ADVERTISEMENT

Lord Botetourt at Lafayette for Title

The problem that LB ran into last year and this year is they just seem to power run through weak teams and hope that will suffice throughout the playoffs. Then they run into teams that control their running game and look JV at best when they all of the sudden have to throw the ball. Yesterday #4 came off the edge several times untouched thus causing pics from a QB running for his life. They knew that guy was their stud OLB so he should have had a man on him constantly. Lafayette's D was way better than I thought they would be. And LB second half penalties and 4 turnovers lost the game for them
I agree but the big problem that they had this year was losing Kyle Arnholt. They go from having a guy that is practically impossible to defend one-on-one (and you have to defend him one on one because of the way you have to align against their running game) to having absolutely no threat outside. LB has a ton of depth up front, if they lose an OL they have a backup that is going to be 6'3 280 but they don't have that at all at WR. They go from having the best WR in 3A by far to having kids that would struggle to get open or make catches against JV competition.

The problem that LB ran into last year and this year is they just seem to power run through weak teams and hope that will suffice throughout the playoffs. Then they run into teams that control their running game and look JV at best when they all of the sudden have to throw the ball. Yesterday #4 came off the edge several times untouched thus causing pics from a QB running for his life. They knew that guy was their stud OLB so he should have had a man on him constantly. Lafayette's D was way better than I thought they would be. And LB second half penalties and 4 turnovers lost the game for them
4 turnovers and 140 yes in penalties will lose most games

I read that Lafayette was without their top defensive player for the game in Sam Boyer, MLB. Such a shame Arnholt and Boyer couldn't play but injuries are always involved in football

I read that Lafayette was without their top defensive player for the game in Sam Boyer, MLB. Such a shame Arnholt and Boyer couldn't play but injuries are always involved in football
Yes, Boyer top LB out with ACL 2nd Q of Phoebus game. But he was also a starting RB and a key half back option passer. Starting TE was out too , also ACL in Phoebus game. Both Juniors but will not back back in time for this fall. And we also lost a starting lineman. Three starters out late in the season. Yep, injuries are part of the game, sadly.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Congrats to Lafayette. It was a weird short season where every regular season game felt like the playoffs. Cream rose to the top.

LB's problem is they're rarely tested before the POs and they simply do not know how to respond. It's not a scheme thing (mostly), it's the intangibles.

Look, LB runs through the district part of their schedule with little pause, they need to just sack up and start scheduling way over their head for at least half their OOD schedule. One of the first things Harless did was drop Salem, a long-time opponent. Sure, just about every year recently Salem would have beaten LB but you're talking one of, if not the best team in 4A for almost all those years, how well do you think that would have done for LB to line up against a team of that caliber and test their mettle? Lake Taylor is in 3A now and they will play absolutely anyone who asks, give them a call and go to it because the two teams might meet in December again anyway.

I don't think scheduling is 100% of their problem but it's a sizable amount and quite frankly it's easily fixed if you want to run the risk of being a 3 or 4 seed in the POs instead of 1 or 2.

I agree but the big problem that they had this year was losing Kyle Arnholt. They go from having a guy that is practically impossible to defend one-on-one (and you have to defend him one on one because of the way you have to align against their running game) to having absolutely no threat outside. LB has a ton of depth up front, if they lose an OL they have a backup that is going to be 6'3 280 but they don't have that at all at WR. They go from having the best WR in 3A by far to having kids that would struggle to get open or make catches against JV competition.
I just finished watching this game. The QB was defiantly off in this game. Several passes were high and uncatchable.

#4 for Lafayette was completely disrupting the offense. He also scored on the final TD

Reactions: mike salem
They scheduled George Washington, Franklin County, and William Fleming. Those aren't the easiest games to play.

What does LB have coming back for next year. I know they have the one big recruit on the line back for sure.
Appomattox has them on the schedule for next year I know. This will be a great game for the Raiders, I'm sure it will stretch them in many ways and will help prepare them for challenges in the playoffs.

Reactions: oldfool2
I just finished watching this game. The QB was defiantly off in this game. Several passes were high and uncatchable.
Its hard to pass with Mike Green coming off the edge untouched. He accounted for 2 pass interceptions for Lafayette just doing his thing

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT