ADVERTISEMENT

Local stars on JMU Football Team

ClarkeFan83

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 6, 2015
Berryville, VA
Got this from the Winchester Star yesterday:

As the James Madison University Dukes stand poised on the cusp of a second NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision title, it’s amazing to consider the school’s gridiron program is less than a half-century old — 44 years, to be exact.

We can recall its infancy, when the players of note were named Stith and Slayton, Branich and Adams, and Windham and Bergeria — and the coach was a bespectacled gentleman named Challace McMillin The Dukes made a quick imprint on the NCAA Division III ranks back then before going I-AA in 1980.

Now the players to watch are named Bryan Schor and Khalid Abdullah — and three young men whose monikers may be familiar to readers of this newspaper: Jonathan Kloosterman, a tight end from Strasburg; Gage Steele, a linebacker from Front Royal, and, from here in StarLand, Tyler Gray, a kicker out of Millbrook High in Frederick County.

On Friday night, all five young men played key roles in the unthinkable, but it was young Mr. Gray who had folks in the Northern Valley cheering the most. His 45-yard field goal with 11:46 remaining broke a 17-17 tie en route to a 27-17 conquest of the homestanding Bison of North Dakota State, the five-time defending national champions.

A streak of streaks was stopped, and it was the Dukes who stopped it. Now it’s on to the national championship contest — a game JMU won in 2004 — where the Dukes will take on Youngstown State, a last-second victor over Eastern Washington on Saturday — in the Frisco Bowl on Jan. 7.

In a word (or, to be precise, two), “Go, Dukes’.”

As the James Madison University Dukes stand poised on the cusp of a second NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision title, it’s amazing to consider the school’s gridiron program is less than a half-century old — 44 years, to be exact.

We can recall its infancy, when the players of note were named Stith and Slayton, Branich and Adams, and Windham and Bergeria — and the coach was a bespectacled gentleman named Challace McMillin The Dukes made a quick imprint on the NCAA Division III ranks back then before going I-AA in 1980.

Now the players to watch are named Bryan Schor and Khalid Abdullah — and three young men whose monikers may be familiar to readers of this newspaper: Jonathan Kloosterman, a tight end from Strasburg; Gage Steele, a linebacker from Front Royal, and, from here in StarLand, Tyler Gray, a kicker out of Millbrook High in Frederick County.

On Friday night, all five young men played key roles in the unthinkable, but it was young Mr. Gray who had folks in the Northern Valley cheering the most. His 45-yard field goal with 11:46 remaining broke a 17-17 tie en route to a 27-17 conquest of the homestanding Bison of North Dakota State, the five-time defending national champions.

A streak of streaks was stopped, and it was the Dukes who stopped it. Now it’s on to the national championship contest — a game JMU won in 2004 — where the Dukes will take on Youngstown State, a last-second victor over Eastern Washington on Saturday — in the Frisco Bowl on Jan. 7.

They missed starting OL AJ Bolden who also went to Millbrook.

Thank you Clarke Fan 83 for bringing up my teammates from the Madison College/JMU days when we got the thing going. It is with a great amount of pride and respect to the players and coaches that we are all rooting for the Dukes to bring back another National Championship to JMU. It has been a lot of fun to watch the program grow from the days when the only side of the stadium was the Godwin Hall side and most everyone watched from The Hill.

Thank you Clarke Fan 83 for bringing up my teammates from the Madison College/JMU days when we got the thing going. It is with a great amount of pride and respect to the players and coaches that we are all rooting for the Dukes to bring back another National Championship to JMU. It has been a lot of fun to watch the program grow from the days when the only side of the stadium was the Godwin Hall side and most everyone watched from The Hill.
Yep, I remember watching games from the hill with a keg or two around me and my friends back in '87-'89. Right by the train tracks! Good times.

Also former Blacksburg Qb and VT GA Brian Crist is a coach on the Youngstown staff Onward Penguins

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT