ADVERTISEMENT

JOHN MARSHALL @ SPOTSYLVANIA SCRIMMAGE

skynard1

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 12, 2009
Got my hopes up tonight to go see Spotsy scrimmage John Marshall a team with only 19 varsity players but with all due respect to my boys from post oak I saw very little. I guess the good players that the knights lost for the hazing incidents and the seniors that graduated was too much for the team to overcome. This years team is very slow and small in size but like most Spotsy teams big at heart. If they have any chance to be successful this year it will come from guts and determination as I saw very little talent. the one running back that showed a little talent was Reace Rebco who scored twice on a Marshall defense that the front wall had no resistance and wasn't touched until he hit the secondary.one bright spot for the knights was the play of the QB Trevor Carson. little on the small side but had little mobility but a decent arm. he had little help as the receivers had little speed and size. you could see the Tim Coleman effect on the offense as once again the offense ran smooth with few mistakes. Thank you Tim if it wasn't for you the past two years no telling what the team would look like!
As for the defense once again very small and the marshall backs ran through gaping holes. The pass defense was porous and fortunate Marshall QB was not on target but scored a TD on one of their wide outs making a good catch in the end zone along with another TD that the Marshall receiver much taller than the Spotsy DB out jumped him for another TD. The first half controlled scrimmage ended with Spotsy 3 td's to Marshall 2 td's.
The second half was played under game like conditions and Spotsy was out played all the way. the knights threw a interception and was unable to move the ball at all.The QB was sacked a lot and the backs had no running room. The Justices had a long time consuming drive ending in a score making it Marshall 1 td to spotsy 0 and that ended the agony!
In summing up the scrimmage I saw two teams with little talent with both teams lucky to beat anyone. I feel sorry for coach Johnson as he inherited a mess that he had nothing to cause it.but I have hope on the horizon as with a new AD and principal maybe we have hit the bottom now and have no way to go is up in the next couple years. Hang in their Spotsy play hard and maybe better days will be ahead!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT