ADVERTISEMENT

Lee High basketball games available online (Staunton News Leader)

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
636200720567674019-lee-one-half141jpg.JPG

Robert E. Lee's Eli Crawford goes into a crowd of Martinsville players during the VHSL championship game Sunday, March 11, 2006.(Photo: File Photo)

Patrick Hite, Staunton News LeaderPublished 9:10 a.m. ET April 9, 2019

STAUNTON - When Paul Hatcher retired in 2011, he realized he had collected a lot of his basketball team's games on various forms of video and film.

For a few years after stepping down as the boys basketball coach at Robert E. Lee High School, Hatcher didn't do anything with the games, other than occasionally watch some of his favorite ones.

But his son, Jarrett Hatcher, who also coached the Leemen from 2011 through 2017 — the team won a state championship in 2017, giving the younger Hatcher a title to go along with the four his dad won over a 43-year coaching career — thought the videos should be made available to fans and former players.

The Hatchers began discussions with the company Glory Years, which offered to convert the game footage to a more modern technology. And, over the past few years, the company has been slowly converting the games to DVDs. They're also available online.

The cost of the DVDs or digital download is $15, although snippets of the games are available for free on GloryYears.com. There are more than 200 videos of Lee basketball available with more to come.

"And it's not just for the guys who played at Lee, but our opponents," Jarrett Hatcher said. "It's pretty neat."

A quick look on the website shows a 1991 game against Fort Defiance, a 1976 game against Waynesboro and a 1985 game against Harrisonburg. There are also some of the classic games that featured Lee's Mike Madden and Harrisonburg's Ralph Sampson from the late 1970s.

"Especially with the name change at the school there's been a lot of Lee High nostalgia," Hatcher said. "It's a good way for people to go back and, if you were a fan and maybe in middle school or high school and remember a game, those games are on there. It's a really neat concept."

Thanks for the info pizzzzza. I checked it out. Plenty of memories with those Paul Hatcher Lee basketball games. I will highlight a couple and tie it into fellow poster Sharkfan (Gate City).

There is one game in the early 1997-98 season at Liberty-Bedford. Lee lost to Liberty, who was the two-time defending AA champs. Led by AA Player of the Year "Peanut" Arrington, Liberty added the Leemen to the list of teams during a long home court win streak. Lee had two all-state players, 6'9 junior Jason Rogers and senior Carson Robinson.

Both teams advanced to the state semifinals that season at the Norfolk Scope. Lee lost to Magna Vista 55-53 while Liberty edged Western Albemarle. In the title game Magna Vista ended Liberty's win streak vs AA teams.

In 1997, Liberty beat Gate City in the semifinal before winning a good game vs Spotswood in the final. Gate City was led by all-state center Josh Shoemaker. Two seasons later Gate City lost in the AA final to Salem, and placed senior Chris Peters on the 1st team all-state. He was selected 2nd team in 1998. Lee's Rogers (UVA) was the AA Player of the Year in 1999.

Yea I was in heaven after I found out about this site - I remember most of the games, but especially the players.

It's too bad the quality of the older games is not as good as the newer ones, but that's to be expected.

I was watching some of the Lee 90 team - Waddy, Huffman, Stuart, Reid and Keith Scott.

I tell ya what - Keith Scott is still one of the best players to ever come out of Lee - he was such a smooth and talented player.

Thanks for the info pizzzzza. I checked it out. Plenty of memories with those Paul Hatcher Lee basketball games. I will highlight a couple and tie it into fellow poster Sharkfan (Gate City).

There is one game in the early 1997-98 season at Liberty-Bedford. Lee lost to Liberty, who was the two-time defending AA champs. Led by AA Player of the Year "Peanut" Arrington, Liberty added the Leemen to the list of teams during a long home court win streak. Lee had two all-state players, 6'9 junior Jason Rogers and senior Carson Robinson.

Both teams advanced to the state semifinals that season at the Norfolk Scope. Lee lost to Magna Vista 55-53 while Liberty edged Western Albemarle. In the title game Magna Vista ended Liberty's win streak vs AA teams.

In 1997, Liberty beat Gate City in the semifinal before winning a good game vs Spotswood in the final. Gate City was led by all-state center Josh Shoemaker. Two seasons later Gate City lost in the AA final to Salem, and placed senior Chris Peters on the 1st team all-state. He was selected 2nd team in 1998. Lee's Rogers (UVA) was the AA Player of the Year in 1999.

This one is one of my favorites....Mark Newlen, Donnie Darcus, Mouse Patterson, George Pannell....wow - so fundamentally sound.

There's also one of Lee vs Jefferson Senior (Roanoke) and All-American Mike Franklin - unfortunately the uploaded part is playing backwards!

Yea I was in heaven after I found out about this site - I remember most of the games, but especially the players.

It's too bad the quality of the older games is not as good as the newer ones, but that's to be expected.

I was watching some of the Lee 90 team - Waddy, Huffman, Stuart, Reid and Keith Scott.

I tell ya what - Keith Scott is still one of the best players to ever come out of Lee - he was such a smooth and talented player.
Scott was a very good defensive player too. Along with Todd Dunnings, they are the best guards I saw play at Lee. That 1990 undefeated team (voted by Lee fans as the best ever) had two of Lee's all-time players, Waddy and Scott, plus probably the best defensive point guard in Lee's history, JoJo Stuart. Oh yeah, they also has another 6'3 junior guard, Marcus Reed who ended up being a starter for VCU as a senior.

This one is one of my favorites....Mark Newlen, Donnie Darcus, Mouse Patterson, George Pannell....wow - so fundamentally sound.

There's also one of Lee vs Jefferson Senior (Roanoke) and All-American Mike Franklin - unfortunately the uploaded part is playing backwards!
Lol. I saw that. Mouse Patterson, Jefferson Senior, and UHall. One of the biggest wins in Hatcher's early seasons. The 1980s games at UHall were cool to see again. Lee made UHall a regular visit that decade, plus the 1990 and 1991 title games. Also, remember the 1978 district regular season playoff game vs Sampson and H'Burg at a sold out UHall? Great venue for the state tournament.

Speaking of Sampson, the 1977 games are so funny. He was a skinny sophomore that Big Mike Madden dominated. Ralph could take a shower and not get wet. Boy did he improve as a junior!

Scott was a very good defensive player too. Along with Todd Dunnings, they are the best guards I saw play at Lee. That 1990 undefeated team (voted by Lee fans as the best ever) had two of Lee's all-time players, Waddy and Scott, plus probably the best defensive point guard in Lee's history, JoJo Stuart. Oh yeah, they also has another 6'3 junior guard, Marcus Reed who ended up being a starter for VCU as a senior.

Lee has certainly been blessed over the years with quality players - and I agree about Todd Dunnings - smooth as silk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT