ADVERTISEMENT

JM at "The Throne" tournament

otnorot

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 31, 2006
They got the #1 seed in this "national" tournament. Here is the article from MaxPreps:

The MaxPreps guy does not seem impressed with the tournament but it looks like a solid field. As I mentioned in the other thread, technically this is a "club" tournament where all the players on each team are from the same high school but a lot of teams probably won't be able to have their normal coaches. JM opens with "Golden Eagles", which is Eagle's Landing from Georgia, who went 29-2 on the season, losing in the Georgia 5A final to Kell, who are also in the tournament.

The GEICO State Champions Invitational is in DC this year, would be nice if VHSL teams could be eligible for that in the future.

Reactions: pizzzzza
MaxPreps

John Marshall, Camden, Columbus, Centennial among high school teams posing as club teams in the postseason exhibition.

Or should this read

"John Marshall a club team posing as a high school team":p

Reactions: M11H16D18H
JM plays Central Cabarrus NC ("NC Vikings") at 4:00 today on NBA TV. Central Cabarrus was 32-0 and NC Class 3A champs but they do not have their regular coach with them.

North Carolina has a rule that doesn't allow the High School Coach to Coach in this tournament? I will be interested if any rules will be implemented in VA regarding the JM situation. I would bet something happens, just not sure it will matter, depending on what the rule(s) is/are.

"Due to N.C. rules, Central Cabarrus is called the N.C. Vikings and are wearing powder blue uniforms and not their usual green and gold. Also, head coach Jim Baker is not allowed to coach. A team parent, Bronwyn Smyre Kent-Glover, is coaching their team."

North Carolina has a rule that doesn't allow the High School Coach to Coach in this tournament? I will be interested if any rules will be implemented in VA regarding the JM situation. I would bet something happens, just not sure it will matter, depending on what the rule(s) is/are.

"Due to N.C. rules, Central Cabarrus is called the N.C. Vikings and are wearing powder blue uniforms and not their usual green and gold. Also, head coach Jim Baker is not allowed to coach. A team parent, Bronwyn Smyre Kent-Glover, is coaching their team."

Different states all have different rules. I don't think the Texas teams were able to have their normal coaches either. The Ohio team could only bring three underclassmen. Whereas South Carolina allowed Dorman to play as a school team and just deducted it from their offseason practice allotment.

This is what the VHSL said to the Times-Dispatch:

"VHSL representative Mike McCall said via email on Wednesday that the Judges are competing within VHSL rules as an unattached team. McCall added that other athletes in sports like wrestling routinely compete in a similarly unattached capacity at national-level tournaments."

JM loses 67-65. Fell behind early, played better defense in the second half and briefly took the lead, but couldn't pull it out.

My take:

People make a lot out of nothing. This Central Cabarrus team only has 1 player with an D1 offer. They were very average sized and the kids who play there are all neighborhood kids who has been playing together since youth league. Betcha their coach didn’t tell them that they don’t stand a chance. My point, JM simply beat teams who were not that good during their playoff run and the Class 2 coaches used a lot of crutches and excuses along the way. I live in NC and watch many games here. JM would’ve been maybe the 6th or 7th best team here. In fact, they almost lost to Holly Springs (65-63 JM win) and they were one of the middle of the pack teams I saw. North Mecklenburg, Chambers, Myers Park, Richmond Senior, Central Cabarrus, Northwood and Farmville Central were all better than JM and any other team in VA including Paul VI.

Oh yeah, Central’s coach who beat JM was the mom of one of their players.

You're being way too hard on JM. Obviously they had very soft playoff competition here but they had legit out-of-state wins, including wins over teams that beat some of the teams on your list. I am definitely not an expert on NC basketball, but Holly Springs went 26-6 and made it to the semis in the largest class, which does not sound middle of the pack to me.

JM is not the top team in the country, but they were deserving of a spot in the rankings.

Reactions: AntGZee
looking at the game this evening I believe that Radford would’ve played a similar back and forth game v that NC team. Favorable matchups in post. With that being said, with Allmond playing I think the outcome would’ve been different. Great team win for Central Cabarrus, fought til the end.

You're being way too hard on JM. Obviously they had very soft playoff competition here but they had legit out-of-state wins, including wins over teams that beat some of the teams on your list. I am definitely not an expert on NC basketball, but Holly Springs went 26-6 and made it to the semis in the largest class, which does not sound middle of the pack to me.

JM is not the top team in the country, but they were deserving of a spot in the rankings.
How am I being hard on them? I’ve defended them most of the year. Simply put, they weren’t as unbeatable as most on these boards made them out to be.

Holly Springs was a middle of the pack team in NC. That’s not a discredit to them, they weren’t as good as any of those teams mentioned by 10-15 points.

looking at the game this evening I believe that Radford would’ve played a similar back and forth game v that NC team. Favorable matchups in post. With that being said, with Allmond playing I think the outcome would’ve been different. Great team win for Central Cabarrus, fought til the end.
Radford could’ve done the same vs JM but their coach wanted a pity party.

JM had to play small ball with freshman center going to Colorado to tryout for team USA and they also didn’t have they coach. Cabarrus is good team but I think if the big play then they lose

How am I being hard on them? I’ve defended them most of the year. Simply put, they weren’t as unbeatable as most on these boards made them out to be.

Holly Springs was a middle of the pack team in NC. That’s not a discredit to them, they weren’t as good as any of those teams mentioned by 10-15 points.
I get what Bo is saying. Basically none of the playoff teams had the mentality of "Let's punch them in the face" and see what happens. None of those teams would've actually won but have some pride and make them fight for the win at least.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
JM had to play small ball with freshman center going to Colorado to tryout for team USA and they also didn’t have they coach. Cabarrus is good team but I think if the big play then they lose
I respect your takes and I’d say it would be very close. CC played well against the Word of God’s and Combine Academy’s. I think if John Marshall had played in the John Wall instead of the tournament in SC, they would’ve had 1 or 2 losses on their schedule.

I get what Bo is saying. Basically none of the playoff teams had the mentality of "Let's punch them in the face" and see what happens. None of those teams would've actually won but have some pride and make them fight for the win at least.
Thanks bro. VA basketball was down in general but especially our 804 boys. It just goes to show you how good the 804 brand is. Varina was good enough to win the state championship but wasn’t as dominant as they’ve been, Springers just didn’t look like they were focused this year, I’ve never really been that impressed with Hopewell and though they were overrated from jump but felt like they underperformed, and Petersburg, Manchester, JR and Bird were all down. Marshall was hands down the best team in the area. I think Hayfield would’ve gave them a game, maybe Patriot for a half or so, a Northside game would’ve been fun to watch but JM had too much size … Many people will laugh, but I think Lancaster would’ve put up a really good fight. They had some dogs and wouldn’t have backed down, even though JM would’ve still won by 20. Hear the 75 people talk, they will swear that Woodside and Menchville were up there with Marshall but I think Marshall still wins comfortably.

I think if John Marshall had played in the John Wall instead of the tournament in SC, they would’ve had 1 or 2 losses on their schedule.
The John Wall is a strong tournament but the bracket they likely would have played in with the normal high schools wasn't as tough as what they faced at the Chick-Fil-A (Columbus, Wheeler, Greensboro Day).

Obviously if they had been in the bracket with Prolific Prep and Combine or the small bracket with Camden, those would have been major challenges.

JM "is beatable argument" isn't the same as, "JM bends the rules argument". It seems JM didn't have at least one of their recruited players for this tournament.

Bo is only commenting to s$#@ on the ones fed up with it.

Thanks bro. VA basketball was down in general but especially our 804 boys. It just goes to show you how good the 804 brand is. Varina was good enough to win the state championship but wasn’t as dominant as they’ve been, Springers just didn’t look like they were focused this year, I’ve never really been that impressed with Hopewell and though they were overrated from jump but felt like they underperformed, and Petersburg, Manchester, JR and Bird were all down. Marshall was hands down the best team in the area. I think Hayfield would’ve gave them a game, maybe Patriot for a half or so, a Northside game would’ve been fun to watch but JM had too much size … Many people will laugh, but I think Lancaster would’ve put up a really good fight. They had some dogs and wouldn’t have backed down, even though JM would’ve still won by 20. Hear the 75 people talk, they will swear that Woodside and Menchville were up there with Marshall but I think Marshall still wins comfortably.
I agree with pretty much all of what you said with this post. The one thing we disagree on is Lancaster. Lancaster was good and did a great job at winning the 1A chip. If they played JM, that game would be over by HT. JM would beat Lancaster by 50+.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT