ADVERTISEMENT

Louisa @ Staunton River scrimmage !

Louisadad

VaPreps Rookie
Aug 21, 2013
First off Stanton River 1st. Class. The athletic department, Football coaching staff and their fans. After 2 1/2 hour ride we were greeted by the staff immediately placed in the locker room out of the heat . All of her hydration needs were met as this was the trainers priority outstanding job. Now the scrimmage I did not witness one unsportsmanlike act on either team. We walked away from the scrimmage with a list of things we need to improve as well as a list that we did well. At the end of the scrimmage the Goldeneagle booster club Fed both teams hotdogs chips and waters Gatorade and watermelon . We were treated very well thank you Golden Eagles !

Score doesn't mean a whole lot in the first scrimmage of the year, a lot of teams don't even change defensive formations, or run different offensive sets. I am sure most people on here know it is a good opportunity to evaluate talent, see where players fit. I am sure both Louisa and Staunton River are going to be forces in their respective divisions. Louisa will be ready week one when they come north to Arrowhead.

Score doesn't mean a whole lot in the first scrimmage of the year, a lot of teams don't even change defensive formations, or run different offensive sets. I am sure most people on here know it is a good opportunity to evaluate talent, see where players fit. I am sure both Louisa and Staunton River are going to be forces in their respective divisions. Louisa will be ready week one when they come north to Arrowhead.
Well said, but in truth, I think this makes you feel a little better about the Warrior chances on opening night.

I agree Hammy, and I think there are two other factors that come into play that skew the results.

First, virtually all coaches show a little polite decorum by not trying to continually take advantage of the opposing teams obvious weakness.

Secondly, plays are usually called to evaluate talent, rather than win the scrimmage.

Here is an example of both of these factors that would be a little tasteless. Let's say a young offensive line is struggling to protect the QB. And the QB is getting his very first varsity experience. If winning was the goal, you would blitz, blitz, blitz, in a real game. To do that in a scrimmage would be pretty darn classless.

I would say that at the start of the second scrimmage you see a little more intent to move the ball and score, or defensively shut the other team down. But even as that scrimmage wears on, it's more about looking for good execution and evaluating individual players.

Having said this, I enjoy a benefit or simulated game, but if I'm a coach I would opt for a controlled scrimmage.

Well said, but in truth, I think this makes you feel a little better about the Warrior chances on opening night.
Actually not at all, scrimmages don't mean anything. Heck Louisa could have had JV players out there, they could have been trying different formations , anything could be going on. Second string players could be getting a chance to show there stuff. You never know. I just enjoy the games now, would love to see a great competitive game. Last time Louisa came to Arrowhead wasn't a whole lot of defense, but it was exciting game to watch.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I agree Hammy, and I think there are two other factors that come into play that skew the results.

First, virtually all coaches show a little polite decorum by not trying to continually take advantage of the opposing teams obvious weakness.

Secondly, plays are usually called to evaluate talent, rather than win the scrimmage.

Here is an example of both of these factors that would be a little tasteless. Let's say a young offensive line is struggling to protect the QB. And the QB is getting his very first varsity experience. If winning was the goal, you would blitz, blitz, blitz, in a real game. To do that in a scrimmage would be pretty darn classless.

I would say that at the start of the second scrimmage you see a little more intent to move the ball and score, or defensively shut the other team down. But even as that scrimmage wears on, it's more about looking for good execution and evaluating individual players.

Having said this, I enjoy a benefit or simulated game, but if I'm a coach I would opt for a controlled scrimmage.
You are correct, Sherando scrimmaged Mussleman the other day, didn't change out of base defense once all day. These coaches want to evaluate players, not win a scrimmage

A controlled scrimmage is what it's called the 1's come out each team does 8 or 10 plays. Then the 2's come out. No rush on extra points or punts. Wish our lasted more than a hour but the safety of ALL is the priority! As I stated above first class organization. I forgot to mention that the rescue squad/ambulance service was on site as well. Score is not important. The recovery of fumbles or fumbles lost & Pass interceptions thrown and intercepted this is important.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT