more touchdowns of GW and the game would not be close.

To follow up on my earlier post here is a little more background. In earlier years, SWVA resembled Richmond as far as the playoffs. A lot of very good 9-1 or 8-2 teams never made the playoffs as only the district champ got a berth. Some of those teams excluded lost only to the eventual state champion by the slimmest of margins and the case could be argued that in the expanded format of the playoffs today there is at least a chance those teams could have avenged their earlier playoff elimination loss. The talent all around Central and Southwest Virginia was enough to attract not only the ACC but, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 and even PAC 10. I can tell you that for the 1982 GW team on one Friday night the Alabama jet carrying Ray Perkins and the FSU jet ferrying Bobby Bowden occupied the tarmac space and there were many coaches there by car as well. Similar scenarios played out in Lynchburg and Roanoke as well. That doesn't happen anymore. Area kids dotted the rosters of the ACC schools, Nebraska, Ohio State, etc. and many more played in lower levels D-2, D-3, NAIA, etc.. A lot eventually moved on to pro rosters. From GW you had Buddy Curry(NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year), Kenny Lewis, Ferrell Edmunds, Mike Brim and Herman Moore to name a few(there are others and many other D-1's). Mickey Fitzgerald from Glass, Keith Hamilton from Heritage, Don Testerman and Barry Word from Halifax, Gary Clark from Pulaski, and there are others but, my point is the area used to play a brand of football that compared very favorably with any classification level and any school in the state. Economic and demographic changes have reduced the area impact at the highest levels.

One last thing on two GW prospects you mentioned DSH, Percy Moorman and Mike Ragsdale. Two exceptional physical talents and easily in the discussion of all time greats at GW whose careers were short circuited by poor choices. There are some names from other schools in same situation, very unfortunate. Finally, I mentioned the ending date of that run could be debated. For me personally, the final cutoff is the Lee Suggs Fleming team that lost to Curry's Hampton Crabbers. I would also be remiss without mentioning Salem. It's predecessor, Andrew Lewis was a force. The Spartans had some lean times until they got Coach White but, he built a PROGRAM that speaks for itself and Coach Magenbauer has continued, if not expanded, the tradition . The 1986 team was a AAA contender and after that year they moved to a lower classification which is why there is little mention of the Spartans in this post. There is very good football played at all levels/classifications in Virginia, however, and this is just my opinion which I am sure some will disagree with, historically there has been a substantial difference in the competitive levels of old A and AA when compared to AAA. That difference has carried over to the revised six division classification system but, there has been a narrowing in the difference between classes and the ability of top teams to be competitive in a higher classification. Note I am not saying a team is going to jump 2 or more class levels just that grouping of 5/6, 4/5, 3/4 are tighter and would be competitive in specific situations. Despite PH making the D-5 playoffs and maybe Fleming can since they have now moved up, there really are not any teams in the area now that would be a championship contender in 6 or 5, in my opinion. The differences now are similar to past history. It is not quality, there are individual players at all levels that could step up to the highest levels. It is quantity, the smaller schools have 3.5, 7 players and the upper 16, 18 or more. The Gretna teams with Vic Hall and Hubbard were tremendous and those guys individually would be stars on any team but, were those Gretna teams to line up with GW of 1981 or 1982 they would not be within 2 or more touchdowns of GW and the game would not be close.
I spoke with Dick Crum of UN before the 82 state chamionship

I would reiterate the teams and players mentioned previously: 98 & 99 Salem, Ronald Curry, Allen Iverson, Vic Hall, & Tabb with Slade & Kirby, but my favorite player to watch was Danny Davis. He was graceful and made great cuts, but if you were in the way he could just truck you. Another name I would have liked to see in person would be EC Glass QB Andre Kendrick. Back in 95 I started working for the PO in the evenings. I had to work Fridays so I would always listen to the Glass games because we lived and worked in Glass' zone and also it was the only game I could pick up clearly. I wish I had taken off one Friday and went to one of the better games. Glass pretty well blew out most teams that year, at least until they ran into Hampton in the championship game anyway. .

Last edited:

Great post and a lot of good points. As you mentioned, there were several teams in the richmond area going 9-1and not making the playoffs back in the day. Can you imagine out 32 high schools only 4 making the playoffs. You had to be undefeated!

SWVA football has such a storied history, thank you for sharing!

I agree the SWVA teams now would not be able to be elite on the 5a & 6a consistently. Not bc of talent. It is just a numbers game. You don't have enough schools. If 804, 757, & NOVA each only had 4-5 (5a-6a) schools the conversation would be a lot different.

More good players may have came out of SWVA per capita then any other area in VA.

This is always a good offseason discussion. I am fortunate that with the exception of the 1933 Petersburg team I have had the privilege pf seeing in person every team mentioned so far. Lot of great teams and players already mentioned and many others that could fall in this topic.
Cut, since you've see most of the teams, who do you think was the best. I've seen many of them and have to agree that those 96-97 Hampton teams were the best that I've ever seen. The 03-04 Gretna teams were very good and the among div 3 teams I have seen. The early 70's Radford and TC Williams teams were are special and absurdly loaded with Div 1 talent. I didn't get to see the 82 GW team. Also can't forget the run of talent that came through Southampton in the late 70's and early 80's(Cyrus Lawrence & Ashley Lee).

I have been watching high school football since 1974. The best 4a team I ever saw was 98 Salem. It's hard to compare teams of different eras, but I have not seen another 4a team with a combination of their size, depth, strength,toughness, and speed. Salem has had 8 State Championships, but for good or bad, to this day all Salem teams are compared to 98.

Definitely 2 great teams. Peter Rose is another player who was absolutely amazing. Hate that him and Pipe McCoy didn't get a chance to play at Tech.
Two of the best players at Amherst in my opinion. Derrick McCoy rarely missed a catch. The best game for me that I remember was 2006 at Salem when Amherst was losing with a little over minute left. On the Salem 30 yard line, Peter Rose threw a long pass to Derrick for a touchdown pass. Some Amherst fans had left because they thought it was over. Will never forget that game

Two of the best players at Amherst in my opinion. Derrick McCoy rarely missed a catch. The best game for me that I remember was 2006 at Salem when Amherst was losing with a little over minute left. On the Salem 30 yard line, Peter Rose threw a long pass to Derrick for a touchdown pass. Some Amherst fans had left because they thought it was over. Will never forget that game
I will always remember the first time Abell inserted Peter Rose at QB when GW played there in 06. GW was the only team that beat them that year. Don't get me wrong, GW was very good but Amherst just had a bad game that night. Alonzo Poe, John Rose, Peter, McCoy.. Definitely one of the best high school teams in the 2000s. I'd love to see how the Amherst team of 2007 stacks up against the best VA teams of all time.

Reactions: wikki
I'd probably say the Patrick Henry (Roanoke) Patriots of 1973, as they are the only team from the Roanoke-Salem area - and indeed, from southwest Virginia - to have won a football championship in the highest classification, way back before divisions were even a gleam in some VHSL bureaucrat's eye. That team has been celebrated in song and story around these parts for a good chunk of my life.

After that, probably the Curry-led Hampton teams.

The only close game for 2007 Amherst was at Amherst in the playoffs against Salem. Game probably decided when Amherst is punting, fumbles the snap, and punter picks it up and runs 60 yards for a TD. Neither team did a lot of stopping the other team.

Andrew Lewis (Salem) won a State Championship in the highest division.

I should have specified "during the playoff era."

Also, on that play you mentioned in the 2007 Salem-Amherst state semifinal: IIRC, the Amherst punter who ran with that muffed snap (I think it sailed way over his head) didn't score. He was forced out around the three, and the Lancers scored on the next play. That was without question the play of the game. Again, IIRC, that was the only time Salem forced Amherst to punt all game, and it looked like the Spartans were going to get the ball in great field position, with the chance to finally take the lead. On that one play, I went from sheer elation to the depths of despair all in about ten seconds.

Definitely the single most disheartening play I can recall as a Salem fan. I never have seen a replay; I'd like to see why no Salem player was able to come close to getting to the ball when it was rolling around, fifteen yards behind the LOS. Anyway, that Amherst kid made an awesome play.

Reactions: salemfan32
Some teams not mentioned that I would've like to have seen were the Powell Valley teams with Thomas Jones and Julius Jones and, going way back, the Appalachia teams with Ed "Stonega Stallion" Clark.

A team that I saw that I'd love to see again is the 1991 Salem Spartans. If they hadn't been shocked in the state final, I think they'd rank up there with 1998.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
91 was a very good team. Offensively every bit as good as 98 Salem. However, 91 Salem was not as good defensively or in the kicking game. Salem 98 had no weaknesses. They did not throw it very much because they didn't have to, but they could if they wanted.

Darn you Danny. Ever since you started this thread I can't get the tune, "Let's turn back the years"!

(For you youngsters, that song was written and performed by Hank Williams Sr.)

When you have a team with not one or two or three state titles but eight and the best among them is a unanimous choice from the fans that should speak to the level of play. It's a lot easier to pick your best years if your choices are slimmer.

For much the same reason, this is why I'd want to watch the Curry years at Hampton.

Cut, since you've see most of the teams, who do you think was the best. I've seen many of them and have to agree that those 96-97 Hampton teams were the best that I've ever seen. The 03-04 Gretna teams were very good and the among div 3 teams I have seen. The early 70's Radford and TC Williams teams were are special and absurdly loaded with Div 1 talent. I didn't get to see the 82 GW team. Also can't forget the run of talent that came through Southampton in the late 70's and early 80's(Cyrus Lawrence & Ashley Lee).
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there are a lot of teams and individuals I could list but, it would take all day. I think the Hampton teams with Curry and that tremendous run by Phoebus provide my top candidates. For players Curry, Iverson, Kirby, Hall and Jones with a nod to Curry and Iverson because they did it on offense, defense and special teams. The other 3 could have done it just not asked to carry that same load.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there are a lot of teams and individuals I could list but, it would take all day. I think the Hampton teams with Curry and that tremendous run by Phoebus provide my top candidates. For players Curry, Iverson, Kirby, Hall and Jones with a nod to Curry and Iverson because they did it on offense, defense and special teams. The other 3 could have done it just not asked to carry that same load.
Did you ever get to see Danny Davis at Rustburg in the late 80's? He was as dominant on both sides of the ball as anyone I have ever seen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT