ADVERTISEMENT

James Monroe releases Serbay

I don't post a great deal on here anymore for a number of reasons. I will say that the decision to "let Coach Serbay go" is a head scratcher. My hats off to you Coach Serbay for all you did for all kids at James Monroe, and for being a role model to so many there and to so many coaches who worked with and against you! This former coach from the Valley salutes you and will always be one of your biggest fans. Best of luck to you Serb!

Wow. I guess 35 years and 4 state titles doesn't garner you the respect to go out on your own terms anymore. I know he had some medical issues but it's still unbelievable.

https://www.fredericksburg.com/spor...gn=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Agreed. He certainly isn't the coach he was years ago with his declining health but without question his heart was all in. His personality was still great and though his sight was declining, i'll be damned if he couldn't still recognize people's voices. Great leader of men, has all my respect. Hopefully they keep it in house and continue what he started with one of his long tenured assistants.

Reactions: gwb16
I think that those people in the school/school board cabal that took this action should be ashamed of themselves (but I doubt that they will be).

My favorite Serbay memory - I was a freshman at Stafford, Serbay was the OL coach there and worked with wrestling and baseball too but anyway, me and another heavyweight were wrestling - Serbay shakes his head ruefully and says with mock disgust in front of everybody "Looks like two pigs makin' love!" Me and the other wrestler have laughed about that for going on 40 years.

I have always wished that he had become Stafford's coach back in '81 when there was an opening. Wouldn't have been the same Fredericksburg environment that he loved but would've been interesting to see what he would have done there.

Best wishes to you Coach in whatever you decide to do - thanks for the memories!

This guy did so much for the kids of the City of Fredericksburg. I don't think I'm outlandish in saying this or even over the top. But Serbay probably saved the lives and futures of many City kids who had no lives or futures and all he did was show belief in them.

Shouldn't that be what everyone in education wants?

And I say this as a grad of a high school who played against and never has liked James Monroe. But Serbay at least should have went out on his own terms and deserves to be respected for his accomplishments.

I just hate it for him!!! The poor guy will go out of coaching doing nothing wrong and feel like he was screwed over by the team and school he loved. It hurts my heart for this guy.

https://www.starexponent.com/sports...cle_257840cd-9cd1-55f1-a379-64c92ff06411.html
I hate the typical "this is a personnel matter" B.S. If he did something to get fired, say it. What's the secret?
As a former school board member, it is not B.S., it is the law. Unless the employee releases you from legal consequences, you cannot say a word. Now it might still be B.S. that they got rid of him, but by law they cannot talk about it. Even when an employee is arrested, all they can say is "he is no longer employed by the school system"

As a former school board member, it is not B.S., it is the law. Unless the employee releases you from legal consequences, you cannot say a word. Now it might still be B.S. that they got rid of him, but by law they cannot talk about it. Even when an employee is arrested, all they can say is "he is no longer employed by the school system"
Correct...it is the law. I'm just saying it's B.S.

Reactions: bulldog1150
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT