ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Stats

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
Some Liberal NVA schools claim they are afraid to come to Liberty University for VHSL events. I checked the Virginia State Police stats on crimes/incidents on college campus in Virginia.

VCU (site of VHSL basketball tournament) had by far the most incidents: 1243. The next closet school was University of Virginia with 422.

I do not feel safe going to VCU for basketball. I am afraid to look up City of Richmond and City of Hampton stats.

Some Liberal NVA schools claim they are afraid to come to Liberty University for VHSL events. I checked the Virginia State Police stats on crimes/incidents on college campus in Virginia.

VCU (site of VHSL basketball tournament) had by far the most incidents: 1243. The next closet school was University of Virginia with 422.

I do not feel safe going to VCU for basketball. I am afraid to look up City of Richmond and City of Hampton stats.

Don't go.

If the truth be told, unless my Springers are there, I'll watch on tv too!...but, when they are there... I fight through the riff-raff to support my peeps! ;)

And buddy, I think you are the odds on favorite to get there again. So put Hampton U. in you GPS.

By the way, how are they doing with the fund raising for the championship rings?

Did you know Coach Rinaldi personally? If so, you were a fortunate man.

Coach%20Rinaldi_n.jpg
And buddy, I think you are the odds on favorite to get there again. So put Hampton U. in you GPS.

By the way, how are they doing with the fund raising for the championship rings?

Did you know Coach Rinaldi personally? If so, you were a fortunate man.
I think they are pretty close with the rings. They are supposed to get them very soon. Yes, I did know Coach Rinaldi. He was my Social Studies teacher in grade 11 and my Government teacher in grade 12 at HSHS. He was truly a great teacher, person and coach. I am still good friends with his daughter Tina, who was in my graduating class of 1976. Also, I am friends with his son Bruce too.

Last edited:
I think they are pretty close with the rings. They are supposed to get them very soon. Yes, I did know Coach Rinaldi. He was my Social Studies teacher in grade 11 and my Government teacher in grade 12 at HSHS. He was truly a great teacher, person and coach. I am still good friends with his daughter Tina, who was in my graduating class of 1976. Also, I am friends with his son Bruce too.

Hey DP, I've been seeing some of the camp clips that our guys have been attending... All I can tell you is.... they are turning heads, attracting offers already for our upcoming players, and getting bigger, stronger and faster every day.
I'm sensing we will be a VERY tough draw on anybodies schedule this fall. I doubt you will see many (if any) weaknesses on this team! I can't wait!!!!!!!!

I'm glad they are close on the rings. A lot better than the last championship rings. How many years did it take your buddy to get his ring for the other championship? And how is he doing? He is a neat fellow. I'm glad I had the chance to meet him.

I'm glad they are close on the rings. A lot better than the last championship rings. How many years did it take your buddy to get his ring for the other championship? And how is he doing? He is a neat fellow. I'm glad I had the chance to meet him.
I don't know anything about the order process of those '61 rings. I THINK there is only 3 players left from that team! So... They got those rings in 2014. So, it took 54 years to get them! Coach Rinaldi was the coach then.

I tried to post a picture of Coach Rinaldi holding the news paper clip the day after we won the title. I can't seem to get it on here. I'll message it to you.

I can't get it opened or posted. I will forward your email to our buddy Mike Salem. I'm sure he can figure out a way.

Anybody scared to go to Lynchburg is to big of a pansy to be allowed to do any sports (or academic activities in Virginia). I will have send my pet bunny rabbit to their house to frighten them.

The VHSL should not bow down to the Liberals, if they are scared to come to Lynchburg, just forfeit and stay home.

I believe Liberty University is rated the 2nd safest college campus in America. It's a lot safer than VCU, where state basketball tournament is held. I go to Lynchburg sometimes without my gun. I never go to Richmond unarmed.

Are you people serious???? This has nothing at all to do with being scared to be in Lynchburg. It has everything to do with not wanting to imply any support at all of Liberty's bigotry. How did you interpret their objections to "fear of Lynchburg"???????

Are you people serious???? This has nothing at all to do with being scared to be in Lynchburg. It has everything to do with not wanting to imply any support at all of Liberty's bigotry. How did you interpret their objections to "fear of Lynchburg"???????

Broad Street is a very scary place to drive. :) :)

Broad Street is a very scary place to drive. :) :)
I live on Broad St, it's not bad at all. (The one in Salem) I know the one in Richmond is notoriously much scarier. On my Broad St, I commonly drive my wheelchair out after dark, especially in summer. I don't think I'd be so brave or stupid to do the same on Richmond's version.

Mike, kind of a "tongue in cheek" comment of mine, that is actually about half true. You would probably be safer at night on the downtown section of Richmond's Broad Street, than you would be during the day out on West Broad! Downtown is such a menagerie of characters, mostly everybody leaves everybody alone. Out in the fashionable "West End", you take your life in your hands anytime you are even close to the road. Traffic as bad as it gets with all of the urbanites glued to their phones while they drive. You would be road pizza in a matter of hours. And that's if you stayed on the sidewalk!

Hey MBK, tell us about your Monarchs. What do think about your chances this fall?

I live on Broad St, it's not bad at all. (The one in Salem) I know the one in Richmond is notoriously much scarier. On my Broad St, I commonly drive my wheelchair out after dark, especially in summer. I don't think I'd be so brave or stupid to do the same on Richmond's version.
I was just poking fun at HR6. He's ranted on occasion about how he couldn't manage to find the Siegel Center & that there was nowhere to park (despite the parking garage right there).

Reactions: mike salem
THERE'S NO APPLEBEE'S WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE, WHAT IS THIS????

Mike, kind of a "tongue in cheek" comment of mine, that is actually about half true. You would probably be safer at night on the downtown section of Richmond's Broad Street, than you would be during the day out on West Broad! Downtown is such a menagerie of characters, mostly everybody leaves everybody alone. Out in the fashionable "West End", you take your life in your hands anytime you are even close to the road. Traffic as bad as it gets with all of the urbanites glued to their phones while they drive. You would be road pizza in a matter of hours. And that's if you stayed on the sidewalk!
DP is making me RVA homesick!! I have lived on Broad St (Belvidere/Broad corner) for a year and it's very interesting on the perceptions on here. Other than the homeless begging (which is about the biggest pain in the azz that I've encountered) I feel safer in this area than I do in the city of Danville (which I think is leading the state in violent crimes or malicious assaults).. RVA is about as nice of a place as you'll find, just stay out of Southside and Chamberlayne Ave area.

Reactions: springer76
DP is making me RVA homesick!! I have lived on Broad St (Belvidere/Broad corner) for a year and it's very interesting on the perceptions on here. Other than the homeless begging (which is about the biggest pain in the azz that I've encountered) I feel safer in this area than I do in the city of Danville (which I think is leading the state in violent crimes or malicious assaults).. RVA is about as nice of a place as you'll find, just stay out of Southside and Chamberlayne Ave area.

Agree fully. Along as you are not bothered by eccentric people, you should feel comfortable in RVA. Is it perfectly safe? Of course not. But no city, in fact virtually nowhere, is safe enough to let your guard fully down.

Ordinary "wise" and "aware" behavior is all that is really called for. And knowledge of areas to stay away from is mandatory. But isn't this true everywhere you go?

Now, don't get me wrong. Your stomping grounds DSH, is not my cup of tea. But I'm 62. You are 22. But I don't hesitate to go to Richmond for food or entertainment, if the notion strikes me.

There are areas of Petersburg that I will not go in in broad daylight, let alone at night. (But I have no reason to.) The flip side of that is our regular dining out area IS Petersburg. The area known as the Old Town is reviled only by Richmond for fine dining experiences.

My point is, when I say "Petersburg", you recoil. And rightfully so. But the reality is not all of Petersburg is bad. Just like Richmond. There are "good areas", and "bad areas". Just make good choices, and everything is fine.

So, when it's time to take in games in the Richmond area, use common sense, and enjoy the experience. Especially the food!!!!!!!.

Hey DSH, what's your favorite places to eat there in Richmond. Between you and ClarkeFan, for me it's like having a couple of personal concierges.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Agree fully. Along as you are not bothered by eccentric people, you should feel comfortable in RVA. Is it perfectly safe? Of course not. But no city, in fact virtually nowhere, is safe enough to let your guard fully down.

Ordinary "wise" and "aware" behavior is all that is really called for. And knowledge of areas to stay away from is mandatory. But isn't this true everywhere you go?

Now, don't get me wrong. Your stomping grounds DSH, is not my cup of tea. But I'm 62. You are 22. But I don't hesitate to go to Richmond for food or entertainment, if the notion strikes me.

There are areas of Petersburg that I will not go in in broad daylight, let alone at night. (But I have no reason to.) The flip side of that is our regular dining out area IS Petersburg. The area known as the Old Town is reviled only by Richmond for fine dining experiences.

My point is, when I say "Petersburg", you recoil. And rightfully so. But the reality is not all of Petersburg is bad. Just like Richmond. There are "good areas", and "bad areas". Just make good choices, and everything is fine.

So, when it's time to take in games in the Richmond area, use common sense, and enjoy the experience. Especially the food!!!!!!!.

Hey DSH, what's your favorite places to eat there in Richmond. Between you and ClarkeFan, for me it's like having a couple of personal concierges.
I love it DP!!! I agree 100%, you can never let your guard down, that's the biggest rule in the book!! As far as eating goes, I get around! My favorite eating place while I'm in Richmond, is actually an hour up the road in Charlottesville at the Wood Grill on 29N. I try to get up there and treat myself at least every month/other month to the buffet. In Richmond I love Mojo's which is on Cary St near the VCU campus. 50 cent wing Monday's are just heaven to my ears and stomach! They have pretty good beer specials also but the food specials is what keeps me coming back. I'm also a City Dogs Fan which is on Main St. in the Fan. Great hot dogs, I think they're $1 on Tuesdays as long as you buy a drink or a side. Croaker's Spot on Hull St is where I go when I want a good home cooked meal. They treat you right there. Good chicken, fish, Mac and cheese, corn bread and all the fixings! Mama J's on 2nd is darn good too, but I love Croaker's Spot. When I don't have the extra money to splurge I usually go to Chipotle in Carytown or the one near old Cloverleaf on Midlothian.. I try to eat in Chesterfield because the food tax in Henrico is ridiculous!! That's hard because I love the Bojangles on Nine Mile Rd, but fortunately I found a very good one on Jeff Davis right after you leave the city going towards Chester (Route 10). Last but not least, I love Captain Georges in Williamsburg. About 35 minutes from downtown RVA but totally worth the drive. Now it's $32 a person but if you want to treat yourself and you're a seafood fan and like crab legs, crab cake, and all that good stuff, then that's the place to go. I like coming to Colonial Heights to the mall. It's actually my favorite place to come besides Chesterfield Town Center. You can find a darn good Chic Fil A in both malls. I guess I love junk food lol but that's what has made me go from 170 lbs to 196 in the past 7 months :D:D

And how could I forget Home Team Grill in the Fan!! For the VCU basketball away games that I can't make, I go there! Great place to watch the games whether it's NFL, NCAA, MLB or NBA basketball. I attend all of the home games and most of the away games but I've seen some footage of that place even when VCU isn't playing and it's just a fun atmosphere to be in! Definitely my remmendation if you're looking for a good sports bar!

That is where Clarkefan was supposed to go a couple of weekends ago, but his plans got changed and he went to Metzgers instead. His word, "AWESOME"!!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT