ADVERTISEMENT

Lebanon wins two in FCA tournament

swva_havok_fan

VaPreps Varsity
Feb 23, 2016
Unbeaten thru 6: Lebanon sweeps Generals and Trojans, advances to FCA tourney semifinals
  • BY ANTHONY STEVENS SPORTS CORRESPONDENT
BRISTOL, Va.–
The Pioneers remained undefeated after sweeping a doubleheader at Battle Field in the FCA tournament. Lebanon rolled by Lee High 14-0 in the opener. In a thriller, they outlasted the host John Battle Trojans 6-4 in the nightcap.

The Pioneers have now put six notches in the win column, but they had to rally in the fifth inning to do so. Trailing 3-0 in the top of the fifth, John Battle sent nine batters to the plate. When Eli Todd ripped a 2-0 pitch into centerfield for a two-run single the Trojans were up 4-3 and Lebanon was behind in a game for the first time this season.

"We had a little mental lapse in the fifth inning, John Battle has gotten better, and I told my kids they would get better," Lebanon coach Doc Adams said. "I was glad to see us come back. We showed a little character tonight, I’ve been talking about that.

"I’ve told these kids you better stay humble or you will get humbled. We were about ready to get humbled, but they stepped up and finished the job."

Chandler Morrison led off the sixth with a single to right for Lebanon. Battle starter Garrett Bowman who pitched a tremendous game struck out the next two. But Bowman, who was over 100 pitches, left the game. Reliver Micah Whitt walked Anthony Houchins. Preston Steele then came to the plate and lined a single to right to tie the game, but a couple Trojan defensive miscues allowed Houchins and Steele to both score on the play for a 6-4 lead.

"It was the first pitch I saw," Steele said. "I squared it up pretty good and it got the job done. They over ran it and I got to second and then they threw it away and I just kept going.

"I knew we had it then, Matthew [Buchanan] came in and he’s our ace. I feel confident whenever he’s on the mound."

Buchanan struggled with his control in the sixth walking two. But he finished with a flurry, with six strikeouts in two innings to get the save. Steele only threw four pitches in relief but got the win, after getting the final out in the fifth. Cole Stoots was solid, getting into the sixth inning on the mound for Lebanon with seven Ks.

"Cole pitched well, our defense got him in a jam," Adams said. "We had some misplays in the fifth that got Battle back in the game. We have to play better behind Cole, to get to where we want to be, Cole has to pitch, and we have to play behind him just like we play behind Matthew."

The Trojans were solid on the mound and hit the ball, but defense caused some problems.

"My kids played really hard, we battled hard," John Battle coach Jimmy Gobble said. "We made a few mistakes, but that happens with a young team. I’m very proud of our character, our plate approach and obviously Garrett pitched a heck of a game. He stayed ahead against a very good team and that’s all we can ask for. As long as we’re growing and learning, I’m pleased with the effort."

It’s a quick turnaround for John Battle who will play Abingdon today. Lebanon will play in the FCA semifinals on Saturday, although the opponent and site is still to be determined.

Lebanon 14, Lee High 0

Casey White took a no-hitter into the fifth inning, as the Pioneers defeated Lee High 14-0 in the opening game. Cade Marlin had the first hit for the Generals to end the no-no.

White was also strong at the plate, going 3-for-3 with an RBI. Steele went 3-for-4 with two triples and three RBIS. Buchanan had two hits and drove in three in the win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT