ADVERTISEMENT

King George

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
I don't know much about this team, so I wanted to ask what has changed in the last 2 years? They have gone from a team that usually wins about 5 games a year, to a team that has only lost 2 games in the last 2 years. Did they have a surge in talent, or a change in offensive/defensive schemes? Do you expect them to continue to improve, or have they peaked? Impressive turnaround, hopefully they can continue to improve and compete in a tough region.

Coaching staff change - - Vern Lunsford took over in 2018... went through 1-9, got better in year two at 6-5, then have elevated to a state level team the past two. I'd expect the success to continue with two highly coveted 2024 WR's in Chanz Wiggins and Mekhai White leading the way.

Definite contender out of Region 4B, where reigning State Champ Varina is the clear favorite, but you certainly have to watch out for the Foxes along with Dinwiddie and Patrick Henry-Ashland.

Thanks for the insight on KG, Matt. They have sure elevated their program to championship contender status.

I’m hearing Kings Fork may be the team to beat in 4A this season, what’s your take, Matt?

Reactions: matthew328826
Thanks for the insight on KG, Matt. They have sure elevated their program to championship contender status.

I’m hearing Kings Fork may be the team to beat in 4A this season, what’s your take, Matt?
Without giving away everything that we'll be posting in our Top Ten Countdowns that kick off later today, I would say yes, King's Fork should be considered the favorite, despite losing two devastating pass rushers in Kyree Moyston (Va. Tech) and Bravion Campbell. They return their QB Cameron Butler, a lot of good young talent on both sides of the ball, and a RB in Javon Ford that is certainly in the discussion as among the very best at that position in the rising sophomore class (other one that comes to mind is Liberty Christian's Gideon Davidson).

Beyond King's Fork, I would say Churchland is the top threat to King's Fork in Region 4A. They lost a heart-breaker in the opening round of the playoffs to Deep Creek - who'll be a factor again with a heck of a two-way rising sophomore RB/LB leading them in Brandon Nesbit - but I like the makeup for the Truckers under Dontrell Leonard. Plus, he has if not the best QB in Class 4, certainly one of the best dual-threats in Brandyn Hillman, who we have a video interview / story coming up on the site here soon.

Warwick is another team out of Region 4A that is fairly intriguing. Corey Hairston has made them a playoff-level team on a regular basis lately and they have a lot of solid pieces back, including RB/DB Davion Corpening. And of course, a lot of eyes will be on the Hampton Crabbers to see how they look as they begin their first season in half a century after Mike Smith with Woodrow Wilson at the helm.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT