ADVERTISEMENT

Live Ball or Dead Ball?

NNDman

VaPreps All District
May 29, 2001
Kickoff bounces over the return man's head at the KR10. He races to pick up the ball towards the end zone. He picks it up at the 2 and ends up going into the end zone. Can he continue upfield or is this considered a touchback?

Kickoff bounces over the return man's head at the KR10. He races to pick up the ball towards the end zone. He picks it up at the 2 and ends up going into the end zone. Can he continue upfield or is this considered a touchback?
Sounds like possession was gained at the 2. If so, the kick has ended in the field of play and this is not a touchback if he goes into the end zone. The ball remains live and he can run it back out. If possession was not gained at the 2 and instead the ball was muffed/not in firm control by the player when it crossed the goal line, this would be a touchback as the kick never ended.

Side note: if the returner’s original momentum carries him into his own end zone after he recovers a kick (or intercepts a pass, recovers a fumble, etc.) between the 5 yard line and the goal line and he is downed in the end zone, it’s not a safety. This falls under the momentum rule and R would get the ball where he initially recovered the ball - in this case the 2 yard line (where hopefully an astute official has dropped a bean bag to mark the momentum spot).

Thanks. The return man was allowed to continue so it was the correct call. In another end zone inquiry, can an interception be returned out of the end zone?

Thanks. The return man was allowed to continue so it was the correct call. In another end zone inquiry, can an interception be returned out of the end zone?
Yes it can, unless it’s on a try or in OT where the ball is dead immediately after a change of possession.

All kicks (free and scrimmage kicks, meaning kickoffs and punts/FGs) are a touchback if they cross the opponent’s goal line. Kicks don’t end until they’re possessed. To keep the ball live on kick plays, the kick must be possessed before it reaches the goal line. Fumbles and passes are not touchbacks when they cross the goal line like kicks are, so the ball is still live in the end zone in these scenarios.

Thanks for another quick response! I saw a game a few years back where an INT in the end zone and the defense was awarded a touchback. I knew that had to be wrong.

Thanks for another quick response! I saw a game a few years back where an INT in the end zone and the defense was awarded a touchback. I knew that had to be wrong.
Only way that happens is 1.) the defender was down (doesn’t sound like that was the case) or 2.) there was an inadvertent whistle after the interception while the defender was in the end zone. #2 does happen sometimes, especially with lesser experienced officials still learning the rules. A learning experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT