ADVERTISEMENT

Kings Fork LB Derek Wright

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
Kings Fork just had one linebacker commit to a D-1 school when Dominique Patterson committed to Virginia Tech, and they will likely have another when Derek Wright decides where he wants to play football after high school. Wright has received the most interest from the likes of Richmond, where he will soon be attending a one-day camp on July 18th, and William & Mary.
"Right now he’s hearing most from Division I-AA schools. Virginia Tech is interested and they’ve been at the school," says King’s Fork Head Football Coach Joe Jones[/B]. "In our scheme, our 5-3, our outside guy is kind of like an inside guy, so I think he can do both.”
Wright is a big hitter, who covers sideline-to-sideline on defense. He made Honorable Mention All-Southeastern District at linebacker as a junior while recording three interceptions. he returned two for touchdowns against Suffolk rival Nansemond River during a 46-0 shutout. "That was my best football moment," Derek remembers about the game.
Perhaps the highlight moment of the school year came during his final basketball game of the season. Derek nailed the game-winning three-pointer in the State Championship comeback win over William Fleming. He finished with nine points--all on three-pointers. "I'm still going to play basketball," Wright said, "but I'm going to concentrate on football as my #1 sport."
He is hoping for the same success on the gridiron the basketball team achieved on the hardwood. "We can't say we are the new school," he explained. "It's going to take hard work just like in basketball. We know we can play with anybody."
Wright’s father, Clint Wright[/B], coaches basketball on the AAU circuit and also is an assistant coach in both sports ? football and basketball ? at King’s Fork. Derek says his father has influenced his Ivy League 3.875 GPA. "From the beginning, my dad has always stressed grades. It was always work before play."
With outstanding grades, great attitude, and a desire to be the best at everything he does, Derek is a coaches dream. “Derek’s a really great kid… just a great character kid,” Jones noted. “With dad’s height, he’s up to about 6-foot-3. He’s a guy we’re counting on and a great leader. He’s going to do the type of things needed to make himself better."

This post was edited on 7/14 9:33 PM by wgarlick

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News