ADVERTISEMENT

Region 3D Boys Playoffs

Jan 23, 2020
#7 William Byrd (12-12) vs. #10 Magna Vista (7-16)
#8 Hidden Valley (8-14) vs. #9 Pulaski (6-16)
#4 Cavs Spring (14-8) vs. #5 Lord Botetourt (11-11)
#3 Carroll County (21-1) vs. #6 Abingdon (13-11)
#2Northside (21-3) vs. 8/9 Winner
#1 Tunstall (23-1) vs. 7/10 Winner

Was told today that Tunstall had overtaken Northside in powerpoints. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:
I don't understand having 10 teams in a regional.

Why not go with the top 8 seeds?

It almost seems pointless to have those two 'first round' games - especially since 3 of 4 have losing records.

#7 William Byrd (12-12) vs. #10 Magna Vista (7-16)
#8 Hidden Valley (8-14) vs. #9 Pulaski (6-16)
#4 Cavs Spring (14-8) vs. #5 Lord Botetourt (11-11)
#3 Carroll County (21-1) vs. #6 Abingdon (13-11)
#2 Tunstall (23-1) vs. 8/9 Winner
#1 Northside (21-3) vs. 7/10 Winner
Have they posted anywhere the official locations / times / dates?
Thanks!

Trying to keep a spreadsheet with all the regions updated for the site...

I like Tunstall vs Northside for the chip. I do believe those Cave Spring Knights will have a say. Kam Tinsley has played in 3 state semi games and is the leader I’d want this time of year. Jacob Gruse is the Tom Izzo of VA. CS plays the hardest schedule of this bracket and 5-6 of those losses could’ve went either way. Knights have shooters and I wouldn’t be surprised if they win this region.

Reactions: AntGZee
I'm curious to see how this region plays out. If Tunstall did indeed nab the #1 seed, that home court advantage in a potential bout with Northside would be huge...but they also get a worse draw in my humble opinion with Cave Spring in the second round, as opposed to Carroll County (the cavs have had a fantastic season, would just be a little more afraid of Cave), just like Bo said. Any team that well coached is going to be dangerous. Northside has a tremendous amount of talent, and I feel like Tunstall's lack of comp in the Piedmont this year compared to the Vikings could be huge. On the other hand, Tunstall beat Rustburg pretty bad, where Northside lost by four, but as we know, common opponent scores should go out the door in the playoffs.

Give me Northside over Tunstall in the champ right now. Spotswood/Western/Rustburg likely waiting on the other side of the bracket is daunting indeed...I KNOW the Blazers are dying for another shot at Northside, last two seasons have been ended by them, both games by two points.

From the 804 Richmond Virginia metro area, will it be North side and Hopewell again in the championship game like last year or Spotswood and Lake Taylor out of the 757 Norfolk va. Or is Tunstall talented enough to get to VCU and play Lake Taylor or maybe Hopewell or a dark horse in the east like James Monroe or Grafton.

Another thing to note is the semi’s and final will be at VT. Just saying, playing in an arena of that magnitude and not having played in a big arena before has an affect on the game. Coach Gruse talked to me about it when Dan River played Lancaster in 2012 at Salem Civic Center. It’s an adjustment. Cave Spring and Northside have both had the luxury of playing at VCU and Salem Civic Center and that’s a big advantage.

I haven't seen as much basketball this year as last, but I've seen Northside and Tunstall. Northside with Hardy and Harvey will be a tough out. If they get hot they'll take over a game. They are well coached and are good at pressing... BUT, Tunstall has good size and if they can beat the press, play solid defense, and take the game inside, they have a good shot at winning the Region. I saw Spotswood play and they look good for a state run out of C. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

C3 is hands down the best class for basketball in VA. Spotswood reminds me a lot of Northside last year. Cam Pacheco is really good and is the state player of the year if I had to choose. Tunstall is good but a lot like Spotswood, they’ve only played two good teams this year. I’m not a believer in Rustburg, but I was impressed with Tunstall’s showing against Oscar Smith. I believe CS will be a bigger challenge to Tunstall than Northside.

Reactions: pizzzzza
C3 is hands down the best class for basketball in VA. Spotswood reminds me a lot of Northside last year. Cam Pacheco is really good and is the state player of the year if I had to choose. Tunstall is good but a lot like Spotswood, they’ve only played two good teams this year. I’m not a believer in Rustburg, but I was impressed with Tunstall’s showing against Oscar Smith. I believe CS will be a bigger challenge to Tunstall than Northside.
Spotswood will be even better next year. Lose one starter, the rest are juniors, especially with Deane back next year.

#2 Northside’s boys basketball defeats #10 Magna Vista 85-43 in the Region 3D Quarterfinals

They will play #6 Abingdon Friday at 8:00 at Cassell Coliseum with a spot in the state tournament on the line

Lord Botetourt lost a tough battle on the road to Cave Spring to finish the 23-24 season

Final - #4 Cave Spring 60 #5 Lord Botetourt 47

Final. Region 3D boys semifinal.

#1 Tunstall 60 #4 Cave Spring 45.

This game was much closer than the final score indicates.

Trojans improve to 26-1 and will advance to Saturday's 7:30 p.m. championship against the winner of the next game between Abingdon and Northside.

Tunstall advances to its first state tourney since 2004. Will play in tomorrow.

End of the first quarter in the region semifinals, Northside leads Abingdon 23-9

3:52 left in the 3rd.

Region 3D boys semi.

Northside 55, Abingdon 24.

Vikings have scored 16 straight points in a little over two minutes.

Falcon full TO.

Northside defeats Abingdon 77-42 to punch their ticket to the state tournament

Mykell Harvey also scored his 1,000th career point in tonight’s game

Northside defeats Abingdon 77-42 to punch their ticket to the state tournament

Mykell Harvey also scored his 1,000th career point in tonight’s game
How many games are at Va Tech tomorrow?

Congratulations to Tunstall. I was a naysayer but they did what they needed to do to get over the hump.

@AntGZee there will get 4 games tomorrow.

Congratulations to Tunstall. I was a naysayer but they did what they needed to do to get over the hump.

@AntGZee there will get 4 games tomorrow.
What is the line up for tomorrow and will $10 pay for all 4 games. Let me know. I may come up for the whole day.

What is the line up for tomorrow and will $10 pay for all 4 games. Let me know. I may come up for the whole day.
It’ll be $15.
3- 1C Girls Championship
4:30- 3D Girls Championship
6- 1C Boys Championship
7:30- 3D Boys Championship

Reactions: AntGZee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT