ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Droughts

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Inspired by a sports radio show I was listening to the other day on NFL playoff droughts.

What better time to talk about these things than now? The season is on the horizon, getting closer everyday and once the season gets here we will be talking games, players, etc... lost will be subjects like this so lets dive into the Class 5 teams.

These teams have gone the longest without even making the playoffs!

2000 for First Colonial
2016 for Bethel
2017 for Granby
2019 for Clover Hill, Great Bridge, Potomac Falls, Princess Anne & Riverside.

See any of these teams busting through in 2023?

As for teams with the longest losing streak in the playoffs?

8 straight losses for Tallwood since they made the state semifinals in 1998.
8 straight losses for Mills Godwin dating back to 1996.
8 straight losses for Clover Hill whose last win came in 1986!
7 straight losses for Bethel dating 15 years ago in 2008.
6 straight losses for Floyd Kellam whose last win also came in 2008.
6 straight losses for Albemarle whose last win was 2016.

See any of these teams snapping their streak in 2023?

Reactions: pizzzzza
Good stuff @CRF4Dan. I know you are spot on, but Clover Hill shocks me. They have ad some really good teams from 2004-2010. I think they lost to Dinwiddie twice during that time, but they also beat us in the regular season. It's so easy to make the playoffs now I would have thought try would have pulled off. I guess they surely have under performed. I don't see a win coming this season either. I would think Albemarle and Godwin could get a win this season.

Good stuff @CRF4Dan. I know you are spot on, but Clover Hill shocks me. They have ad some really good teams from 2004-2010. I think they lost to Dinwiddie twice during that time, but they also beat us in the regular season. It's so easy to make the playoffs now I would have thought try would have pulled off. I guess they surely have under performed. I don't see a win coming this season either. I would think Albemarle and Godwin could get a win this season.
2009 they were the top seed in Division 5 Central Region and lost to #4 Petersburg in the first round in overtime.

I remember that now. They had a very good quarterback. His name escapes me.
Escapes me as well. Clover Hill has had a few athletes come through the program they just never can get over the hump. I remember 2019 the Cavaliers were a good team and had a stud on defense named Dalton Collins but the drew Varina in the first round of the playoffs and that was the end of story.

Figured it out @CRF4Dan. Should have known it all along. Joel Caleb, he went to VA Tech. Signed in 2012. Dang my memory aint what is used to be. He was recruited as an athlete and played as a running back, wr, and maybe a little at db.

Figured it out @CRF4Dan. Should have known it all along. Joel Caleb, he went to VA Tech. Signed in 2012. Dang my memory aint what is used to be. He was recruited as an athlete and played as a running back, wr, and maybe a little at db.
I do recall him. Memory isn't the problem, it's that as long as we have been following the game we have seen more players than we can keep up with.

Joel Caleb was probably the 1st or 2nd highest rated recruit in the Dominion in 12-15 years. He went to Tech and ended up being a WR at Norfolk State, but he was a top 100 player for the majority of HS career.

Clover Hill also had a LB Holland Fisher who was a special athlete. Fisher had off the field issues derail his career but he had offers from about every school in the country.

Hard to believe that was 11-12 years ago.

Danny, I agree with “too many to remember”. I like to think that our brains start out as an empty 10 gallon bucket. You live long enough, sooner or later that bucket can’t hold anymore.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT