ADVERTISEMENT

Louisas punting team

racindan4u

VaPreps Rookie
Oct 16, 2014
lion nation does louisa not punt because of a bad punter or bad coverage or is it a combination. They have got to get that fixed don't you think.

It's neither reason. I think part of it is too much confidence in the offense to convert every 4th down. Coach Patrick also stated in his podcast or a news article after the Ponax game that he has a lot of confidence in this defense to get stops if the offense does not convert. It's easy to say that after the fact, but the truth is he nearly cost us the game and the kids saved him with that final stop. We have a good punter and two good kickers. The soccer one from Spain hit the 47 yard FG against Courtland.

Last edited:
ok I guess we will see this week when orange comes louisa if he does it again. I think its dangerous but hes the coach.

To be honest, we might not have to punt again until the playoffs, now that Noah Robinson is back. The only real weakness of this team is the over-thinking of the head coach. Just keep it simple sometimes, as Coach Fischer used to say. Even he would've punted in those situations against Ponax, and he's known for going for it.

Last edited:
I very often believe there is little reason to punt in HS if your offense is good. It is very difficult to consistently stop that multiple times throughout the course of the game, 10 yards in 4 plays is just not a lot, especially with how well offenses tend to move the ball these days. Also think it's horribly demoralizing for a team when it happens. If you can come out and put a couple 4th down conversions together early in the game you will frustrate those kids on defense for sure.

Mags showed a lot of confidence in the offense his last 5-6 years and would routinely go for it at mid-field and even at Salem's 40 or so a few times and every fan could always see the same thing. If you think your O can do it, don't yield to convention and punt, just go for it. If your punting/snapping/coverage isn't reliable then you're often risking a lot for maybe 10-20 yards of field. You got a kid that'll be punting on Saturdays that's one thing but if not and your offense is quality? Go for it.

If you were in the same position. Could you had made a better call?Fact is Louisa got the win !!!!!
I have heard enough negative things about Louisa on these post tine for someone to start speaking up for them guys.

calm down geesh nobody is bashing any one just asking a question as to why you would go for it on your own 35 yard line at the end of the game. Lousia is my team so back off already.

It's all good big dog. But maybe next time ask the coach and he what he tells you. Don't think anyone one here was in his shoes that night.

one I don't know the coach so I cant ask him. two they do this all the time but not so deep in their own territory and against a top team and three maybe I got the answer I was looking for from the guy I asked the question to. so no need to hear negative comments from you. and Grad I agree on that and against orange I wouldn't be asking this question.

It's all good big dog. But maybe next time ask the coach and he what he tells you. Don't think anyone one here was in his shoes that night.
Racindan is one of the very few Louisa fans on here, we're all on the same team. No need to attack him, it was a legit question and concern.

Reactions: Louisadad
It's neither reason. I think part of it is too much confidence in the offense to convert every 4th down. Coach Patrick also stated in his podcast or a news article after the Ponax game that he has a lot of confidence in this defense to get stops if the offense does not convert. It's easy to say that after the fact, but the truth is he nearly cost us the game and the kids saved him with that final stop. We have a good punter and two good kickers. The soccer one from Spain hit the 47 yard FG against Courtland.
Yeah I remember a few years back Louisa going for it on like 4th and 8 from their own 20 something and getting 9 yards. They did that over and over. Supreme confidence in the offense and defense...I love it. I would love to take punts and field goals out all together!!!

@FoxesPride yeah but that was against KG (and probably not THAT deep in our territory), this was against an outstanding Ponax team that we had only stopped two or three times, and they had momentum at the time, AND they had just stopped the same play before that 4th and 7. This was on our final drive. Even if we punted and it only went 20 yards and was fair caught, that's 20 extra yards Ponax would've had to go with less than 2 minutes left in the game, and we'd probably be looking at another Hail Mary (cue EV joke here) instead of a 4th and goal to win the game. But apparently we love dramatic endings now.

@FoxesPride yeah but that was against KG (and probably not THAT deep in our territory), this was against an outstanding Ponax team that we had only stopped two or three times, and they had momentum at the time, AND they had just stopped the same play before that 4th and 7. This was on our final drive. Even if we punted and it only went 20 yards and was fair caught, that's 20 extra yards Ponax would've had to go with less than 2 minutes left in the game, and we'd probably be looking at another Hail Mary (cue EV joke here) instead of a 4th and goal to win the game. But apparently we love dramatic endings now.
I went back and looked...it was 2015 and Louisa won that game 36-26 at KG. I don't remember exactly where Louisa was but it was inside of their own 30. Crazy, but you got to love it. I would love to play for a coach with that kind of "courage". Fine line between brave and stupid though.

Punt is the scariest play that any coach will ever call. A heck of a lot of things can go wrong and most of them are catastrophic. Bad snap or a block can change the momentum of game faster than anything else. I don't care where you are on the field, if it is less than 2 yards, I like seeing teams go for it. If you can't get two yards, then you probably won't win anyway. Just my two cents.

lol nice one

Punt is the scariest play that any coach will ever call. A heck of a lot of things can go wrong and most of them are catastrophic. Bad snap or a block can change the momentum of game faster than anything else. I don't care where you are on the field, if it is less than 2 yards, I like seeing teams go for it. If you can't get two yards, then you probably won't win anyway. Just my two cents.
you know I might agree if the failed attempt 4th down doesn't leave the other team in automatic field goal range. I will say I really enjoyed the way louisa held them to the attempt and then blocked it......that was a play I wont ever forget.

Reactions: LionNation540
That whole sequence was eye-opening for Louisa, and soul-stealing for Ponax. It couldn't have been scripted better after what happened last year, just gotta finish this time. I'd run through a brick wall with this team.

Reactions: OCBoy
Orange is better than their record they just got worn out early. That aponte kid and the 55 were in the qbs face all night. I think 6 sacks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT