ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Droughts

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Listening to one of my sports talks shows the other day they were talking playoff droughts in the NFL and it got me to thinking about droughts at the high school level.

What better time to talk about these things than now? The season is on the horizon, getting closer everyday and once the season gets here we will be talking games, players, etc... lost will be subjects like this so lets dive into the Class 1 teams.

These 5 teams have gone the longest without even making the playoffs!
1990 for Chincoteague
2012 for Craig
2015 for Lancaster & Northwood
2016 for Charles City

See any of these teams busting through in 2023?

As for teams with the longest losing streak in the playoffs?
1995 for Northampton who has lost 9 straight.
1996 for Thomas Walker who has lost 8 straight.
1994 for Middlesex who has lost 8 straight.
2014 for Brunswick who has lost 8 straight.
2003 for Northwood who has lost 7 straight.

See any of these teams snapping their streak in 2023?

Chincoteague did 8 man football last year and I assume they will continue to do so.

I would say Brunswick from that list. If Brunswick can avoid Poquoson and King William in the first round by getting a 6th seed or higher, they have a shot. TJ Richmonds program is improving in football and was pretty good last year. With TJ moving up to 3A, that helps Brunswicks chances. Southampton and Nottoway will be close as to who is the 3rd and 4th best teams. Brunswick will likely have to beat Southampton or Nottoway in round 1 to break their playoff losing streak. Brunswick would have a shot at Southampton or Nottoway. They aren't beating KW or Poqouson.

I would say Brunswick from that list. If Brunswick can avoid Poquoson and King William in the first round by getting a 6th seed or higher, they have a shot. TJ Richmonds program is improving in football and was pretty good last year. With TJ moving up to 3A, that helps Brunswicks chances. Southampton and Nottoway will be close as to who is the 3rd and 4th best teams. Brunswick will likely have to beat Southampton or Nottoway in round 1 to break their playoff losing streak. Brunswick would have a shot at Southampton or Nottoway. They aren't beating KW or Poqouson.

Brunswick is moving to Region 1B this year.

Brunswick is moving to Region 1B this year.
Then it will be real tough because the 3rd and 4th best in B are usually a little better than 3rd and 4th best in A. With Riverheads and Central, there's Stuart's Draft, Buckingham, Luray. Will be tough for Brunswick to beat those teams.

Then it will be real tough because the 3rd and 4th best in B are usually a little better than 3rd and 4th best in A. With Riverheads and Central, there's Stuart's Draft, Buckingham, Luray. Will be tough for Brunswick to beat those teams.
They're in Class 1 now, so they would be in the Region with Sussex, Buffalo Gap, Franklin, etc

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT