ADVERTISEMENT

John Marshall getting Class 1 Player of the Year

100% agree. I'm for sure not gonna say JM has never recruited but this feels like parents moving their child to a "better" opportunity, which you all say you are ok with.
Bro the kids are coming to where they’re going to get exposure. I don’t have any problem with it. I do wish the VHSL would let JM play up just so the crybabies would hush. If JM was playing Class 3 or 4, we wouldn’t hear a peep.

You know nothing much was said about JM when they were playing up and winning. Then when they beat Gate City in 2020 before all other games canceled the GC coach started crying and the whaling has gotten worse as the years have gone by. I agree let JM play up. Also agree all should be working to get better. Many teams have players who play multiple sports and don’t concentrate on just one. But can’t fault JM for having kids playing only one sport. Only fault I see is with the VHSL for not allowing JM to play up in classification. I have no dogs in the fight but sure as heck enjoyed my days of coaching both football and basketball.

Maybe because the school zone sizes are similar. Not every school can pull from an area as densely populated as all of Richmond. Easy to say stop crying and get the kids ready.. more difficult to do. I mean they did roll through the playoffs with 60+ avg margin. Sure.. overcome that. The only way to compete is to make your school as attractive as playing for team loaded and addidas and recruit. I get it.. it’s good for the school and the kids and everyone that gets out and wins. I’m all for their success and helping kids make it. But the playing field is uneven.

Have a question. Heard from a friend a few days ago who used to reside in the Richmond area. Asked him about JM. He said from speaking with a couple coaching friends from that area, he thought quite a few of the JM kids attended a Richmond charter school for high academic standards and college prep classes. Don’t know if true or not but impressive if the truth. Can’t fault kids/parents for wanting best academic prep for college. Even if they are excellent basketball players.

Have a question. Heard from a friend a few days ago who used to reside in the Richmond area. Asked him about JM. He said from speaking with a couple coaching friends from that area, he thought quite a few of the JM kids attended a Richmond charter school for high academic standards and college prep classes. Don’t know if true or not but impressive if the truth. Can’t fault kids/parents for wanting best academic prep for college. Even if they are excellent basketball players.
They can attend Community, Open or Franklin Military. They aren’t comprehensive high schools but not charter schools. They are apart of RPS and those students still have to live in the John Marshall zone in order to play for JM.

Isn’t RPS open enrollment? That’s what Coach Scott from Huguenot said on that podcast interview he did with his whole staff. Is JM a different situation than HHS?

I see Jm plays hopewell the first game of the season for hopewell at hopewell, hopewell is talented and loaded hopefully they will give Jm a good game.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I see Jm plays hopewell the first game of the season for hopewell at hopewell, hopewell is talented and loaded hopefully they will give Jm a good game.
Hopewell and Varina would both be my picks to have the teams to beat JM.

I'm assuming all of Hopewell players are coming coming back if no transferred or out hurt they should make a run for a class 3 championship.

I think 2 of Hopewell star players have transferred, c,mise and t,hunter. From my understanding. If so they will be good but not great without those 2.

Sure they don’t have to recruit…when a public school is used to provide a private school team experience without the cost. Why wouldn’t talented players flock there? I’m sure the AAU team and Adidas have nothing to do with the whole program.

How about putting the same effort/resources into the other JM sports so they don’t have to cancel games…like they just did in football?

If it was only about the quality of school or education, wouldn’t all aspects of the school be enhanced instead of just one sport?

But this is a VHSL issue, not a school specific issue.

Last edited:
Sure they don’t have to…when a public school is used to provide a private school team experience without the cost. Why wouldn’t talented players flock there? I’m sure the AAU team and Adidas have nothing to do with the whole program.

How about putting the same effort/resources into the other JM sports so they don’t have to cancel games…like they just did in football?

If it was only about the quality of school or education, wouldn’t all aspects of the school be enhanced instead of just one sport?

But this is a VHSL issue, not a school specific issue.
This!!!

Reactions: MarlburlMan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT