ADVERTISEMENT

L.C. Bird 451, Opponents 19 (Some statistical facts on regular season)

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
Bird did not allow a point in the first quarter all year, outscored opponents 279-6 in the first half, and 451-19 overall. Bird never trailed all season. Bird held their opponents to 5.5 first downs per game, 53 yards per game and only 4.6 yards rushing per game. Bird averaged under 100 yards per game in penalties for the first time in memory (99). Bird's opponents were 14-104 on third down (4 of 87 with 4 or more yards to go). Bird's opponents were 0-14 on 4th down.

Bird's opponents had the ball in the red zone 8 times this year and only scored 1 touchdown in those trips. They were also 0-2 in scoring when they had 1st and goal. Bird got 38 QB sacks for 265 yards. Bird's opponents really didn't get much out of passing the ball (55-169-485 yards) if you throw in sacks they only netted 220 yards on the 207 times they tried to throw it or 1.1 yards per attempt. If you throw in that there were 13 interceptions, you know you should probably keep it on the ground. Bird allowed 0.2 yards per rush, but if you were to handle QB sacks like the NFL does then you get 229 rushes for 311 yards you get 1.4 yards per rush with 16 lost fumbles.

J.B. Wright needs 273 yards to be Bird's sixth straight back with 2000 yards rushing on the season.

Rayshard Ashby leads the Skyhawk defense with 73 tackles (16 for loss) and 10.5 sacks.

Statistically, a pretty amazing defensive season.

Reactions: springer76
That's the thing of legend. Anything less than a state title will diminish how utterly dominating they are. These stats are nearly unbelievable.

Last edited:
Bird did not allow a point in the first quarter all year, outscored opponents 279-6 in the first half, and 451-19 overall. Bird never trailed all season. Bird held their opponents to 5.5 first downs per game, 53 yards per game and only 4.6 yards rushing per game. Bird averaged under 100 yards per game in penalties for the first time in memory (99). Bird's opponents were 14-104 on third down (4 of 87 with 4 or more yards to go). Bird's opponents were 0-14 on 4th down.

Bird's opponents had the ball in the red zone 8 times this year and only scored 1 touchdown in those trips. They were also 0-2 in scoring when they had 1st and goal. Bird got 38 QB sacks for 265 yards. Bird's opponents really didn't get much out of passing the ball (55-169-485 yards) if you throw in sacks they only netted 220 yards on the 207 times they tried to throw it or 1.1 yards per attempt. If you throw in that there were 13 interceptions, you know you should probably keep it on the ground. Bird allowed 0.2 yards per rush, but if you were to handle QB sacks like the NFL does then you get 229 rushes for 311 yards you get 1.4 yards per rush with 16 lost fumbles.

J.B. Wright needs 273 yards to be Bird's sixth straight back with 2000 yards rushing on the season.

Rayshard Ashby leads the Skyhawk defense with 73 tackles (16 for loss) and 10.5 sacks.

Statistically, a pretty amazing defensive season.

Bird's defense scored 8 TD's while allowing 2 TD's this year.
Bird scored more touchdowns than they allowed first downs.

New school records:
Least Points Allowed in a season:19
Least First Downs Allowed in a season: 55
Least Total Yards Allowed in a season: 531
Least Rushing Yards Allowed in a season: 46
Most Sack Yardage in a Season: -265
Most Return Touchdowns: 11

And yet they're only the 3 seed in their region. Crazy how stacked their bracket is.

Bird Schedule Warranted those Numbers!!! Best team they played all season was Monacan and Monacan played that game without their starting quarterback and in the Rain. Bird has an amazing defense but when you play 0-10, 1-9, 2-8, 2-8. 3-7, thats five games to pad stats!!!

Bird Schedule Warranted those Numbers!!! Best team they played all season was Monacan and Monacan played that game without their starting quarterback and in the Rain. Bird has an amazing defense but when you play 0-10, 1-9, 2-8, 2-8. 3-7, thats five games to pad stats!!!

Yeah, (and I'm not a real fan of Bird so don't get this wrong), but a criticism of who they played doesn't carry much validity. First, they play a "mandatory" district schedule, just like everybody else. They didn't look around and say let's schedule a bunch of teams so we can set records. Secondly, many, if not most season long records, are from teams that played similarly "weak" schedules. Not all, I know, so don't get your gander up.

I'll give you what Springers said, "not surprising". That is not a criticism. Just a realistic fact. I said all season that this is the best Bird team I've personally seen, for what that is worth. Which ain't much.

Will this record of domination translate to five more easy wins? I'd say that five tough teams are saying "bring it on, big boys. Bring it on."

I think Bird's seeding is fine. The truth is, all three of the biggies would probably have went 10-0 against Bird's schedule and either 9-1 or 10-0 against Hermitage or Highland Springs schedule. If I were seeding out of the blue, I'd probably give Hermitage the nod because they had the only win against a team that was in the big three. It was an overtime win, though, so even that doesn't tell us much.

Yeah, (and I'm not a real fan of Bird so don't get this wrong), but a criticism of who they played doesn't carry much validity. First, they play a "mandatory" district schedule, just like everybody else. They didn't look around and say let's schedule a bunch of teams so we can set records. Secondly, many, if not most season long records, are from teams that played similarly "weak" schedules. Not all, I know, so don't get your gander up.

I'll give you what Springers said, "not surprising". That is not a criticism. Just a realistic fact. I said all season that this is the best Bird team I've personally seen, for what that is worth. Which ain't much.

Will this record of domination translate to five more easy wins? I'd say that five tough teams are saying "bring it on, big boys. Bring it on."
Definitely, Bird had to get "lucky" to win their previous three titles. They won some real close games along the way in the playoffs. Just imagine the road any Richmond area team has to travel to get a state title. There is no pansy game for even the 1 seed. The 8 best teams are there and we'll see how it shakes out.

I am in touch with most of the Bird people, and they really could care less about their seed. They haven't lost a road game since 2011.

ovaz5rL.png

Speaking to the "soft" schedule, I doubt there are many Richmond area ADs that really want to put Bird on the schedule. All good ADs and coaches want to provide challenging, yet reasonable, opponents for their students. But Bird is simply out of reach for most area programs. I think Hampton, Oscar Smith, Salem (VB) or Ocean Lakes should consider reaching out to Bird for a non-district game.

ovaz5rL.png

Speaking to the "soft" schedule, I doubt there are many Richmond area ADs that really want to put Bird on the schedule. All good ADs and coaches want to provide challenging, yet reasonable, opponents for their students. But Bird is simply out of reach for most area programs. I think Hampton, Oscar Smith, Salem (VB) or Ocean Lakes should consider reaching out to Bird for a non-district game.

Where were you the last two years? Bird and Lake Taylor played and split 1-1 with Bird winning 21-14 in 2013 and LT winning 29-22 in 2014. Bird and LT coaches wanted to renew the series, but people higher up wanted to play another Chesterfield Co. team (Meadowbrook) David Bedwell will play anyone, but when you are strapped by administration you can't do much.

Yep, you are right, those district games aren't chosen games, they are mandatory. Unfortunately, that district is historically soft. Last year was the only year that I can remember that the Dominion put out some decent teams and Bird lost 2 of those when they were good enough to capture a title. The Colonial isn't much better (when it comes to Hermitage going 10-0 almost every year). Capital and Central Districts have always been more competitive
At the same time, Bird's numbers are astounding and they deserve recognition for it.
Highland Springs has posted scoring for/against numbers of 425-87 with 5 shutouts against 8 out of 10 playoff teams this year and get no love!!!. That is playing against a more formidable schedule and being rewarded for it in the power ratings even with 1 loss (albeit an overtime loss by 1 to an undefeated team). Just sayin' DP! Hope to see you soon!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ovaz5rL.png

A Bird vs. Ocean Lakes series would be fun.

Where were you the last two years? Bird and Lake Taylor played and split 1-1 with Bird winning 21-14 in 2013 and LT winning 29-22 in 2014. Bird and LT coaches wanted to renew the series, but people higher up wanted to play another Chesterfield Co. team (Meadowbrook) David Bedwell will play anyone, but when you are strapped by administration you can't do much.
Bird has 8 district games and two good programs just a stones throw from them in Thomas Dale and Meadowbrook. It's hard not to play those neighborhood rivalries. I'd like to see Bird get Wythe and Huguenot off of their schedule. Here's the last few years of those games:

Bird 61 Wythe 0
Bird 82 Wythe 0
Bird 82 Wythe 0
Bird 48 Wythe 8
Bird 42 Wythe 0
Bird 42 Wythe 6

Bird 55 Huguenot 0
Bird 73 Huguenot 0
Bird 60 Huguenot 0
Bird 55 Huguenot 0
Bird 56 Huguenot 0
Bird 54 Huguenot 0

Both are 3A schools and not good 3A schools. What is the point to these match-ups?

Reactions: DRWildcatDad2018
Yep, you are right, those district games aren't chosen games, they are mandatory. Unfortunately, that district is historically soft. Last year was the only year that I can remember that the Dominion put out some decent teams and Bird lost 2 of those when they were good enough to capture a title. The Colonial isn't much better (when it comes to Hermitage going 10-0 almost every year). Capital and Central Districts have always been more competitive
At the same time, Bird's numbers are astounding and they deserve recognition for it.
Highland Springs has posted scoring for/against numbers of 425-87 with 5 shutouts against 8 out of 10 playoff teams this year and get no love!!!. That is playing against a more formidable schedule and being rewarded for it in the power ratings even with 1 loss (albeit an overtime loss by 1 to an undefeated team). Just sayin' DP! Hope to see you soon!

Oh yeah. I was just keeping to the Bird discussion. When Bird and HS play, I think HS wins, and then wins the state. When I say this is the best Bird team I've ever seen, it doesn't infer that HS isn't awesome this year. It's just that I haven't seen them play..., yet!

Bird/HS will be epic. I like the competition level HS has played to have them prepared. But man, how can you ever think a Bedwell team would not be ready to play?

When I say HS wins, that's more heart than science. The most I would bet is a cup of coffee!

Not discounting Hermitage and the other five teams. I'm just discussing these two.

Man oh man, 5a around here this year is as good as it gets, isn't it fellas?

Bird has 8 district games and two good programs just a stones throw from them in Thomas Dale and Meadowbrook. It's hard not to play those neighborhood rivalries. I'd like to see Bird get Wythe and Huguenot off of their schedule...

...Both are 3A schools and not good 3A schools. What is the point to these match-ups?

Agreed, although I thought Huguenot was moved back up to 4A. Also, smaller district sizes would allow LCB and every other school the flexibility to schedule games that are more appropriate for their team's ability. Here's an idea. Send the smaller Dominion schools: Huguenot, Monacan, Midlo, and GW to the Central that has similarly sized Hopewell, Petersburg and Colonial Heights. Add Thomas Dale (I've never understood why these rivals aren't in the same district, but I've never lived in the area), Matoaca, and Prince George. This isn't about creating good districts and weak districts. It's about eliminating mixed districts that force lopsided matchups like GW/LCB. Those two teams should never play each other, at least not until GW's enrollment gets bigger and their game play dramatically improves.

1) Why do you think they get no love? My ratings, for instance, have Highland Springs at #1 in 5A.
2) Are you surprised that a team that has won three straight state titles and is undefeated this year with zero close games is going to be getting a little more love than Highland Springs, which has a loss, and has won a total of 3 playoff games since 1996? I know the, "we don't get no respect" card is a good one to play in order to get kids motivated, but c'mon. I haven't seen anybody at all put down Highland Springs on these boards or any place at all this year. Bird, Hermitage and Springs seem to get mentioned in the same breath all the time. I haven't seen one Bird person on here complaining about the seed or suggesting they should be seeded higher than the Springers. Someone pointed out that it was amazing they had a 3 seed, but seemed to be doing that in order to point out what a loaded bracket Richmond has, not to suggest they shouldn't be a 3 seed.
3) One of the benefits of winning 3 straight state championships is having a lot of love heaped on you the next year.
4) Bird has had the weak schedule thing laid on them each of the last three years, and it's worked out. We all thought Bird's schedule was weak last year until the Dominion teams started stunning everyone in the playoffs.

I don't put Highland Springs down. I never do (I try not to put any team down). I have them rated #1 in 5A and #2 overall (behind Ocean Lakes), but the fact that Bird got a perfect storm of circumstances and held their opponents to 19 points amazes me. I think it's a significant figure since it's the lowest points allowed total of any team in Virginia for at least the last 17 seasons. Noting that doesn't mean I'm dissing anyone else. If I get my previews done for the games this week I think you'll see that I mention what a formidable defense the Springers have. I have noticed that their defense hasn't been scored on in over a month and mentioned something about expecting them to have 3-0 game with Bird in 57 overtimes the way the defenses have been playing.

So, seriously, we all understand that Highland Springs is great. If they had gotten by Bird last year, they would have likely won the state title. They're my favorites to win the state title this year, but I don't feel like I have to say that every time I post something good about another team. If I got excited in baseball season because a kid pitched a perfect game against a weak team, would that mean I was dissing a kid who pitched a 2-hitter against a good team? Nope, just noticing something remarkable.

I just started a post about the neat stuff I noticed when Darren Paquette e-mailed me their statistics for the year. Nothing stopping anyone else from doing the same for another team.

Agreed, although I thought Huguenot was moved back up to 4A. Also, smaller district sizes would allow LCB and every other school the flexibility to schedule games that are more appropriate for their team's ability. Here's an idea. Send the smaller Dominion schools: Huguenot, Monacan, Midlo, and GW to the Central that has similarly sized Hopewell, Petersburg and Colonial Heights. Add Thomas Dale (I've never understood why these rivals aren't in the same district, but I've never lived in the area), Matoaca, and Prince George. This isn't about creating good districts and weak districts. It's about eliminating mixed districts that force lopsided matchups like GW/LCB. Those two teams should never play each other, at least not until GW's enrollment gets bigger and their game play dramatically improves.
Right, and Thomas Dale vs. Colonial Heights is unnecessary every year, also.

Lord I hope the AD's dont pick up on this post. Lol. Dinwiddie was plain left out. Surely wouldn't want to be in your proposed Central District. We would not get enough points to be an 8th seed even if we were undefeated.

Oh yeah. I was just keeping to the Bird discussion. When Bird and HS play, I think HS wins, and then wins the state. When I say this is the best Bird team I've ever seen, it doesn't infer that HS isn't awesome this year. It's just that I haven't seen them play..., yet!

Bird/HS will be epic. I like the competition level HS has played to have them prepared. But man, how can you ever think a Bedwell team would not be ready to play?

When I say HS wins, that's more heart than science. The most I would bet is a cup of coffee!

Not discounting Hermitage and the other five teams. I'm just discussing these two.

Man oh man, 5a around here this year is as good as it gets, isn't it fellas?
I know Bird is ready!!! They have been ready since game 1. No doubt that they are a very good team and very well coached. Hermitage too. As well as the rest of 'em..
Regular season's over..
New season starts this week ! IT'S DA PLAYOFFS BABEH!

Right, and Thomas Dale vs. Colonial Heights is unnecessary every year, also.
I've heard that this year was the the last meeting between Highland Springs vs. Armstrong....and that we'd be picking up all D5 schools. Which means we'd be replacing Hanover with someone else too. We have Hermitage now. I would like to have Bird and one of those power schools from Tidewater.
Ocean Lakes, Oscar Smith, Hampton...

Lord I hope the AD's dont pick up on this post. Lol. Dinwiddie was plain left out. Surely wouldn't want to be in your proposed Central District. We would not get enough points to be an 8th seed even if we were undefeated.
Dinwiddie would indeed still be in the Central in my plan. Again, it's not about competition. It's about geography and enrollment. Dinwiddie could still try to schedule Matoaca and Thomas Dale, if they chose, but it would be non-district. Those schools are much larger and would need to be in a different district if mixed districts are eliminated. I certainly didn't mean to slight Dinwiddie.

Dinwiddie would indeed still be in the Central in my plan. Again, it's not about competition. It's about geography and enrollment. Dinwiddie could still try to schedule Matoaca and Thomas Dale, if they chose, but it would be non-district. Those schools are much larger and would need to be in a different district if mixed districts are eliminated. I certainly didn't mean to slight Dinwiddie.
I wish there was a way to make the playing field more even, but it will never happen. Sometimes having a stacked district can cause problems. Good teams can get left out while duds make the playoffs.

Can't wait. I was worried earlier in the year with Birds o-line play but they have been playing better and probably played their best game of the year on Friday. Opening big holes, QB had time to throw, and very few penalties. The defense was very good as usual, playmakers at every level. The level of competition will definitely go up in the playoffs and Bird has not faced an offense like Hermitage or HS all year. Those quarterbacks are having great years and will give Bird trouble. Also I believe our kicker is out for the year, but his backup was impressive. He has a stronger leg with the kickoffs reaching the goaline with one touchback and perfect on PATs

I've heard that this year was the the last meeting between Highland Springs vs. Armstrong....and that we'd be picking up all D5 schools. Which means we'd be replacing Hanover with someone else too. We have Hermitage now. I would like to have Bird and one of those power schools from Tidewater.
Ocean Lakes, Oscar Smith, Hampton...

I gave your AD every opportunity to play us this year instead they took on a solid Norview team.

I gave your AD every opportunity to play us this year instead they took on a solid Norview team.
Yeah, he chose Norview, because their their Head Coach, Coach Cotton was an assistant and the JV coach at Highland Springs for a few years. That was a decision made between Coach Johnson and Coach Cotton.

Yeah, he chose Norview, because their their Head Coach, Coach Cotton was an assistant and the JV coach at Highland Springs for a few years. That was a decision made between Coach Johnson and Coach Cotton.

That happens a lot. And I find no fault with that.

Bird has 8 district games and two good programs just a stones throw from them in Thomas Dale and Meadowbrook. It's hard not to play those neighborhood rivalries. I'd like to see Bird get Wythe and Huguenot off of their schedule. Here's the last few years of those games:

Bird 61 Wythe 0
Bird 82 Wythe 0
Bird 82 Wythe 0
Bird 48 Wythe 8
Bird 42 Wythe 0
Bird 42 Wythe 6

Bird 55 Huguenot 0
Bird 73 Huguenot 0
Bird 60 Huguenot 0
Bird 55 Huguenot 0
Bird 56 Huguenot 0
Bird 54 Huguenot 0

Both are 3A schools and not good 3A schools. What is the point to these match-ups?
Deep Run and Glen Allen will gladly take those games off Bird's schedule.

I can live with that what I can't live with is the fact that your AD strung me along for over a month. "I'll get back to you on Monday" "Email me next week" If you wanted to give Cotton the game just say that.

I
I can live with that what I can't live with is the fact that your AD strung me along for over a month. "I'll get back to you on Monday" "Email me next week" If you wanted to give Cotton the game just say that.
I have to agree with you on that. The Principal might outrank the AD, but the Coach answers to the AD. So if the coach drug it out, it's still the AD's responsibility. Now they both have a black eye.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT