ADVERTISEMENT

Game Recap Lafayette wins state title 27-13 over Lord Botetourt

VaPrepsRod

VaPreps All Region
Staff
Jul 5, 2008
Rams capture first title since 2001

In the first half, Lafayette head coach Andy Linn saw one of his team's punts get partially blocked near midfield which lead to the only touchdown of the first half as Lord Botetourt got a one-yard Hunter Rice touchdown run less than two minutes later.

So, with the game's outcome still in the balance with just over three minutes to play and punting from the Botetourt 40-yard line, Linn switched out his freshman punter with his best athlete, UVA commit Mike Green, telling his senior star to "get it out of their as quick as you can. It's a decision that brought Linn his first state championship and Lafayette their first since 2001 when they topped Pulaski County. Facing a heavy rush and an almost certain blocked punt, Green managed to escape to his right then duck, dodge, and weave his way through numerous Cavaliers tacklers for a game-clinching 40-yard touchdown run.

"That’s the absolute greatest play I’ve seen by a Lafayette player," said Linn who started at the school in 1997, shaking his head in disbelief.

The score pushed the Rams to a 27-13 advantage with just 1:27 left to play and their defense held up from there.

In the back-and-forth physical contest, it was the Rams who made all of the right plays at all of the right times, particularly in the final 13 minutes.

Trailing 13-10 with just over a minute left in the third quarter, the Rams got their first big play of the contest when senior safety Bryce Cupp picked off a Botetourt pass on the Cavaliers 28-yard line and returned it 21 yards to the seven. Four plays later, facing a fourth-and-goal at the Cavaliers one-yard line, Hanson broke through on a quarterback sneak on the opening play of the fourth quarter to give Lafayette a 17-13 lead.

Just three plays later, the Rams defense came up with another huge play as senior linebacker Aidan Byron stepped in front of a Botetourt pass in the middle of the field and returned it to the eight-yard line. Though the Rams couldn't capitalize with a touchdown, they got their second field goal of the day from kicker Cannon Newell as he split the uprights from 22 yards out to push the Rams to a 20-13 advantage.

After the teams traded punts, Lord Botetourt took over possession with four minutes to play at their own 45-yard line, down seven points. Three plays later, the Lafayette defense answered the call again stripping the Cavs of the ball near midfield and Byron emerged from the pile with his second takeaway of the day.

Two minutes later, Green put the game to rest.

On the night, the Lafayette defense allowed 269 yards of offense with 248 of those coming on the ground while the Rams offense rushed for 137 and added 104 passing. However, Lafayette won the turnover battle picking off three Cavs passes and scooping up one fumble while the Rams never turned the ball over. Additionally, Botetourt was penalized 14 times for 141 yards to Lafayette's 8 penalties for 45 yards.

Lafayette key stats:
Miguel Reel, 20 carries, 65 yards
Mike Green, 6 receptions, 66 yards, 40 yards rushing, two touchdowns
Luke Hanson, one touchdown rushing, one passing

Lord Botetourt key stats:
Hunter Rice, 21 carries, 102 yards, one touchdown
Dylan Wade, 15 carries, 110 yards, one touchdown

Scoring

Lord Botetourt 0 - 7 - 6 - 0 - 13
Lafayette 0 - 3 - 7 - 17 - 27

First quarter

LB — Rice 1 run (Harvey kick)

Second quarter

Laf — FG Newell 40

Third quarter

Laf — Green 28 pass from Hanson (Newell kick)

LB — Wade 2 run (kick blocked)

Fourth quarter

Laf — Hanson 1 run (Newell kick)

Laf — FG Newell 22

Laf — Green 40 run (Newell kick)

** Video and images coming from Will Garlick soon **

Reactions: matthew328826
Like the question about a neutral field and the 3 hour drive. Playing the championships at Liberty is always a 3+ Hour drive from here and being a 30/45 minute drive from all the Roanoke area teams is questionable as “neutral” for all. Just my opinion.
But I expected the head coach for the conference? Why not him? Tough for three players right after a really tough loss to answer questions.

Any Lafayette interviews??

Last edited:
Like the question about a neutral field and the 3 hour drive. Playing the championships at Liberty is always a 3+ Hour drive from here and being a 30/45 minute drive from all the Roanoke area teams is questionable as “neutral” for all. Just my opinion.
But I expected the head coach for the conference? Why not him? Tough for three players right after a really tough loss to answer questions.

I like the idea of rotating to neutral fields, but just to clarify Roanoke to LU is an hour.

Postgame Interview with Lafayette Coach Andy Linn & LB Aidan Byron:

Postgame Interview with Lafayette standouts (left to right) of WR/DB Donald Gatling, LB/TE Mike Green, QB Luke Hanson and OL Tommy Gardner:

Big thanks to Will Garlick and Rod Johnson for their work on Saturday covering the Class 3 title game!

Hotel stay the night before may have been better than a 3-hour drive.

Different ways to do things. Salem made the trip to Norfolk morning of the game, and afterwards rode back home. Punch that clock and get the job done.
Our players live right here and they still stayed at a hotel on Friday night. But Salem has won so many championships it’s no big deal.

Postgame Interview with Lafayette Coach Andy Linn & LB Aidan Byron:

Postgame Interview with Lafayette standouts (left to right) of WR/DB Donald Gatling, LB/TE Mike Green, QB Luke Hanson and OL Tommy Gardner:

Big thanks to Will Garlick and Rod Johnson for their work on Saturday covering the Class 3 title game!
Saw the game this afternoon on NHFS after seeing it live at Wanner stadium yesterday. The picture clarity was great and the three commentators were excellent! One was ex Salem player! All top notch.

Our players live right here and they still stayed at a hotel on Friday night. But Salem has won so many championships it’s no big deal.
Don't think Salem has ever stayed in hotel before game. Willis White didn't believe in it.
Still fondly remember 2nd State Championship in 98. Salem beat a very good team.

Saw the game this afternoon on NHFS after seeing it live at Wanner stadium yesterday. The picture clarity was great and the three commentators were excellent! One was ex Salem player! All top notch.
Brayden Overstreet (Buddha) did a good job. Mark Fought was the main announcer and he used to be the Blacksburg radio guy. I watched till halftime.

Reactions: matthew328826
Don't think Salem has ever stayed in hotel before game. Willis White didn't believe in it.
Still fondly remember 2nd State Championship in 98. Salem beat a very good team.
Salem 28. Lafayette 18 our 13 game winning streak stopped. One of the best Lafayette offensive teams ever. Never recovered from a slow start as I remember. Rats!!!!

It doesn’t matter where the game is played if the refs insert themselves in the game is complete garbage. I’ve been told by numerous refs that there’s penalties on every play practically, when there’s 14-6 penalties the refs were garbage

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT