ADVERTISEMENT

Lafayette back to 3A- will miss the 4A group

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
Will miss the possible play of Dinwiddie, LT, EV, Louisa and other 4A teams at playoff time. On to Hopewell, Phoebus and others.

This year Lafayette will play a benefit game to start I believe against Kecoughtan of NN. Good idea to a real game under the belt early.
OOD game this year will be Goochland who is moving up to 3A. A top opponent out the gate this year. I understand Bruton will again play only a limited schedule against their 3A opponents not 4A, so we will play them this year. No forfeit or no game fiasco like last year.

Have they released the full 2019 football schedule yet?

Will miss the possible play of Dinwiddie, LT, EV, Louisa and other 4A teams at playoff time. On to Hopewell, Phoebus and others.

This year Lafayette will play a benefit game to start I believe against Kecoughtan of NN. Good idea to a real game under the belt early.
OOD game this year will be Goochland who is moving up to 3A. A top opponent out the gate this year. I understand Bruton will again play only a limited schedule against their 3A opponents not 4A, so we will play them this year. No forfeit or no game fiasco like last year.
We'll miss having you over on the 4A board as a regular poster. I know Lafayette will drop down, but you can still banter with us over on the 4A board.

Have they released the full 2019 football schedule yet?
Goochland to start the season st home, then the usual 9 Bay River teams. Last year was weighted toward away games, this year a majority at home. Not too much variation when 9/10 are District games.

Goochland to start the season st home, then the usual 9 Bay River teams. Last year was weighted toward away games, this year a majority at home. Not too much variation when 9/10 are District games.
I thought maybe they would add some C3 teams since the Rams don't have to play a whole district slate anymore.

I thought maybe they would add some C3 teams since the Rams don't have to play a whole district slate anymore.
They are committed to play the full Bay Rivers slate, 9 games. I’ve been told Bruton is still going to field a football team and play like last year a reduced schedule of only the class 3 teams. They hope to one day get enough bodies to go to a full schedule again. I don’t see that happening. I was hoping they would just cancel and allow those who wished to play attend very nearby York HS. That would have opened up another OOD game with a competitive foe. We don’t need to play a winless team and be up 49-0 in the 2nd Q. That prepares you for nothing.

What's the outlook for the Rams, Lafayette?
Should be another excellent year. QB this year is a sophomore that was starting pitcher on State Champion baseball team and anticipated to be one of the better Qb’s in a while. Good amount of returnees on line and Rb. Only questions are at OS LB but Lafayettes JV was outstanding so talent is there along with the best coaching staff around. Have a benefit game with Kecoughtan before opener with Goochland so some of the usual opener wrinkles will be rectified.

Lafayette is one of those programs that is very good over the long haul. I remember when Salem played them in 1998 State Title.

Lafayette is one of those programs that is very good over the long haul. I remember when Salem played them in 1998 State Title.
I was there too. Been going to Lafayette games since 1997, now 22 years! Wished we played in the first half like we did in the 2nd half in that game. But that Salem team is one of the best I’ve seen in all my years.

Should be another excellent year. QB this year is a sophomore that was starting pitcher on State Champion baseball team and anticipated to be one of the better Qb’s in a while. Good amount of returnees on line and Rb. Only questions are at OS LB but Lafayettes JV was outstanding so talent is there along with the best coaching staff around. Have a benefit game with Kecoughtan before opener with Goochland so some of the usual opener wrinkles will be rectified.

Thanks, Lafayette, I'm interested in seeing the quarterback play....

I was there too. Been going to Lafayette games since 1997, now 22 years! Wished we played in the first half like we did in the 2nd half in that game. But that Salem team is one of the best I’ve seen in all my years.

I was there, as well...what stood out to me was Salem's size.

Is there any truth that 2A King William’s Sr. Marc Gresham 5’8” 165lbs (WR,RB,CB), his brother So. Loyal Gresham 6’3” 210lbs (RB,LB) and MAYBE one other player have transferred to Lafayette for this year? The older Gresham is a Mr. Do It All with good speed. His brother who I didn’t get to see play last year due to an early season injury, is (I’m told) a physical runner. Just wondering if the rumors are true. If so, the Gresham brothers are a good transfer for Lafayette.

Last edited:
Just saw that Lafayette’s QB just made a verbal commit to UVA for Baseball. http://www.ultimaterecruit.com/757football/lafayette-qb-luke-hanson-commits-to-uva/

We also have a really talented TE in Senior Tyler Neville. All region last year and has about 30 D1 offers.

I was there, as well...what stood out to me was Salem's size.
https://www.dailypress.com/sports/highschool/dp-spt-1998-salem-lafayette-gamer-story.html

Article kind of triggered some memories for me. When the Rams hit the long pass and with the elusiveness of QB I thought mistakes kept them from scoring more early. Also, there incredible running game was shut down through most of game but they were the first team that had scored against Salem in the playoffs.

Is there any truth that 2A King William’s Sr. Marc Gresham 5’8” 165lbs (WR,RB,CB), his brother So. Loyal Gresham 6’3” 210lbs (RB,LB) and MAYBE one other player have transferred to Lafayette for this year? The older Gresham is a Mr. Do It All with good speed. His brother who I didn’t get to see play last year due to an early season injury, is (I’m told) a physical runner. Just wondering if the rumors are true. If so, the Gresham brothers are a good transfer for Lafayette.
Don’t know but Lafayette does get transfers from the smaller schools in that area. They get the exposure here to elevate their offers for sure. I will ask one of the coaches that lives on my block to verify or not.

Reactions: Essex Trojan1
I can confirm the Gresham brothers did both transferred to Lafayette as well as one Warhill player. With Lafayette’s two very large TEs and rising star sophomore QB, Luke Hanson it should be a very good year.

I can confirm the Gresham brothers did both transferred to Lafayette as well as one Warhill player. With Lafayette’s two very large TEs and rising star sophomore QB, Luke Hanson it should be a very good year.
Thanks for the 411. Lafayette has picked up 2 good ones in the Gresham brothers.

Last edited:
EPJr - how is Henrico looking this year?
they have a good team again this year. However in their killer region being just good may not be good enough; especially with two schools (Manchester and Clover Hill) dropping down from Class 6 into an already overloaded 5B.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT