ADVERTISEMENT

Just something neat.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
While scrolling through Four Seasons Football, I noticed something that is probably a rarity.

Dublin High School played their first season in 1916. They played five games and went undefeated. They only gave up a total of 6 points all season, that being to Galax.

Exactly the opposite is true with most schools. They struggle mightily to win a game or two those first few years. Heck, most of the time in those first few years they were lucky to score a touchdown.

I assume Dublin was an entirely new school(meaning not a consolidation)? If so that is impressive. Consolidated HS generally are pretty good their first year as they’re in theory combining rosters and doubling(or tripling, even quadrupling) their “starting experience”.

It was everyone in that area's first year of football. Records are very hard to come by. I would not have even know about teams from that area playing in 1916 if it wasn't for Marshall Johnson's research.

I assume Dublin was an entirely new school(meaning not a consolidation)? If so that is impressive. Consolidated HS generally are pretty good their first year as they’re in theory combining rosters and doubling(or tripling, even quadrupling) their “starting experience”.
Researcher27 cleared it up, but I was going to say “ask Bleeding Navy”. I’m pretty sure he had only graduated from high school a few years before 1916. 🤭🤣😇

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT