ADVERTISEMENT

K'Vaughan's Thread

It's recruiting at it's finest, OSU and several other programs in the big 10 have invested into their program and the product on the field shows and attracts high-end out of state talent. HR6's thought process is very much like our president, if the facts don't support it my opinion becomes fact. FSU's defensive line this year is anchored by two VA natives, Derrick Nnandi and Josh Sweat, and there's another in the secondary with Taylor. OSU has a few Va guys up there currently, both I know from Lake Taylor and some more from the DMV if the Pope kid couldn't make it there then I don't believe Meyer would've accepted the commitment. Adults meddling in the minds of a kid's decision for their future is ignorant. We all would love for "our" guys to go to "our" teams, but he did what he saw was best for him for the next 4-5 years. When VT and UVa control the Coastal there will be more keeping high-end talent at home, but I would argue the coaching out of state prepares you to get drafted more than the in-state as of late.

The fact is, that OSU was the best team at the end of the season and really were the best team the year after, just had a bad night against Msu. But the best team doesn't always win. Alabama was better than Clemson last year.

But to just say SEC reasons why Urban left Florida is closed minded in my opinion. I honestly don't think he was or ever will be afraid of Saban or any other coach. It was due in part to health, and I'm sure that Florida itself exacerbated it with things going on.
You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine and I do not believe one is any more close minded than the other. The fact is Urban left the program at Florida in poor shape in terms of talent/discipline and on the police blotter and it is circumspect that his health issues miraculously resolved themselves at just the proper time to take the OSU job. He did the best thing for him and got out at the right time. He has always had a good sense of timing as to when to leave jobs but, leaving UF was the first job he left where he could not take the cover of trading up for a significantly better job. Navigating the Big 10 is not nearly as difficult as the SEC. As far as your other contention, that is why they play the games and it is best to be on every night and particularly on nights that matter.

You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine and I do not believe one is any more close minded than the other. The fact is Urban left the program at Florida in poor shape in terms of talent/discipline and on the police blotter and it is circumspect that his health issues miraculously resolved themselves at just the proper time to take the OSU job. He did the best thing for him and got out at the right time. He has always had a good sense of timing as to when to leave jobs but, leaving UF was the first job he left where he could not take the cover of trading up for a significantly better job. Navigating the Big 10 is not nearly as difficult as the SEC. As far as your other contention, that is why they play the games and it is best to be on every night and particularly on nights that matter.

No argument from me there that you have to be on every night, that was exactly my point. I am sure there are many that think Alabama was the best team the year Ohio State won it, and they very well may have been in a series, and Ohio State has nobody to blame but themselves for losing to MSU, but I believe they were the best team that year, but they lost a game they shouldn't have.

As for navigating a conference, I think we will have to differ on this one. 5 years ago the SEC was certainly the best conference, but besides Alabama its not really elite anymore. Of course every conference has their bad teams, but middle of the pack teams are better in other conferences.

As for Urban, he ended his stint at Florida in 2010 and started at Ohio State in 2012. That is time to get a health issue resolved, its not like he left Florida and the next week took job at Ohio State. He also had a history of health issues while AT Florida. While he was on leave before his final season, he still signed the consensus #1 class in the nation, so how did he leave them low on terms of talent? He also joined a team that was postseason ineligible. And the part that you are failing to realize, is if we just go ahead and call them close to equal jobs in terms of program and money, maybe just maybe Ohio State was his dream job that he would want to stay in until he retires. Wouldn't it be called taking a less job for Khaki Pants to go from NFL to college? #ichigan was his dream job

No argument from me there that you have to be on every night, that was exactly my point. I am sure there are many that think Alabama was the best team the year Ohio State won it, and they very well may have been in a series, and Ohio State has nobody to blame but themselves for losing to MSU, but I believe they were the best team that year, but they lost a game they shouldn't have.

As for navigating a conference, I think we will have to differ on this one. 5 years ago the SEC was certainly the best conference, but besides Alabama its not really elite anymore. Of course every conference has their bad teams, but middle of the pack teams are better in other conferences.

As for Urban, he ended his stint at Florida in 2010 and started at Ohio State in 2012. That is time to get a health issue resolved, its not like he left Florida and the next week took job at Ohio State. He also had a history of health issues while AT Florida. While he was on leave before his final season, he still signed the consensus #1 class in the nation, so how did he leave them low on terms of talent? He also joined a team that was postseason ineligible. And the part that you are failing to realize, is if we just go ahead and call them close to equal jobs in terms of program and money, maybe just maybe Ohio State was his dream job that he would want to stay in until he retires. Wouldn't it be called taking a less job for Khaki Pants to go from NFL to college? #ichigan was his dream job
We will have to agree to disagree on conferences and whether the middle of the pack teams are actually better in other conferences. There is certainly an argument for your point based on this year's preseason rankings and I obviously would default to head to head matchups, conference bowl records and the actual players drafted in the pros to bolster the SEC argument from a more historical perspective. As far as Urban goes you raise a valid point about the No. 1 recruiting class, however, as Paul Harvey would say the rest of the story is what that class produced and with injuries, attrition, etc. they arguably did not live up to the number one billing. My observation on Urban really boils down to this. He resigned the second time after a 7-5 season, with mounting problems in team personnel, police inquiries, and coaching staff turnover coupled with growing unrest in the Gator fan base. Interestingly, there was no mention in the second resignation of any health issues(unlike the first leave of absence) just the desire to spend time with his family. Maybe Ohio State is his dream job and nobody can fault him that, even me. This discussion can go on all day and I appreciate your position and the manner in which you make your case. As for me, this began as an attempt at a bit of humor but, I have a different view than you of the events surrounding his departure from UF. Unfortunately, short of being Urban or in the Meyer household or extremely close to them it is unlikely either one of us can say with much certainty the real motivation. Finally, I have even less use for Harbaugh so I will abstain from further discussion of his job seeking motivations. ;-) Have a great day!

The bottom line to ALL of this, is that there are opinions (everyone is entitled to theirs), such as School A is a better program than School B, or this is the best system to use, etc and there are FACTS.

And then there are those that use "facts" only when it can support their argument, such as School A is better than School B, someone else points out actually School B is overall better than School A, then the 1st says well School A is better than School B in the only thing that actually matters. Then when another subject is brought up, 1st person wants to use the opposite logic. That is only using "THEIR" logic, not actual facts

Funny story! I was an assistant basketball coach when Pope was in the eighth grade. He was a man among boys as you can imagine. We won the championship that year. I was always Pope UVA UVA man ACC beautiful campus. We all knew he was gonna be one to remember! Hell the head coach made up a rule.....POPE TOUCHES THE BALL EVERYTIME DOWN THE COURT!! Still remember that! :D:D Back to the UVA reference I would always be in his ear cmon man UVA. He told me when Marques Hagans came and offered him. Anyways one day I had a little uva nerf football in my office and threw it to him and said cmon Pope UVA! He just looked at me with that million dollar smile and shook his head as to say I don't want to hurt your feelings but nope! Kid has a million dollar smile and just has "IT". He doesn't think he's better than anyone else and still here it is the big senior committed to THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY comes up to his middle school basketball coach and PE teacher and grabs me and shakes my hand! Kid is just phenomenal!

Where ya been Wahoogen? It isnt time to start talking trash yet. See at the scrimmage on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT