ADVERTISEMENT

Just who is #1 in the NND??? New rankings...

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Dang, I may be starting to believe that Essex may finally have a challenge in the old NND. I agree that many teams are having somewhat of a down year, but not all.

The Northumberland Indians (3-0) may have the best squad they have had in many years. Coach Cutler and his staff are in their second year with program.

Essex seems to always dominate the NND and still has lots of size, speed, and talent. However, the Trojans have some weaknesses and problems that can certainly be exploited.

Wow, I did not expect that Deep Run would blow Essex out like that (despite being a 5A). Dang, last year Essex destroyed them. Deep Run got a new coach and one fast player (Sophomore) Alden Wheeler (who recently began starting at his position) and turned the tables completely.

Northumberland easily won two games away (last night without Sophomore O star D. Palmer, suffered concussion v Northampton and Luke Jennings, a Senior D Leader, with a broken hand bone). Surry's win v WP helps in the Power Points. Opponents defeated by the Indians have at least 5 combined wins already. NHS could be 5-0 when Essex comes to Heathsville in a few weeks (can't look past Middlesex and Trinity Episcopal who almost beat Sussex).

When was the last time Essex fell to Northumberland? Maybe when Essex was between coaches awhile back....

NND

1) Essex 1-3 (Essex get tiebreaker because of history and losses were to upper level opponents)
1) Northumberland 3-0
3) Lancaster 1-1 (as long as they defeat Middlesex Monday, if not switch with CB)
4) CB 1-2 (lost to 2 tough opponents)
5) Rappahannock 1-3 (HUGE win over the Eagles)
6) W&L (new coach has a very tough rebuilding job)

Feel free to make your opinions known....

That Trinity Episcopal team is a 2 time defending state champion who beat Sussex last year and almost did this year. I don't think they are as strong this year as in the past but are still gonna be a tough one for Northumberland to win

That Trinity Episcopal team is a 2 time defending state champion who beat Sussex last year and almost did this year. I don't think they are as strong this year as in the past but are still gonna be a tough one for Northumberland to win

I completely agree. The Trinity Episcopal game will be a challenge for Northumberland indeed. It will certainly be a great tune up to get ready for NND play. I have never paid much attention to private school football besides scores but have recently read some info.

The game will be played at Northumberland which should help the Indian cause.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
2011 was the last time Northumberland beat Essex,14-0 at Essex and I believe that was the year of a coaching change in Essex. 2011 was Northumberland's last season to finish with a winning record and finished district runner up. Northumberland has depth this year which is something they haven't had in a while. Not often a team can say they have three QBs with multiple td pass games. Next few games for Northumberland will determine how the season goes. Very rare does a team have five strength home games. Also looking forward to the Trinity game I agree with uvacavs this game will be a great game to play before district play and could be a good wakeup call as Trinity can play on a state level.

Last edited:
Reactions: uvacavs1
1) Is the LHS-Middlesex game still on with these storms? Middlesex was pretty good last year, like 7 wins I think, whipped NHS last season.

2) I've heard a few folks say that Essex is not that good this season. Obviously, these misguided folks have just seen the records. Essex may very well be 1-4 when NND play starts and run the table, go 5-0 in the NND (as some have suggested). Riversportsfan could be correct when he said that he was concerned about the confidence of a young team feeling way down with such an early brutal schedule.

3) Trinity Episcopal sent 5 guys last season to the next level, impressive. They went 9-2 last year and won their 2nd straight private VISAA D2 title (as kwhs95fan stated). This year they have started 2-2. How is the QB Tommy Deutsch doing? Who are their other stars? As I mentioned, I do not follow private school ball. Do they recruit? Offer major scholarships for athletic stars as well as academics? Should be an interesting game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT