ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Turner resigns

I wonder if they are health related, I think he stepped down previously due to health issues.

I wonder if they are health related, I think he stepped down previously due to health issues.

I would think health reasons have to be involved, in this situation. I have never met Turner, but from what I have read and seen of him in the local media, and from what people have said of him, he seems to be a pretty intense guy. As is the case with most people like that, I imagine it is probably pretty hard for him to dial that intensity back. I could see a physician telling him something along the lines of, “If you keep doing this, don’t expect to be doing it for long.” That’s total guess work on my part, but I can’t see someone who seems to be a dedicated professional like Turner just bailing on a team three games into the season, even if that season has gotten off to a disappointing start. Of course, one never knows what’s going on behind the scenes with administration, parents, and all that kind of stuff.

I thought Turner would get Carroll turned around, to a large degree. Not necessarily state contenders in Class 3, but at least to the point where between six to eight wins was the new norm, along with regular playoff appearances. Especially with Carroll‘s schedule, which is all Class 1 and Class 2 teams; Carroll could qualify for the Class 3 playoffs without ever defeating a team in their own classification. When the Cavaliers dropped their opener to Patrick County, I think we all knew they were in for yet another long season (figuratively speaking) in Hillsville.

https://www.thecarrollnews.com/news/6284/turner-resigns-as-carroll-football-coach

Based on the article, it certainly doesn't sound like the interim was very loyal to Turner. I mean even if he resigned for health reasons, just scrap the whole offense mid-season? Something doesn't smell right.

I read that article twice, and it doesn’t state what position on the staff Burcham currently holds. He basically said he hates “three yards and a cloud of dust”-style football, and wants to do things his way while he has the chance. He flat out said, “The worst we can do is go 0-7”, so he must not be too concerned about his won-loss record. It kind of sounds like he doesn’t expect to be coach next year either way. So, they will run the spread, the kids will have more fun, and they’ll most likely go 0-7. Which they very well might have done, anyway. Looking at the Cavs’ schedule, only Floyd County and Alleghany seem to offer realistic hopes of picking up a win.

Last edited:
I agree, but it just doesn't make sense to me. If your head coach has to resign because of health reasons, you, as an assistant, just say screw that guy, I'm going to junk everything he was trying to build? Not any loyal assistant coach I know. Seems from his quotes he never bought in, and worse yet, insinuates the kids merely survived his hard coaching style. Just doesn't seem like an assistant whose head coach had to abruptly leave the game for health reasons. I just hope Coach Turner didn't get a raw deal. Seems to be a growing trend these days.

I agree, but it just doesn't make sense to me. If your head coach has to resign because of health reasons, you, as an assistant, just say screw that guy, I'm going to junk everything he was trying to build? Not any loyal assistant coach I know. Seems from his quotes he never bought in, and worse yet, insinuates the kids merely survived his hard coaching style. Just doesn't seem like an assistant whose head coach had to abruptly leave the game for health reasons. I just hope Coach Turner didn't get a raw deal. Seems to be a growing trend these days.

“Seems from his quotes he never bought in, and worse yet, insinuates the kids merely survived his hard coaching style.”

Yes, I’d say going just by his quotes from that article, I get that impression, as well. I don’t know Burcham either, so it is just an impression created by those remarks. But I don’t think we know enough - and probably never will - to make any kind of connection between Burcham’s statements, and Turner’s health situation (whatever that may be). I will say that it does seem a tiny bit odd that Burcham didn’t say something along the lines of wishing Turner well, etc. But then again - maybe he did say something like that, and the editors didn’t include it in the article.

The bottom line here seems to be that, from the information given, we really can’t draw any conclusions about what transpired to lead to this abrupt change. Anything any of us say is pure speculation. Carroll County’s situation is an unusual one that raises several questions, but I think they’re going to remain unanswered - for a while, at least.

Come on guys one thing says "health reasons" one says "personal reasons." anyone who knows anything about Coach Turner knows there's a lot more behind this than either of the "reasons;" the man would rather have a stroke on the field than to step down.....way more to this story than what any of these articles are saying....also heard this morning that the superintendent took a leave of absence....somehow I think these situations are connected.

Come on guys one thing says "health reasons" one says "personal reasons." anyone who knows anything about Coach Turner knows there's a lot more behind this than either of the "reasons;" the man would rather have a stroke on the field than to step down.....way more to this story than what any of these articles are saying....also heard this morning that the superintendent took a leave of absence....somehow I think these situations are connected.
Agreed. There is definitely more to this. Wish nothing but the best for the man.

Jack is a very nice guy. I met him a couple of years ago at a girl's lacrosse or soccer game right about the time the news broke that he was headed to Carroll Co. He came over and introduced himself to me and we talked for a couple minutes. I don't know what the situation is, but I wish him and his family nothing but the best.

Reactions: Optimal62

Me: “The bottom line here seems to be that, from the information given, we really can’t draw any conclusions about what transpired to lead to this abrupt change.”

You: “...way more to this story than what any of these articles are saying....”

Two different ways of saying the same thing. We are in agreement.

Regardless of how or why it happened, Carroll County’s future in football now looks less rosy than ever, if that’s possible. The administration hated being placed in the River Ridge District in 2013, and spent four years trying to get out of it. So, they managed to get themselves placed in a district where they have a distinct enrollment advantage over every other school. Despite the move, the Cavs still are only going to manage to win one or two district games - and just lost a good coach, on top of everything.

So - what now?!

Last edited:

It does not matter what his reason(s) for stepping down are or were. I can say that when he coached my son 2006-2008 he was one of the most committed and knowledgeable coaches I have ever been around whether playing or observing the game. I am not sure what kind of connection or rumor you are trying to spread but let me squash that rumor right now. I went to school with and am a friend of the Superintendent and for your information and your "source(s)" information she took a leave of absence to deal with a sick family member and that is all that needs to be said about that. I certainly do not pretend to know nor will I speculate as to what happened with this situation but it is my understanding in talking with people in the past (even some locals) that the environment in CC is as one gentleman put it "toxic". I wish Coach Turner nothing but the best moving forward in what ever the future holds for him.

That is interesting. Probably connected if we ever here

It does not matter what his reason(s) for stepping down are or were. I can say that when he coached my son 2006-2008 he was one of the most committed and knowledgeable coaches I have ever been around whether playing or observing the game. I am not sure what kind of connection or rumor you are trying to spread but let me squash that rumor right now. I went to school with and am a friend of the Superintendent and for your information and your "source(s)" information she took a leave of absence to deal with a sick family member and that is all that needs to be said about that. I certainly do not pretend to know nor will I speculate as to what happened with this situation but it is my understanding in talking with people in the past (even some locals) that the environment in CC is as one gentleman put it "toxic". I wish Coach Turner nothing but the best moving forward in what ever the future holds for him.

So you are telling me you see no way there’s a correlation in these two situations??? Plus, I haven’t seen a comment that states he was a bad coach or a bad person; however, let’s not “squash” all the rumors because from everything I’ve heard from inside the school and school board I’m not so sure it was a “rumor” more of a “turn the blind eye” situation. You hit the nail on the head with toxic situation; that’s why kids left to go to Galax, that’s why the brothers from NC left, that’s why there’s only a couple guys on staff who have been there through Turners short tenure. I wish coach the best moving forward and that he gets his “health” and “personal” issue taken care of. I doubt we have seen the last of Coach Turner, I’m sure we’ll see him roaming the sidelines somewhere in a year or two.

So you are telling me you see no way there’s a correlation in these two situations??? Plus, I haven’t seen a comment that states he was a bad coach or a bad person; however, let’s not “squash” all the rumors because from everything I’ve heard from inside the school and school board I’m not so sure it was a “rumor” more of a “turn the blind eye” situation. You hit the nail on the head with toxic situation; that’s why kids left to go to Galax, that’s why the brothers from NC left, that’s why there’s only a couple guys on staff who have been there through Turners short tenure. I wish coach the best moving forward and that he gets his “health” and “personal” issue taken care of. I doubt we have seen the last of Coach Turner, I’m sure we’ll see him roaming the sidelines somewhere in a year or two.

I am not telling you anything other than what I KNOW in regards to the Superintendent and her being absent. As I said I do not know nor will I speculate as to why Coach Turner step down because it does not matter at least to me. As far as what you hear or heard from inside the school and the school board that is childish bulls*** at best if true for teachers and administrators to spread rumors about a staff member just because they may not like them, they are "not one of their own" or whatever the reasoning. That certainly would explain a toxic environment when you have a bunch of adults acting like bunch of snotty nose children. You can call it what you want to call it but without facts or admissions then it is all speculation and rumor. At some point we have to either continue to feed the rumor mill or not. It is clear what you have chosen. I would certainly caution the staff at CC to be very cautious as to what you say when it comes to personnel especially if you do not have facts to back it up. That could lead to a whole other monster that they may not want to deal with. As far as from a football prospective one thing I have learned in life is be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. They can now go and hire one of "their own" which sounds based on what you say you hear is what some have probably wanted all along.

You are right meatchop08; we will call it "rumors" for now and just go on about our lives. We will wait this thing out and see if anymore information come out or if everything just goes silent. It will be interesting to see if Coach Turner returns next year as a teacher or if the superintendent comes back next school year; I think that will tell us a little. I do want to wish the interim coach the best as he has several winnable games left on the schedule, I think his idea of getting the kids input into what they would like to do is kind of a smart idea; at least they will buy in 100% and give it their all because they know they are invested in the decision. He shouldn't have any pressure on him as this was dropped in his lap. For everyone saying that he didn't seem like a good assistant coach because hes making the changes.....come on, where ever you work you never question your boss in your head and think about the changes you'd make if you had the chance. It could be his one chance and he wants to do it his way which is what the title of head coach allows him to do.

You are right meatchop08; we will call it "rumors" for now and just go on about our lives. We will wait this thing out and see if anymore information come out or if everything just goes silent. It will be interesting to see if Coach Turner returns next year as a teacher or if the superintendent comes back next school year; I think that will tell us a little. I do want to wish the interim coach the best as he has several winnable games left on the schedule, I think his idea of getting the kids input into what they would like to do is kind of a smart idea; at least they will buy in 100% and give it their all because they know they are invested in the decision. He shouldn't have any pressure on him as this was dropped in his lap. For everyone saying that he didn't seem like a good assistant coach because hes making the changes.....come on, where ever you work you never question your boss in your head and think about the changes you'd make if you had the chance. It could be his one chance and he wants to do it his way which is what the title of head coach allows him to do.
From A Carroll County Player:
Don't believe the rumors and who cares. Coach Turner believed in us and worked harder than any Coach could to help us get bigger, stronger and better football players. He believed in us when most didn't, he gave us a reason to work harder than ever before. Coach Turner is still running the weightlifting program for the Football Team and will continue to do so. We are going to win more games because he told we would. I and many other players and parents hope he coaches again and has great success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT