ADVERTISEMENT

JM Vs VA High

Class 2 Boys Basketball Finals, 3:25 left in 1st: John Marshall 7, Virginia High 5.

VHS hanging tough so far.

Deonta Mozell gave Bearcats a 2-0 lead. He just hit a 3

Class 2 Boys Basketball Finals, 1:47 left in 1st:John Marshall 14,Virginia High 11

Technical on Marshall's Dominique Bailey after he scored a bucket.

Virginia High's Deonta Mozell goes 1-for-2 at FT line after T

Class 2 Boys Basketball Finals, 64 seconds left in 1st:John Marshall 16,Virginia High 11

Class 2 Boys Basketball Finals, End 1st:John Marshall 18,Virginia High 11

GIF9aX_bsAABuzr

Class 2 Boys Basketball Finals, 5:32 left in 2nd:John Marshall 26,Virginia High 11

Technical on Virginia High's Te'ron Woolen. Marshall's Redd Thompson makes both FTs.

Class 2 Boys Basketball Finals, 4:43 left in 2nd: John Marshall 28, Virginia High 14

Deonta Mozell 3 for VHS ends a 14-0 run for Marshall.

Unfortunately for VA High, foul trouble is going to make this game get ugly sooner than later.

Reactions: M11H16D18H
Class 2 Boys Basketball Finals, 2:50 left in 2nd: John Marshall 33, Virginia High 16

Class 2 Boys Basketball Finals, Halftime:John Marshall 41, Virginia High 23

VHS outscored 23-12 in the second quarter

Deonta Mozell has 11 points at halftime for Virginia High

Bearcats were outrebounded 24-13 and committed 12 turnovers.

Seven different players have scored for JM.

Class 2 Boys Basketball Finals, 4:09 left in 3rd: John Marshall 56, Virginia High 30

Eight straight points for JM and Virginia High calls a timeout

John Marshall outscored Virginia High 34-9 in the 3rd period, widening their lead to 75-32 as they close in on a three-peat.

It's too bad VA High only goes 6 deep - it definitely caught up with them in the 3rd Q - PLUS JM turned on the afterburners.

Boys Basketball, Class 2 Finals,

Final Score:John Marshall 89, Virginia High 32

John Marshall wins its third straight state title.

HS did not make a field goal over game's final 11:25.

There was a clear lack of urgency in the first half from JM. I am not saying they weren't trying.....
No press. Not hitting the boards very hard. Giving up open 3's. Lack of aggression on the offensive end....
They know they could have won by a lot more than they did.

I think they were turned loose in the 3rd quarter.....
Again, I am not saying this was the plan, but it is very hard to not watch the first half and wonder why there was zero energy. Or, maybe they didn't want to play in the game :)

Because the postseason is a step down for them. The postseason is supposed to be where the games become tougher, not easier.
I understand that believe me!

But where's the JOY of winning a high school state championship?

Listen to the crowd - watch the players from the two games once the buzzer sounds:

There was a clear lack of urgency in the first half from JM. I am not saying they weren't trying.....
No press. Not hitting the boards very hard. Giving up open 3's. Lack of aggression on the offensive end....
They know they could have won by a lot more than they did.

I think they were turned loose in the 3rd quarter.....
Again, I am not saying this was the plan, but it is very hard to not watch the first half and wonder why there was zero energy. Or, maybe they didn't want to play in the game :)
Or was it similar to Leah Thomas in the swimming pool? Try to not win by too much so the critics ease up a bit?

I understand that believe me!

But where's the JOY of winning a high school state championship?

Listen to the crowd - watch the players from the two games once the buzzer sounds:

I think because Wise is a community where everyone knows each other and they're indeed that, a community.

On the other hand, JM boys are a collection of all stars from multiple states and the sense of that small town community feel isn't there like it is in 99.9 percent of class 1 and class 2 schools.

VA High should be extremely proud of themselves for the fight they showed today. Nothing for those guys and their community to hold their heads down about. C1 and C2 are for the rural teams to compete. John Marshall needs to play their national schedule circuit and forgo the VHSL tournament if they are not able to move up to a higher classification. I’m a 804 homer and have no problem with how Ty White runs his program. My thing is, if you’re going to have all of the big dogs, play with the big dogs. Let the rural teams get their shine. Marshall isn’t hurting for a C2 State Championship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT