ADVERTISEMENT

Lady Gladiators Trim Middlesex in Four Sets

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
In the kind of electrifying atmosphere that a state quarter-final match deserved, the Riverheads Lady Gladiators rallied from behind this afternoon for an intense 23-25, 25-23, 25-13, 25-21 victory over the Middlesex Lady Chargers. RHS will now advance to the state semi-finals, against the winner of the Altavista/Mathews match. There seems to be some confusion over whether Riverheads will get to host that semi-final but I have been told by two administrators (one just this afternoon) that yes, that match will be Tuesday night at Riverheads. Stay tuned for confirmation!

A rowdy Gladiator student section all decked out in their leftover Halloween costumes kept the spirit alive from start to finish and a smaller but no less enthusiastic crowd from the Northern Neck cheered on the visitors. And for the early portions of the match, it looked as if the long road trip was going to be worthwhile for MHS.

In each of the first two sets, they jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead, forcing the Big Red to play catch-up. In the first set, RHS did rally late, but could never manage more than a one-point lead as Middlesex took the first one 25-23.

The second set started out with that same 3-0 score but Riverheads rallied a little earlier this time and moved ahead 13-9. The Chargers came back and made a game of it before Riverheads evened the match with their own 25-23 win. At that point absolutely nothing had been settled as they were dead even in sets as well as total points.

However, the third set was all Riverheads as they jumped out to a quick 7-0 lead and coasted from there. With a 10-5 lead, they reeled off 11 straight points and although the Chargers momentarily stopped the bleeding, the set was never in doubt.

At that point, with the momentum clearly on the home side, one might have expected an easy clinching win for the Big Red. But to their credit, the Lady Chargers hung in there through most of the fourth set and even had a 20-19 lead down the stretch. But when Riverheads scored three points in a row to take a 22-20 lead, the crowd could sense it, the players fed off of the energy, and the match ended with a soft harmless return into the net right in front of the dude on the ladder. (Referee? umpire? grand poobah? I have already told you guys I don't know the terminology in this sport!!!)

But I do know intensity and excitement when I see it and both teams and their fans brought it today. Anyone who calls volleyball "boring" (and you know who you are) should have seen this one today and they would change their tune. The win had to be about adjustments on the part of RHS Coach Nyssa Stapleton and her team could have panicked after that opening set loss, not to mention a close second set, but they kept their composure and hung in there for the win.

The assumption is that Mathews, the defending state champs, will be Tuesday's opponent, although Altavista is quite capable of giving them a game. Hopefully someone will come on here and give us the scoop on how that one went.

Of course what we would REALLY like to know up this way is just how good Mathews is. We understand that they beat Middlesex four times this season, which might not bode well for Riverheads' chances. But can someone enlighten us as to whether those were close and competitive matches or is it one of those cases where Mathews would beat Middlesex another 50 times if they kept playing? Inquiring minds want to know.

Time now for non-stop college football the rest of the day and thanks again for the early game time today allowing us couch potatoes to sit around and gain a few more pounds. So let's see what JMU, UVa, VT, and Clemson can do on this blustery Saturday!!!

Mathews scores vs. Middlesex

Sept. 18- Mathews 3-0 (25-18, 25-14, 25-21)

Oct. 22- Mathews 3-1 (25-10, 18-25, 25-11, 25-13)

Oct. 25- Mathews 3-0 (25-17, 25-7, 25-14)

Nov. 10- Mathews 3-0 (28-26, 25-19, 25-19)

Source: Maxpreps. Mathews has only loss seven sets all year.

Middlesex is not from the Northern Neck. Middlesex is located on the Middle Peninsula. Just setting the record straight for those who are not aware.

In the kind of electrifying atmosphere that a state quarter-final match deserved, the Riverheads Lady Gladiators rallied from behind this afternoon for an intense 23-25, 25-23, 25-13, 25-21 victory over the Middlesex Lady Chargers. RHS will now advance to the state semi-finals, against the winner of the Altavista/Mathews match. There seems to be some confusion over whether Riverheads will get to host that semi-final but I have been told by two administrators (one just this afternoon) that yes, that match will be Tuesday night at Riverheads. Stay tuned for confirmation!

A rowdy Gladiator student section all decked out in their leftover Halloween costumes kept the spirit alive from start to finish and a smaller but no less enthusiastic crowd from the Northern Neck cheered on the visitors. And for the early portions of the match, it looked as if the long road trip was going to be worthwhile for MHS.

In each of the first two sets, they jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead, forcing the Big Red to play catch-up. In the first set, RHS did rally late, but could never manage more than a one-point lead as Middlesex took the first one 25-23.

The second set started out with that same 3-0 score but Riverheads rallied a little earlier this time and moved ahead 13-9. The Chargers came back and made a game of it before Riverheads evened the match with their own 25-23 win. At that point absolutely nothing had been settled as they were dead even in sets as well as total points.

However, the third set was all Riverheads as they jumped out to a quick 7-0 lead and coasted from there. With a 10-5 lead, they reeled off 11 straight points and although the Chargers momentarily stopped the bleeding, the set was never in doubt.

At that point, with the momentum clearly on the home side, one might have expected an easy clinching win for the Big Red. But to their credit, the Lady Chargers hung in there through most of the fourth set and even had a 20-19 lead down the stretch. But when Riverheads scored three points in a row to take a 22-20 lead, the crowd could sense it, the players fed off of the energy, and the match ended with a soft harmless return into the net right in front of the dude on the ladder. (Referee? umpire? grand poobah? I have already told you guys I don't know the terminology in this sport!!!)

But I do know intensity and excitement when I see it and both teams and their fans brought it today. Anyone who calls volleyball "boring" (and you know who you are) should have seen this one today and they would change their tune. The win had to be about adjustments on the part of RHS Coach Nyssa Stapleton and her team could have panicked after that opening set loss, not to mention a close second set, but they kept their composure and hung in there for the win.

The assumption is that Mathews, the defending state champs, will be Tuesday's opponent, although Altavista is quite capable of giving them a game. Hopefully someone will come on here and give us the scoop on how that one went.

Of course what we would REALLY like to know up this way is just how good Mathews is. We understand that they beat Middlesex four times this season, which might not bode well for Riverheads' chances. But can someone enlighten us as to whether those were close and competitive matches or is it one of those cases where Mathews would beat Middlesex another 50 times if they kept playing? Inquiring minds want to know.

Time now for non-stop college football the rest of the day and thanks again for the early game time today allowing us couch potatoes to sit around and gain a few more pounds. So let's see what JMU, UVa, VT, and Clemson can do on this blustery Saturday!!!

Yes, I certainly agree with you. Two good teams playing volleyball and going at it is non-stop crazy excitement (and nerve racking at times).

You said some think it is a boring sport - well, they must be a dumb ---. In the NND, often the house is packed for big games and sometime students get more into than any other sport.

As for Mathews - no disrespect to Riverheads, but how is Riverheads hosting this game?

Mathews is undefeated, like 21-0.

They only lost 7 sets all season. Rappahannock Raiders beat them twice (2 sets), a 4A team, Altavista, and Middlesex once.

I think the bracket was pre determined for the semifinals, if 2 regional champions faced off, as is the case in this matchup.

First of all, my apologies for the geographical error. I guess I was thinking that once you cross the river there at Tappahannock, that whole area up and down there was called the Northern Neck. One thing is for sure...........Riverheads has made its share of trips down that way. Within the last decade or so, for one sport or another, we have been to Rappahannock, Middlesex, Washington and Lee, and Mathews. Then of course there was our epic basketball game at King William in 2004 against W & L. And although I realize this is a TOTALLY different area, I think our volleyball team even traveled to the Eastern Shore once for a playoff match.

Secondly, thanks for the posting of Mathews' scores. If you were to go by the scores you have posted and their overall season, it would appear that they will be the favorite Tuesday. But then if you consider that Altavista took them to five sets, whereas Riverheads beat the Colonels in three, then you would go "hmmmm." I am sure just like with many sports it will come down to a question of "match ups" and in-game adjustments.

Finally I think kwhsfan is right, that it was pre-determined who would host. If you look at the bracket on the VHSL website, I think it even says that. But I can understand any confusion that might exist because we are programmed to pay attention to these rating scales and then when we do, they go against the system!

Reactions: uvacavs1
The Mathews- Altavista game was one of the best High school volleyball games I have ever witnessed. The atmosphere at Mathews was amazing, The Altavista girls played super and it was a dogfight the whole way. Scores were 21-25, 25-22, 22-25, 25-22, and 17-15. Altavista had a match point on Mathews and just could not close the deal. At the end of the game there were a lot of exhausted girls on the floor from both teams.

Reactions: uvacavs1
That does sound incredible! Thanks for the report. In Riverheads' three-set win over Altavista, we dominated one of them, something like 25-10 if I recall, but the other two were tooth and nail. I was NOT looking forward to possibly playing them again.

Hope the Mathews folks have a safe trip tomorrow and sorry if we will have a little rain up here to add stress to the trip.

Anyone know if the Riverheads vs Mathews game will be on the radio at all. Do they have a local station up there? I won't be able to make the trip so I was hoping to catch the game on the radio

First of all, my apologies for the geographical error. I guess I was thinking that once you cross the river there at Tappahannock, that whole area up and down there was called the Northern Neck. One thing is for sure...........Riverheads has made its share of trips down that way. Within the last decade or so, for one sport or another, we have been to Rappahannock, Middlesex, Washington and Lee, and Mathews. Then of course there was our epic basketball game at King William in 2004 against W & L. And although I realize this is a TOTALLY different area, I think our volleyball team even traveled to the Eastern Shore once for a playoff match.

Secondly, thanks for the posting of Mathews' scores. If you were to go by the scores you have posted and their overall season, it would appear that they will be the favorite Tuesday. But then if you consider that Altavista took them to five sets, whereas Riverheads beat the Colonels in three, then you would go "hmmmm." I am sure just like with many sports it will come down to a question of "match ups" and in-game adjustments.

Finally I think kwhsfan is right, that it was pre-determined who would host. If you look at the bracket on the VHSL website, I think it even says that. But I can understand any confusion that might exist because we are programmed to pay attention to these rating scales and then when we do, they go against the system!
Not that it matters, but Middlesex and Essex for that matter are both on the south/west side of the Rappahannock. You don't cross the river to get to Middlesex. Sidenote-Essex isn't on the Northern Neck either, technically.

Boy I am a geographical mess, aren't I? Up here we just keep it simple.......you are either up in the mountains or you are down in the valley!

As for that radio question, I am not aware of any volleyball game ever being broadcast up this way, nor any filming being done. But maybe I just glossed right over it because I would not have been thinking about it.

Considering the fast pace of the action, I would pity any poor soul that tried to broadcast a game on radio. But I guess it could be done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT