ADVERTISEMENT

Lafayette @ Chancellor Scrimmage

Aug 19, 2015
Attended the Lafayette Chancellor scrimmage tonight in Spotsylvania and came away impressed with both squads. By my count using only the first team reps, Chancellor defeated Lafayette 27-21 including 13-8 in the live 2 quarter part of the scrimmage.

Highlights:

Lafayette hit two long passes for TDs which was surprising considering their Wing T offense. They did always have one lo drive on Chancellor for a TD. Other than those two big pass plays and the one long drive, the Chancellor defense played well. Chancellor did have what looked like a 6'5" receiver who was matched up with the Lafayette DB for most of the night and it was a good matchup. The Lafayette QB had great touch on the deep balls but was often under pressure from Chancellor and with quick whistles plays ended.

As for Chancellor, I was impressed with their QB, not sure if he is a JR or SR, but the kid has a strong arm, good decision making and can escape pretty well in and out of the pocket. But again with the quick whistle it seemed that it could have been more for the QB if not for quick whistles. The Chancellor RBs ran well and I was really impressed with the second team kid that apparently started in the JV scrimmage and came to the varsity scrimmage for the 2 quarter situations.

Overall, both teams impressed. Lafayette looks like a solid 4A team that will make a deep run in the playoffs and Chancellor was better than I expected, but with their tough schedule, I can't see them being a playoff team, and if they are, they sneak in.

Good luck to both teams and all teams as we head into week 1

That was a good report. I believe the Chancellor QB is a Sophomore. I'm sure someone will correct or confirm this.

Chancellor does has a tough schedule but these guys are my dark horses this year. They will lose games but they are a classic Shauntclair squad. Absolutely no one will want to see them come playoff time. I have seen the last two years and it has been an embarrassment. But this is a Bob Oliver team. He conceeded a rebuild with a team of Freshmen several years ago. It got ugly. Now, most are Juniors and been working hard. Chargers will surprise this year. Lock it.

Looked up the Chancellor roster this morning, the QB was a Sophomore last season so he is a Junior. Also forgot to mention last night, Chancellor kicker hit a 40 yd and 48 yd field goal. I'm not really sure what to make of them, played well against a top 4A team, but I just keep coming back to that schedule, which gives me pause. Time will tell

Overall, both teams impressed. Lafayette looks like a solid 4A team that will make a deep run in the playoffs and Chancellor was better than I expected, but with their tough schedule, I can't see them being a playoff team, and if they are, they sneak in.
I'm not sure why you say Lafayette will make a deep playoff run but not say the same about Chancellor (regardless of schedule) after Chancellor just out-scored Lafayette. Lafayette won't get tested this season until round two, and it won't be a team like Huguenot or Western Albemarle (a team two 4A East playoff teams hung 50+ points on last season) this time.

Last edited:
With a 10 game schedule teams will change, improve, etc. scrimmages are nice but that is all they are. Last year after a scrimmage I believe against either Chacellor or Courtland the postings were that Lafayette was just so-so. By mid season the players and coaches will know their real potential.

With a 10 game schedule teams will change, improve, etc. scrimmages are nice but that is all they are. Last year after a scrimmage I believe against either Chacellor or Courtland the postings were that Lafayette was just so-so. By mid season the players and coaches will know their real potential.

And they were playing in those first 5 games:
2A Brunswick
2A Bruton
4A Grafton
4A Tabb
4A Jamestown

Heavyweights right there

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
But they made it to the 3a final. And Brunswick made it to the 2a semi and Grafton and Tabb are no slouches at all. Everyone plays a team like Jamestown.

I'm not sure why you say Lafayette will make a deep playoff run but not say the same about Chancellor (regardless of schedule) after Chancellor just out-scored Lafayette. Lafayette won't get tested this season until round two, and it won't be a team like Huguenot or Western Albemarle (a team two 4A East playoff teams hung 50+ points on last season) this time.

I look at Chancellor and Lafayette and I see the two schedules and I think wow Chancellor has a brutal opening stretch and tough schedule overall. They did impress me last night, and maybe they can sneak into the playoffs, but if they do, it could be a quick exit too. Lafayette I believe can win a game or two in the playoffs, hence the deep run idea.

But they made it to the 3a final. And Brunswick made it to the 2a semi and Grafton and Tabb are no slouches at all. Everyone plays a team like Jamestown.

Beating along the way...
Huguenot
Hopewell
Petersburg
Western Albemarle

Is making the playoffs a barometer for how good the teams you play are? Huguenot made the playoffs at 1-9 does that make them good? Grafton and Tabb are good for the Bay Rivers but they both go embarrassed in the playoffs. 2A playoff success is cool against other 2A schools, but c'mon if your best win is against a 2A semifinalist then that's not good.

I look at Chancellor and Lafayette and I see the two schedules and I think wow Chancellor has a brutal opening stretch and tough schedule overall. They did impress me last night, and maybe they can sneak into the playoffs, but if they do, it could be a quick exit too. Lafayette I believe can win a game or two in the playoffs, hence the deep run idea.
But why can't Chancellor make a deep run if they sneak in the playoffs, but Lafayette can make a deep run? I would think Chancellor would be more battle tested at that point.

Reactions: DEVILSLB99
In the end it is a matter of opinion how good teams are and Virginia is so regionalized in the opinion of fans ( my area is best!!). You play in your district and you play the teams in the playoffs that are in your group and win. I would not put down the 3a teams we played in the playoffs. All had very good talent and records can be deceiving based on who was injuries when and for how long. I look forward to a good year for Lafayette. To say they will not be tested until game 12 is totally silly and ignorant, a common trait on this board.

Under the new 4A East pod Lafayette will be 10-0 an in a pod that consists of:
LT
Kings Fork
Heritage
Great Bridge
Churchland
Denbigh
Smithfield
Grafton
Deep Creek
Jamestown
Wilson

So for kicks:
1. Lafayette
2. LT
3. Kings Fork
4. Heritage
5. Great Bridge
6. Grafton
7. Churchland
8. Smithfield

So 1st round Lafayette beats 8 seed. 2nd round they could play someone like Heritage, Kings Fork, Great Bridge..Now I don't know about you but a team from the SED or PD is a BIG step up from playing Hopewell and Petersburg in the 2nd round and these teams will be battle tested and a lot better.

In the end it is a matter of opinion how good teams are and Virginia is so regionalized in the opinion of fans ( my area is best!!). You play in your district and you play the teams in the playoffs that are in your group and win. I would not put down the 3a teams we played in the playoffs. All had very good talent and records can be deceiving based on who was injuries when and for how long. I look forward to a good year for Lafayette. To say they will not be tested until game 12 is totally silly and ignorant, a common trait on this board.

Who in the BRD will challenge them? Let's be honest here it's not about being silly and ignorant I know who Lafayette plays and its what they are stuck with in the BRD. But to give off the perception that they will be tested would be taking people's knowledge for granted. Can't run that scam on us man we know what the BRD is all about.

But why can't Chancellor make a deep run if they sneak in the playoffs, but Lafayette can make a deep run? I would think Chancellor would be more battle tested at that point.

100% more battle tested. They can talk up the Bay Rivers but they all went home after round 1 except York and Poquoson and they both had favorable matchups in the first round (York vs. Armstrong Richmond school) and (Poquoson vs. Southampton - another BRD school) Round 2 Petersburg put up 56 on Poquoson then 8 on Lafayette the next week shows you the talent disparity right there.

Who in the BRD will challenge them? Let's be honest here it's not about being silly and ignorant I know who Lafayette plays and its what they are stuck with in the BRD. But to give off the perception that they will be tested would be taking people's knowledge for granted. Can't run that scam on us man we know what the BRD is all about.
I think both Tabb and Grafton will field very good teams and either could pull an upset.

100% more battle tested. They can talk up the Bay Rivers but they all went home after round 1 except York and Poquoson and they both had favorable matchups in the first round (York vs. Armstrong Richmond school) and (Poquoson vs. Southampton - another BRD school) Round 2 Petersburg put up 56 on Poquoson then 8 on Lafayette the next week shows you the talent disparity right there.
I remember not that many years ago while in 4a the region (1) was basically BRD, the Fredericksburg schools and Powhatan. Everyone thought Powhatans south side schedule was all cream puffs. They still won alot of playoff games. Sometimes strength of schedule does not mean everything.

I think both Tabb and Grafton will field very good teams and either could pull an upset.

This is the thing...Tabb and Grafton are very well coached teams that work well with what they have coming to them, but they aren't a serious threat to do anything come playoff time. Now can a team sleep on them and be in for a battle?? Of course but that's what will have to happen for them to spring the upset in most playoff games in 4a. Tabb goes 7-3 in the BRD a season ago plays Hanover who is extremely one dimensional and gets beat 14-32. That same one dimensional Hanover team goes to play Heritage (NN) in round 2 who in there own right is not explosive offensively and is more of a defensive minded team a season ago and Heritage scored 34 points. Heritage only went of 30 points 4 times last year. Different caliber of opponent in the playoffs.

I remember not that many years ago while in 4a the region (1) was basically BRD, the Fredericksburg schools and Powhatan. Everyone thought Powhatans south side schedule was all cream puffs. They still won alot of playoff games. Sometimes strength of schedule does not mean everything.
2003 Powhatan won a title and in 2005 they made the finals losing to Salem. Being from the Richmond area no one respected Powhatan like that because they played no one. Sure they have won a lot of playoff games but what does that mean? Look at the teams they were beating in those playoff games. Good luck to Lafayette and we shall see how good they are starting round 2.

Damn, I really hate this part. Devil is correct. The Ram's play no one. Gives them a high seed in round one and two. But don't think for a second they're in the same class as a Dinwiddie or LT. Even a very good 3A team like JM owns them. Always has. The schedule is everything. I understand, the games still have to be played and won. That is an accomplishment and doesn't mean they're not good, but going 10 - 0 on that schedule will be a massive misconception of what the Rams are actually capable of.

Reactions: DEVILSLB99
Damn, I really hate this part. Devil is correct. The Ram's play no one. Gives them a high seed in round one and two. But don't think for a second they're in the same class as a Dinwiddie or LT. Even a very good 3A team like JM owns them. Always has. The schedule is everything. I understand, the games still have to be played and won. That is an accomplishment and doesn't mean they're not good, but going 10 - 0 on that schedule will be a massive misconception of what the Rams are actually capable of.
To say in 10 games the collective group is a group of "no ones" is a pretty sad statement. 2 years we lost in OT to Jm, they beat most of your areas teams year in and out. Baring key injuries I will be interested to see how we fare against the NN and VB area teams.

To say in 10 games the collective group is a group of "no ones" is a pretty sad statement. 2 years we lost in OT to Jm, they beat most of your areas teams year in and out. Baring key injuries I will be interested to see how we fare against the NN and VB area teams.
Sad but true.

Chancellor won't sneak into the playoffs. They'll earn their spot. Yes, they won't go on the easy road and will get Eliminated after a game or two but they'll be playing the tough guys. Of course and like every team, they have some "should wins". In the current setup, schedule is everything. Fortunately, the cream does always rise to the top in the end. Unfortunately, there are always teams out there that are very under rated and some very over rated. I've seen a number of 6 - 4 teams way better than 10 - 0 teams. Perspective is probably the most lacking thing on this board.

The one thing lacking on this board is common respect to others. The 3a board always had it, this board completely lacks it. Last post!

Notice how it's usually just one poster here stirring up trouble, though. That poster should've been banned years ago. Other than that I think it's pretty respectful here. Don't stop posting @Lafayette.

Notice how it's usually just one poster here stirring up trouble, though. That poster should've been banned years ago. Other than that I think it's pretty respectful here. Don't stop posting @Lafayette.
It's some posters that try to provide prospective. They don't disrespect anyone. Fans are fine and I understand that. Some simply have difficulty dealing with objectivity. It will come eventually. The Lions will lose their first two games. Lafayette plays no one. That's not disrespectful. That's just the way it is and they don't like to hear it. As always, I'll be here to take any lumps you decide to provide if I'm wrong. Certainly been there before and I will not hide. GL to all in 2015.

Theoretically, any team can make a deep run, it's just my opinion that Chancellor, should they sneak in, won't get past the first round, and Lafayette will win a game or two, making a "deep" run. I'm not a fan of either team, but I follow both and live closer to Spotsylvania than Williamsburg. If and when Chancellor wins some games this season I'll gladly come and eat crow so to speak. I want Chancellor to do well, Coach Oliver is a great man and coach, and I want to see the chargers do well.

Good luck to both teams

I guess you're saying you don't see much upside with Chancellor. Did they have a lot a penalties or were they more cleaned up than the last few years?

It's some posters that try to provide prospective. They don't disrespect anyone. Fans are fine and I understand that. Some simply have difficulty dealing with objectivity. It will come eventually. The Lions will lose their first two games. Lafayette plays no one. That's not disrespectful. That's just the way it is and they don't like to hear it. As always, I'll be here to take any lumps you decide to provide if I'm wrong. Certainly been there before and I will not hide. GL to all in 2015.
The facts are that sometimes the truth just hurts , keep posting everyone haha

Here's the thing: Nobody knows. A few year ago when a team who had been down (Was it Warhill?) beat defending state champ Poquoson the question on HRVarsity was, "Is this the biggest upset in Peninsula football history?". As the season went along, though, it turned out that it wasn't an upset at all. The "upset" winner had a great year, something like 9-1, 8-2, while Poquoson finished around .500. So talk this time of year may be fun but right now nobody really knows.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
I guess you're saying you don't see much upside with Chancellor. Did they have a lot a penalties or were they more cleaned up than the last few years?

They impressed, and did not turn the ball over during first team reps. They did not have many penalties, and I believe they could be a decent team, but that schedule scares me. They could be physically beat up from it and limp into playoffs if they make it. Like I said, I hope I am wrong

They impressed, and did not turn the ball over during first team reps. They did not have many penalties, and I believe they could be a decent team, but that schedule scares me. They could be physically beat up from it and limp into playoffs if they make it. Like I said, I hope I am wrong
That is an issue. Several years ago, the Chargers had a State Champion quality team. Every component you need was there. They absolutely destroyed themselves with turnovers and penalties. Courtland beat them twice that season. No way they were better than the Chargers. But the scoreboard has the final say. Hopefully, that history of screwing themselves can be corrected. I would like to believe that Chancellor is way better than expected this season. I want it to be so. But here I am, so often defining my thoughts by history of a program, expecting something different. I like to be objective at all times. Bottom line, the Chargers have to start with Riverbend, Massaponax, EV and Liberty Bealton. They also have Courtland and JM. Salem and Lafayette will face no teams of that caliber during their regular season. They play girls. It is what it is. Chancellor will get in and they will be dangerous but I don't expect their seeding to get them far in the East. The road is just too hard. GL to all in 2015.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT