ADVERTISEMENT

Longest trip???

Gunz41

VaPreps All Region
Sep 22, 2007
Stuarts Draft VA
This thread about Hurley brings up a good question, what is the longest away game have posters had on here for their team? I can certainly say the longest I have had was a few years ago when Stuarts Draft had to travel down to Union which from my memory was about 4 hours. That was a Saturday game thank goodness, coming off the week before traveling to Dan River for a Friday game. The trip back was made better since we won. I believe it was the next year that Union made the trip to Stuarts Draft for a game

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Not my team but last year the Lancaster boys basketball team had to travel from deep in the Northern Neck to UVA Wise for a state basketball game. Off the top of my head I want to say it was like 425 miles one way. About a 7 hour trip.

Last year in 2a, Arcadia from the Eastern Shore, traveled to Clarke County for the first round football playoff game. At least 4 hours in a car, probably 5 hours on a school bus. Incidentally, Clarkefan said that he counted 7 fans on the Arcadia side, which included the bus drivers. Kudos the the Clarke fans, they cheered for the Arcadia kids when they took the field.

John Battle trekked to Tappahannock to face Essex in football in 2012. 360 or so miles. 5.5 hours drive. The Colonial Beach girls' basketball team went to UVA-Wise a couple 3 years ago. 415 or so miles. 6hrs 45 minutes drive. Way back when Clintwood traveled to Onancock to play a Group A state championship football game. 535 miles or so. 8 hrs, 45 minute drive. Ironically, both schools are no more. Clintwood combined with Haysi to form Ridgeview a couple years ago and Onancock combined with Central-Painter to form Nandua in 1984

If you factor all sports in there, the longest that I know of for Riverheads involved their girls, and I don't even remember if it was volleyball or basketball. (So maybe I shouldn't be answering at all.) But I am pretty sure they had a game on the Eastern Shore sometime within the last few years. But I could be wrong.

I guess our longest football trip was the one to Franklin in 2010 and for boys basketball, I would probably be the only one to remember this, but we played a game in Bassett once, however far that might be from Riverheads. But we also played George Mason on its home floor a couple of years ago and that might be farther.

The one thing Riverheads has been spared so far in any sport is the very longggg trip down in to SW Va, such as the Union trip that someone mentioned for Stuarts Draft. Our trips in recent years to George Wythe and Giles have been the farthest down that way that we have traveled.

Grundy's game at Bedford about 10 years back, which I think has been our farthest trek east ever.
Trekked to Hampton twice for wrestling in the late 80's - the Duals once (rode the team bus) and states at HU (rode with our newspaper guy).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT