ADVERTISEMENT

Jefferson Forest vs LCA!!

If they do not get the HSHS vs. Freedom matchup they desire will they vote to switch back in future years? I am not sure the best way to do semi seedings and matchups to give the best probability that the likely 2 best teams ultimately end up in the finals as opposed to the finals kind of being anticlimactic after semis.
It’s going to start rotating in 2025 anyway

If they do not get the HSHS vs. Freedom matchup they desire will they vote to switch back in future years? I am not sure the best way to do semi seedings and matchups to give the best probability that the likely 2 best teams ultimately end up in the finals as opposed to the finals kind of being anticlimactic after semis.
I’m glad it’s rotating, but why not just rank the 4 region champs 1-4 by points? Obviously most points doesn’t necessarily mean best team. But I am tired of seeing the same region matchups in the state semis.

There is no way to get the best two teams in the Finals unless they are on opposite sides of the State. C3 use to cross bracket in the semifinals and 2 teams from Roanoke area played for the title. Blacksburg vs Staunton River. This is not how I see a State Championship. I want to see teams that are not neighbors play.
Then you throw in the fact that programs change over the yrs along with what teams play in regions
Region C has become better because they have moved teams like Tuscarora and Broad Run down from C5. The same for Varina in Region B.
Region D goes from Danville to Winchester 😂😂. Totally makes sense

There is no way to get the best two teams in the Finals unless they are on opposite sides of the State. C3 use to cross bracket in the semifinals and 2 teams from Roanoke area played for the title. Blacksburg vs Staunton River. This is not how I see a State Championship. I want to see teams that are not neighbors play.
Then you throw in the fact that programs change over the yrs along with what teams play in regions
Region C has become better because they have moved teams like Tuscarora and Broad Run down from C5. The same for Varina in Region B.
Region D goes from Danville to Winchester 😂😂. Totally makes sense
That foolishness you refer to in Region D has been going on for a long time in a variety of classifications. They let the Fairfax and Richmond schools pick their regions and then they shove GW and NW schools in to a gerrymandered region. The VHSL has always catered to the larger school divisions and everyone else gets the crumbs.

That foolishness you refer to in Region D has been going on for a long time in a variety of classifications. They let the Fairfax and Richmond schools pick their regions and then they shove GW and NW schools in to a gerrymandered region. The VHSL has always catered to the larger school divisions and everyone else gets the crumbs.
@cutnjump, I don't necessarily agree about the Richmond comment. In 6, 5, 4, and 3 the regions are combined with other areas. 6 has Richmond Metro and 757 teams, 5 two regions of 757 teams and one of a combined Richmond Metro Charlottesville and Roanoke area teams. 4 has Richmond Metro and Battlefield teams. 3 has Region A Richmond Metro and 757 and B Richmond Metro and Northern VA teams. When everybody in Richmond played AAA, 6A, and 5A yes there was specific Richmond regions, but look at the number of teams there was in our area. There is/was 7 teams in the Central District and everybody played up. Now Dinwiddie, Petersburg, Hopewell, and Colonial Heights play in divisions that match their enrollment. You also must consider that we have four districts with most teams (Dinwiddie, Powhatan, and Patrick Henry Ashland being outliers) within 30 minutes of each other. It only makes since.

Reactions: cutnjump
@cutnjump, I don't necessarily agree about the Richmond comment. In 6, 5, 4, and 3 the regions are combined with other areas. 6 has Richmond Metro and 757 teams, 5 two regions of 757 teams and one of a combined Richmond Metro Charlottesville and Roanoke area teams. 4 has Richmond Metro and Battlefield teams. 3 has Region A Richmond Metro and 757 and B Richmond Metro and Northern VA teams. When everybody in Richmond played AAA, 6A, and 5A yes there was specific Richmond regions, but look at the number of teams there was in our area. There is/was 7 teams in the Central District and everybody played up. Now Dinwiddie, Petersburg, Hopewell, and Colonial Heights play in divisions that match their enrollment. You also must consider that we have four districts with most teams (Dinwiddie, Powhatan, and Patrick Henry Ashland being outliers) within 30 minutes of each other. It only makes since.
My comment stems from many years when teams like GW, the Winchester Area, etc., have had to drive right by Richmond and/or NOVA for playoff games. Things have lessened in 5 and 6 now simply because there just are not many, if any, of those schools left in those classifications. That being said, the larger school divisions have and still do wield a lot of power with the geographic groupings developed.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I don't disagree with you. I remember those rides in the 80's. Football, wrestling, and baseball.

Reactions: cutnjump
I'm hoping not because I want to laugh at the VHSL's continued ineptitude for their unjustifiable actions of changing the bracket in-season just to appease a handful of people.

If the bracket is going to change, then start at the beginning of the each four year cycle and rotate through the various pairings for every class...not just one of them.
That is a fair point. I've always been a fan of reseeding after the Region Championship round anyway.

I think it would be pretty simple to do semi-final seedings. Just use the same system they use in the regular season but divide by the new number of games played after each round.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT