ADVERTISEMENT

If You Could Go Back In Time

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Let's say Doc Brown pulls up outside your door, storms in and tells you, you have access to the DeLorean for four hours and you can only go back in time to watch one game.

What high school team from Virginia would you go back to see play?

Does not have to be the team you are a fan of or played for or even graduated from. Could be a team you heard about before your time or you just never got to see. Or it could be a team you want to see one more time because you enjoyed them so much.

Who was that team for you and why?

***I hope all understand the Doc Brown/DeLorean reference and that I am not aging myself***

Let's say Doc Brown pulls up outside your door, storms in and tells you, you have access to the DeLorean for four hours and you can only go back in time to watch one game.

What high school team from Virginia would you go back to see play?

Does not have to be the team you are a fan of or played for or even graduated from. Could be a team you heard about before your time or you just never got to see. Or it could be a team you want to see one more time because you enjoyed them so much.

Who was that team for you and why?

***I hope all understand the Doc Brown/DeLorean reference and that I am not aging myself***
It's ok pops. That was a black and white movie back then, correct?

Reactions: CRF4Dan
I would have loved to see my father play high school ball back in 1950.....in Ohio. Since I can't, I would relive the 1991 D6 Central Region title game won by Bird 28-0 against the "vaunted" Thomas Dale defense. Many of my schoolmates played on that team.

For me it is Allen Iverson at Bethel... that i never got to see.

I can tell you a game I did see in person that I would love to see again was Percy Harvin's performance in his junior year State championship game. 5 td's! Kick return, INT return, kick off return, receiving TD and rushing TD. He was baiting the QB to throw the ball. Pretending the receivers were open and then swooping in for the kill. Amazing performance! It all went down at UR stadium.

For me it is Allen Iverson at Bethel... that i never got to see.

I can tell you a game I did see in person that I would love to see again was Percy Harvin's performance in his junior year State championship game. 5 td's! Kick return, INT return, kick off return, receiving TD and rushing TD. He was baiting the QB to throw the ball. Pretending the receivers were open and then swooping in for the kill. Amazing performance! It all went down at UR stadium.
I was standing at the back of the end zone most of that game. He looked like a man playing with boys. Only performance that I ever saw that was similar was Curry against James Madison from Nova. I think they scored 76 and Curry was involved in all of them. Even kicked the last PAT. Virginia has had some dominant players over the years. Maybe not the quantity of Texas or Florida, but I'll put those two kids against anyone.

Reactions: springer76
I was standing at the back of the end zone most of that game. He looked like a man playing with boys. Only performance that I ever saw that was similar was Curry against James Madison from Nova. I think they scored 76 and Curry was involved in all of them. Even kicked the last PAT. Virginia has had some dominant players over the years. Maybe not the quantity of Texas or Florida, but I'll put those two kids against anyone.

The year before that they lost to Westfield and Eddie Royal had a whale of a game. Not as good as Percy's the following year. But, pretty good. The final season Landstown lost to lost in the finals to Oakton. The were runnng the power I with 2 big tom rathman looking kids that were 240lbs and the tailback was like 235. I think his name was Keith Mann and he started for UVA. They were just getting like 8 yards a carry and Landstown hardly got the ball. I watched Landstown for 3 straight years bc at the time I was living 5 minutes from the school. Percy was an amazing HS football player. The best I have ever seen in person.

The Oakton vs. Bird semi-final was a war that year. Just a super smash mouth game. It was 19-14 as time was running down with Oakton on their own 1 and there was fumble and the referees hudled forever before deciding the play was a safety and cutting it to 19-16. Bird couldn't put together a score after that and it ended up 19-16. One would think Landstown would have handled Bird in the states as they made them look pretty bad the two years before in the semis.

I will say that State Championship team of Landstown is still probably my pick for the best high school team I've seen in person.

Reactions: mbonape1
They were the first 6A I saw really running the spread with Coach Beatty. The rest of the 6A's weren't ready for that sort of high octane offense and pace. I am not sure that Landstown would have beat Bird that year. Landstown had no answer for Oakton's smash mouth. I mean ZERO. But yes they did beat Bird convincingly the year before (Percy's sophomore year) I saw that game in person. Percy's Junior Year, Landstown was unbeatable!

The year before that they lost to Westfield and Eddie Royal had a whale of a game. Not as good as Percy's the following year. But, pretty good. The final season Landstown lost to lost in the finals to Oakton. The were runnng the power I with 2 big tom rathman looking kids that were 240lbs and the tailback was like 235. I think his name was Keith Mann and he started for UVA. They were just getting like 8 yards a carry and Landstown hardly got the ball. I watched Landstown for 3 straight years bc at the time I was living 5 minutes from the school. Percy was an amazing HS football player. The best I have ever seen in person.
I think the kid's name was Keith Payne. He did go to UVA. Oakton did control the game with power but, Payne and the rest of the Oakton defense did a number shutting down Harvin and Beatty's offense. At least that is what I recall with my aging memory.

I think the kid's name was Keith Payne. He did go to UVA. Oakton did control the game with power but, Payne and the rest of the Oakton defense did a number shutting down Harvin and Beatty's offense. At least that is what I recall with my aging memory.

Yeah you are right that was his name and they did take Landstowns heart that game. Landstown was a heavy favorite. Darrel Greens son was also on Oakton. I just happened to be sitting right next to him in the bleachers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT