ADVERTISEMENT

Ken wakefield

Mar 4, 2004
To all you evhs and cchs fans that doubted ken wakefield. He is in his 3rd straight region Championship. This time in his 1st year at a new school. You ran out Sorrentino you ran out wakefield. Be glad he didn't get to see evhs in the playoffs.

congratulations to PHA players and their coaches - very happy to see them get to a regional final- they deserve it winning in the jungle is no easy feat-I for one totally doubted them - Spotsy was a cake walk w injuries they sustained but Louisa w hunter and that nasty D -great job Respect

As for the EV PHA matchup - I would have put EV at full strength against anyone but Tusky and Broad run PHA included - those stars just didn’t align - so save the bravado until we actually do get to play again—Dinwiddie had the pleasure of sending us home this time and we made it easy for them - good teams make you pay for mistakes and man we made plenty- So take comfort in the sting we feel today from the Generals -best you can do for now-

Unfortunately all coaches are judged on wins and loses - the fans celebrate them when they win and talk about the bad play call in the second quarter when they don’t - just the way it is - true coaches understand this and don’t take it personal -they simply go back to work

Here is what I celebrate when it comes to High school coaches like Mills And Hatfield from Last night plus so many others around the state that win year in year out -with and without talent get the best out of their kids - make them better men -more than that -they take the journey with the community and the kids - they build a program and they own it win or lose-it’s not a job it’s their whole life -That is HS football-

congratulations to Mr Wakefield and especially his staff and players who have been working on that program for years -This cyclone fan wishes him the best for a long time -I hope he has found his forever home and that you stick up for him when the inevitable tough times bad seasons and loses come -good luck Friday to PHA and Dinwiddie

Always thought Wakefield was an above average coach. Think the problem was he did not have good assistant coaches around him that makes a team all around good. Thought CCHS chased him out too early but with that being said the consistent wins throughout the regular season were not always there. They also benefited from a very weak 3A region but Wakefield proved all that wrong this year .

Reactions: OCBoy
Coach Wakefield was 19-36 in the regular season and 2-4 in the playoffs while coaching Culpeper. He's 9-3 and 2-0 at PH. Culpeper was 1-9 this year. Something tells me it wasn't all Wakefield.
He was definitely better than 2-4 in the playoffs at Culpeper. They went to the region championship game in back to back years

He was definitely better than 2-4 in the playoffs at Culpeper. They went to the region championship game in back to back years
My apologies. I left off his 2018 record.

Corrected:
29-40 Overall 24-34 Regular Season and 5-6 Playoffs @ Culpeper.

Kind of makes you wonder how a 9-4 team in 2018 goes 1-9 in 2019.

My apologies. I left off his 2018 record.

Corrected:
29-40 Overall 24-34 Regular Season and 5-6 Playoffs @ Culpeper.

Kind of makes you wonder how a 9-4 team in 2018 goes 1-9 in 2019.
They graduated a ton from that 2018 region championship team. Their new head coach missed most of the season with a major health issue.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
They graduated a ton from that 2018 region championship team. Their new head coach missed most of the season with a major health issue.
To be truthful there wasn't a huge difference between the 2 teams (Culpeper '18 vs '19). The QB last year was definitely a good runner and that was the main thing missing this year. Region 3B last year was pretty much abysmal and that's how they won the region. This year they moved up to 4B and you see what happened. Same result would've most likely occurred last year if they played a 4A schedule. Culpeper has beaten very few 4A schools over the last MANY years. I don't really have a good idea if he's good/bad/average as a coach. I just know during his time here they looked very unorganized at times, even during warm-ups.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
To be truthful there wasn't a huge difference between the 2 teams (Culpeper '18 vs '19). The QB last year was definitely a good runner and that was the main thing missing this year. Region 3B last year was pretty much abysmal and that's how they won the region. This year they moved up to 4B and you see what happened. Same result would've most likely occurred last year if they played a 4A schedule. Culpeper has beaten very few 4A schools over the last MANY years. I don't really have a good idea if he's good/bad/average as a coach. I just know during his time here they looked very unorganized at times, even during warm-ups.
They moved to 4C not 4B. They graduated almost their entire 2018 team. They can’t help enrollment made them a class 3 instead of 4.

Any coach w a 29-40 record needs to enjoy the season he is in and continue to build a program that can sustain 8-10-20 years - the programs posting 100-200 wins and 5-10 year playoff berths those are the ones doing something - arguments can be made about assistants or talent every year - head coaches who build programs attract talented coaches and encourage the best from even average players - JMO like everyone else here but I would suggest this head coach get his wins above his loses as a first goal - as I said previously coaches are judged on overall wins and loses and over time the programs they either build or don’t

this coach IMO hasn’t done either - so start by keeping your 2019 train rolling with what you’ve got
Reload and do it again regardless of what any of the boo birds say do what you do - you guys don’t think Mags Hatfield Mills Fisher Skinner Renner etc etc names could just keep rolling of VA HS coaches who built and sustained programs from The crabbers to the Judges back in the day had times where the so called fans weren’t behind them? Shoot Hat has been 65-8 over the last 6 years and people in the stands were calling for his head Friday night - Wakefield made a choice -he clearly came into some talent willing to put in the work - good for him - to say things like they ran him
Out are just fiction - I bet if you asked Mags if he ever had people wanting him Out of Salem he would say every year we didn’t win the state - so the only thing I will take exception to here is that somehow it wasn’t Mr Wakefield’s choice to leave - that’s a weak answer - he had talent he had assistants bought in and he didn’t win - there will always be fans and administration to contend with part of the job - we will see over time what Mr Wakefield does with what Mr trust sees as his program even if it is only his first year there- the future always tells the truth

I for one will be doing my best to be in Ashland Friday to see how it goes

Last edited:
Reactions: one man
Any coach w a 29-40 record needs to enjoy the season he is in and continue to build a program that can sustain 8-10-20 years - the programs posting 100-200 wins and 5-10 year playoff berths those are the ones doing something - arguments can be made about assistants or talent every year - head coaches who build programs attract talented coaches and encourage the best from even average players - JMO like everyone else here but I would suggest this head coach get his wins above his loses as a first goal - as I said previously coaches are judged on overall wins and loses and over time the programs they either build or don’t

this coach IMO hasn’t done either - so start by keeping your 2019 train rolling with what you’ve got
Reload and do it again regardless of what any of the boo birds say do what you do - you guys don’t think Mags Hatfield Mills Fisher Skinner Renner etc etc names could just keep rolling of VA HS coaches who built and sustained programs from The crabbers to the Judges back in the day had times where the so called fans weren’t behind them? Shoot Hat has been 65-8 over the last 6 years and people in the stands were calling for his head Friday night - Wakefield made a choice -he clearly came into some talent willing to put in the work - good for him - to say things like they ran him
Out are just fiction - I bet if you asked Mags if he ever had people wanting him Out of Salem he would say every year we didn’t win the state - so the only thing I will take exception to here is that somehow it wasn’t Mr Wakefield’s choice to leave - that’s a weak answer - he had talent he had assistants bought in and he didn’t win - there will always be fans and administration to contend with part of the job - we will see over time what Mr Wakefield does with what Mr trust sees as his program even if it is only his first year there- the future always tells the truth

I for one will be doing my best to be in Ashland Friday to see how it goes
He took over a mess and in 3 years had them in back to back regional finals winning 1...

awesome still has a 29-40 overall record -anyway I agree to disagree my friends - glad he was appreciated by some in the area before he chose to leave -

Happy Thanksgiving to All

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT