ADVERTISEMENT

Lake Taylor vs King George

DEVILSLB99

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2005
Mighty quiet about this game. King George coaches were very chirpy before the game which all it did was motivate LT even more. Dropped 44 points on a team most of you picked to win. Not too bad for the third/fourth best team left. Sure the QB got hurt early, but he doesn’t play defense. Over 400 yards of offense for LT yesterday and held KG to negative yards rushing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
I wasn’t paying attention to the lead-up to the game here. What did KG’s coaches say?

I wasn’t paying attention to the lead-up to the game here. What did KG’s coaches say?
Pregame talking trash to the LT kids talking about those rings don’t mean anything. Just a lot from a couple of their coaches. I was shocked like don’t poke the bear. No one up here really have LT a chance. Look at the pick em. Think only 1 person out of the 4 picked LT. Truth be told watching the film Monacan should have beat them last week. Their biggest mistake was they stopped running the Wildcat. KG really sad no answer. I saw the talk about KG coaches adjust so well after halftime well their defensive adjustment at halftime was detrimental.

Props to Lake Taylor. Losing the starting qb on the opening drive hurt. By the time he came back into the game it was 20-0. Multiple 3 and outs killed the defense. Scored two quick touchdowns when the qb returned late in the second quarter. Defense controlled the veer pretty well but had no answer for the skill guys on the edge, they were dudes. KG was down 8 with about 2 minutes to go on the road against one of the best 4a programs in the state, after losing their starting qb for most of the first half. I'd say they acquitted themselves quite well. LT coaches said we were the best team they played all year. I'll take that. Good luck to both LT and Salem going forward.

Reactions: WP02alum
Pregame talking trash to the LT kids talking about those rings don’t mean anything. Just a lot from a couple of their coaches. I was shocked like don’t poke the bear. No one up here really have LT a chance. Look at the pick em. Think only 1 person out of the 4 picked LT. Truth be told watching the film Monacan should have beat them last week. Their biggest mistake was they stopped running the Wildcat. KG really sad no answer. I saw the talk about KG coaches adjust so well after halftime well their defensive adjustment at halftime was detrimental.
Mighty quiet about this game. King George coaches were very chirpy before the game which all it did was motivate LT even more. Dropped 44 points on a team most of you picked to win. Not too bad for the third/fourth best team left. Sure the QB got hurt early, but he doesn’t play defense. Over 400 yards of offense for LT yesterday and held KG to negative yards rushing.
LT was everything they showed on film which is a very good team that I think they win states as they have size, speed and athleticism on both sides of the ball that is very tough to match up with. But to talk about KG like it was a complete dominance is a little misleading. Mutter getting hurt on a bad snap as KG was inside the redzone which turned into a TD for LT changed things right from the beginning. Not having him those 3 possessions hurt KG as not even scoring points but possibly flipping field position could have different outcome. As well 2nd half LT scores only 16 points which was one TD that KG had no choice to bring everyone to try and get a 4th down stop that allowed the big TD run. Again I think this was a good game and wish the best to LT in the finals as they are very talented across the board but credit is due to the KG team that was projected to finish 4th/5th in their own district to give LT one of their toughest games of the season speaks volumes.

LT was everything they showed on film which is a very good team that I think they win states as they have size, speed and athleticism on both sides of the ball that is very tough to match up with. But to talk about KG like it was a complete dominance is a little misleading. Mutter getting hurt on a bad snap as KG was inside the redzone which turned into a TD for LT changed things right from the beginning. Not having him those 3 possessions hurt KG as not even scoring points but possibly flipping field position could have different outcome. As well 2nd half LT scores only 16 points which was one TD that KG had no choice to bring everyone to try and get a 4th down stop that allowed the big TD run. Again I think this was a good game and wish the best to LT in the finals as they are very talented across the board but credit is due to the KG team that was projected to finish 4th/5th in their own district to give LT one of their toughest games of the season speaks volumes.
I don't think the outcome would have been any different if the QB never exit the game. LT was putting tremendous pressure in him.

Those rings mean more than the ones you don't have. I agree no need to poke the bear. All the talk in the world doesn't change what happens in the field.

I don't think the outcome would have been any different if the QB never exit the game. LT was putting tremendous pressure in him.
I don't know, 29-24 KG with him in the game. I think it would have been a thriller if he hadn't gotten hurt. Doesn't matter though, we could what if this to death. KG certainly "belonged" and earned their respect. Lake Taylor is insanely athletic and will give Salem fits.

I don't know, 29-24 KG with him in the game. I think it would have been a thriller if he hadn't gotten hurt. Doesn't matter though, we could what if this to death. KG certainly "belonged" and earned their respect. Lake Taylor is insanely athletic and will give Salem fits.
Salem rather athletic also. At least 4 D1 athletes maybe more. This is one of the most athletic teams Salem has ever had, don't think it's one of the best but Salem has athletes and speed at all skilled positions, line backer, and defensive backfield.

Reactions: FoxesPride
The Salem program has seen athletic teams before: Lake Taylor, Dinwiddie, Louisa, Martinsburg to name a few. Not Salems first rodeo.
Salems problem is that they are rather 1 dimensional on offense. They have a sophomore QB that is going to be a good one, but right now you don't want him to try to do too much. Defensively they are really good up the middle and at linebacker. They are talented big time in the secondary but for some reason have bee prone to blown coverages. Lake Taylor may beat Salem but the kids at Salem will not be awe struck or intimidated. They expect to win.

Salem rather athletic also. At least 4 D1 athletes maybe more. This is one of the most athletic teams Salem has ever had, don't think it's one of the best but Salem has athletes and speed at all skilled positions, line backer, and defensive backfield.
Trust me, after many times doubting them (thought Tuscarora would easily win) I promise to never underestimate them again! Another poster pointed this out before, they always seem to improve greatly throughout the year which is a testament to good coaches and kids. Mad respect! Good luck to both teams next week.

Yeah Coach Sawyer is a legend. His teams always seem to benefit from “lucky” moments in games along the way, but as they say, luck is what happens when hard work meets preparation.
Gotta be good and lucky to win a state title. Seems as though the state semifinal games are always entertaining for LT.

Surprised to hear the KG coaches were talking a lot. Seems strange. I thought KG could play ball with LT I just wondered could they stop LT’s run. Of coarse the loss of the KG QB hurt, that is huge. Would it have changed the outcome, IDK? One thing to mention is most of us had LT and Salem 1&2 all year and yet again here we are. Both teams are relatively young which is even scarier for the next couple. Look at the state title games across class 3-6 and it is practically the same teams every year.

Gotta be good and lucky to win a state title. Seems as though the state semifinal games are always entertaining for LT.

Surprised to hear the KG coaches were talking a lot. Seems strange. I thought KG could play ball with LT I just wondered could they stop LT’s run. Of coarse the loss of the KG QB hurt, that is huge. Would it have changed the outcome, IDK? One thing to mention is most of us had LT and Salem 1&2 all year and yet again here we are. Both teams are relatively young which is even scarier for the next couple. Look at the state title games across class 3-6 and it is practically the same teams every year.
Powerhouses across all Divisions. If Appo wins then all champs will be undefeated.

Man your pretty Chirpy. Did you play in that game? No, The head Coach came out on a golf cart ushering the Coaches, trainers and busses where he wanted them after the AD just told them to put them there. Then came him running his mouth. So when you talk Chirpy give the full story. Also #2 coming out the locker room telling the KG players F U. LT is known for all the trash talk. Good game that was a lot closer than the score says at the end. Throwing a ball with 3 minutes on the clock and a 16 point lead doesn't sound like the smartest idea. But he's the legend who evidently never gets out of the 757 to know where King George is.

Man your pretty Chirpy. Did you play in that game? No, The head Coach came out on a golf cart ushering the Coaches, trainers and busses where he wanted them after the AD just told them to put them there. Then came him running his mouth. So when you talk Chirpy give the full story. Also #2 coming out the locker room telling the KG players F U. LT is known for all the trash talk. Good game that was a lot closer than the score says at the end. Throwing a ball with 3 minutes on the clock and a 16 point lead doesn't sound like the smartest idea. But he's the legend who evidently never gets out of the 757 to know where King George is.
Don't forget not having a hands team on the field for 2 onside kicks... stunning. We recovered both, but one went 9 yds, 35 inches and they received the ball.

Devils goes back with Sawyer for years and coached many of the current LT guys. I see absolutely nothing wrong with him defending his guys and I respect him for that. Want to shut em up, beat them.. Sawyer is probably the most disrespected coach in VA. The man wins with a bunch of neighborhood kids. Last year I counted 27 kids on their sideline where they lost by running clock. That same team won the state championship and is back again. Put some RESPECT on Hank Sawyer’s name.

Hank Sawyer on a golf cart?? Nah wrong guy. He’s not a trash talker either. He’s the last coach to leave the school before the game as he comes out with the last group of kids. Maybe you thought it was him. LT had over 400 yards of offense KG didn’t have 200. But it was closer than the score. KG is the new kid on the block yet they had a lot to say and I get the confidence but it just motivated LT. Most people in Tidewater don’t know where KG is located.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Hank Sawyer on a golf cart?? Nah wrong guy. He’s not a trash talker either. He’s the last coach to leave the school before the game as he comes out with the last group of kids. Maybe you thought it was him. LT had over 400 yards of offense KG didn’t have 200. But it was closer than the score. KG is the new kid on the block yet they had a lot to say and I get the confidence but it just motivated LT. Most people in Tidewater don’t know where KG is located.
I've watched the game and this one wasn't close. The QB was under constant pressure the entire game. KG had absolutely no running game what so ever. LT offense moved the ball fairly easily. LT took their foot off the gas in the fourth. KG did a good job of making it a game with long pass and the pick 6.

No, it was Coach Sawyer having coaches move their vehicles, I was standing right there watching it happen. Wasn't that big of deal, maybe a little gamesmanship, but he wasn't talking trash. He wasn't driving the golf cart, he had a driver...lol. He was extremely gracious in victory and told our coaching staff that we were the best team they played all year and wants to schedule us. He said he wants that kind of competition during the regular season. Mad respect for their program and good luck to them going forward.

No, it was Coach Sawyer having coaches move their vehicles, I was standing right there watching it happen. Wasn't that big of deal, maybe a little gamesmanship, but he wasn't talking trash. He wasn't driving the golf cart, he had a driver...lol. He was extremely gracious in victory and told our coaching staff that we were the best team they played all year and wants to schedule us. He said he wants that kind of competition during the regular season. Mad respect for their program and good luck to them going forward.
Even though I was pulling for KG their entire offense was Mutter basically. What will next year look like is the bigger question.

Last edited:
Even though I was pulling for KG they’re entire offense was Mutter basically. What will next year look like is the bigger question.
KG had to patch together an offensive line and didn't really have a running back. We converted a slot receiver to play running back behind a very young, inexperienced offensive line. Next year they will certainly be more balanced, probably not as explosive. The defense will probably be better, they were pretty young. If we get our "opt outs" and ineligible underclassmen back they will reload and be pretty darn good, albeit with a different identity.

Devils goes back with Sawyer for years and coached many of the current LT guys. I see absolutely nothing wrong with him defending his guys and I respect him for that. Want to shut em up, beat them.. Sawyer is probably the most disrespected coach in VA. The man wins with a bunch of neighborhood kids. Last year I counted 27 kids on their sideline where they lost by running clock. That same team won the state championship and is back again. Put some RESPECT on Hank Sawyer’s name.
What neighborhood is that? Divison-one-talentsville? 😁 They had speed and athleticism at every position.

Last edited:
What neighborhood is that? Divison-one-talentsville? 😁 They had speed and athleticism at every position.
They pull from an extremely small area. Norview (5A school) is a few miles away and Lake Taylor is right on the Virginia Beach line. It’s amazing how small of an area they pull from and how good they are. They’ll be a 3A next year so maybe some other teams can have a chance to win Class 4 😂

They pull from an extremely small area. Norview (5A school) is a few miles away and Lake Taylor is right on the Virginia Beach line. It’s amazing how small of an area they pull from and how good they are. They’ll be a 3A next year so maybe some other teams can have a chance to win Class 4 😂
Yeah, Class 4 loses LT and gains Varina...yeah! LOL! Best talent I have seen on football field...but probably the worst football field I've seen except for IC Norcom. How many state championships does he have to win to get a decent field, that's disrespectful...and now it's going to be the sight of the state championship. That team deserves better.

Yeah, Class 4 loses LT and gains Varina...yeah! LOL! Best talent I have seen on football field...but probably the worst football field I've seen except for IC Norcom. How many state championships does he have to win to get a decent field, that's disrespectful...and now it's going to be the sight of the state championship. That team deserves better.
Varina is the new kid on the block. They had a great season last yr. This does not make them a replacement for LT. Time will tell but at least LT had won a title in Div 5 before coming to Div 4

Amen brother! Varina is my early favorite to win Class 4 next year. They’ll be absolutely loaded. May be a drop off after next year but they’d even be a favorite in Class 5 next year. The field that LT plays on is just a microcosm of what the students in the inner city are dealt with. Idk how many people on this board have attended or worked in an inner city school, but those kids are given the short end in just about everything. Those are the kids I’ve always preferred to work with simply because they want it just a tad bit more. I agree, they deserve a lot better but hopefully this success will gain their guys scholarship and professional opportunities in the coming years.

We can agree they deserve better... but those turf fields are pretty damn expensive!! Wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that one
They don't need turf... just someone to care and take care of the field. Unlevel, weeds growing, sprinkler heads sticking up. Wouldn't take much and that program deserves it!

Reactions: mbonape1
They don't need turf... just someone to care and take care of the field. Unlevel, weeds growing, sprinkler heads sticking up. Wouldn't take much and that program deserves it!
Hopefully they can find someone to do that for the state championship game. Seems pretty important.

Reactions: FoxesPride
That also has a bit to do with climate in that area. Not saying it’s impossible to have a good grass field in 757, but I know the VB schools almost all have below average natural grass fields. Kellam has turf but many of the other 757 HS’s have fields that don’t stand up well when it rains.

That also has a bit to do with climate in that area. Not saying it’s impossible to have a good grass field in 757, but I know the VB schools almost all have below average natural grass fields. Kellam has turf but many of the other 757 HS’s have fields that don’t stand up well when it rains.
This is a fact. I've probably dumped over $15k to get my field in better shape because the AD before me didn't care at all. Decided to put down Winter Rye this year since the season was in the spring..Best decision ever a lot of people are playing on weeds and dead Bermuda.

im not an expert like the rest of you guys here, by the way how many are coaches didnt think so, how absurd that it wouldnt have mattered if the qb didnt get hurt thats rubbish those kids were awesome just caught a bad break. they were the real deal period. great year foxes

Absolutely. We’ll never know. Congrats to LT all the same. Their run in Class 4 has been a strong one.

im not an expert like the rest of you guys here, by the way how many are coaches didnt think so, how absurd that it wouldnt have mattered if the qb didnt get hurt thats rubbish those kids were awesome just caught a bad break. they were the real deal period. great year foxes
This is not a one and done for KG. Coach Lunsford has done an incredible job building that program (1-9, 6-5, 8-1) and they will contend again next year for region B and will be a perennial contender as long as he is there.

Yeah Coach Sawyer is a legend. His teams always seem to benefit from “lucky” moments in games along the way, but as they say, luck is what happens when hard work meets preparation.
Whenever I watch Lake Taylor games, I'm always impressed with their toughness and persistence!! They just keep at it all game.

KG was good or they would not have been regional champs. I personally didn't say they were bad. I watched this game 2x and don't see KG winning even if QB doesnt miss 3 possessions. Unfortunately injuries are a part of the game. It wasn't too bad because he returned.

KG was good or they would not have been regional champs. I personally didn't say they were bad. I watched this game 2x and don't see KG winning even if QB doesnt miss 3 possessions. Unfortunately injuries are a part of the game. It wasn't too bad because he returned.
He dislocated his shoulder.

Reactions: SFUWO
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT