ADVERTISEMENT

LT Squeaks by Phoebus 21-17

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
3 yard TD run with 20 some seconds left in game rescues LT. I don’t see much left on their schedule that is challenging.

Reactions: mike salem
That is a rivalry game on some levels. I am a bit surprised Phoebus almost took that one. Good win for LT and it looks like Phoebus has a good shot at a real deal class 3 title run. Let’s see how Hopewell looks against Dinwiddie in a couple of weeks and we should have a favorite in the east for class 3. I am afraid class 4 will be harder to tell the front runners with numerous undefeated teams standing at 10-0 on the east. I believe 5 will be undefeated on the east without question (Din, LT, Louisa, Laf, EV). There will also be potentially a few one loss teams that lost at the hands of OS, Manchester, or Indian River that could be mentioned in the same breath as the undefeated. Might not be until week 12 until we find out who’s who. I know there are still a couple of undefeated on the west, but if I am not mistaken a lot of them will have head to head battles by seasons end. Can anybody accurately predict the number of teams that may finish 10-0 out west?

That is a rivalry game on some levels. I am a bit surprised Phoebus almost took that one. Good win for LT and it looks like Phoebus has a good shot at a real deal class 3 title run. Let’s see how Hopewell looks against Dinwiddie in a couple of weeks and we should have a favorite in the east for class 3. I am afraid class 4 will be harder to tell the front runners with numerous undefeated teams standing at 10-0 on the east. I believe 5 will be undefeated on the east without question (Din, LT, Louisa, Laf, EV). There will also be potentially a few one loss teams that lost at the hands of OS, Manchester, or Indian River that could be mentioned in the same breath as the undefeated. Might not be until week 12 until we find out who’s who. I know there are still a couple of undefeated on the west, but if I am not mistaken a lot of them will have head to head battles by seasons end. Can anybody accurately predict the number of teams that may finish 10-0 out west?

Deep Creek and Indian River tonight is an interesting game that could tell us a lot. Feel like IR pulls away but it'll definitely be one of the more physical games of the season.

Deep Creek and Indian River tonight is an interesting game that could tell us a lot. Feel like IR pulls away but it'll definitely be one of the more physical games of the season.

Deep creek could end up being a VERY good 7-3 - 6-4 football team

Great, physical battle. Phoebus defensive line with Austin Gilliam, Josiah Silver and company played terrific. Both teams squandered a scoring opportunity before the break that could've made it 21-all instead of 14-apiece.

You could tell pretty early on that the game took on the tone and tenor of a defensive slugfest, similar to some of the grudge matches these two have had in the past.

Lake Taylor dearly missed Javon Harvey - who is their top corner and a go-to weapon in the passing game at receiver, plus is their holder and plays up to 6 positions for Hank Sawyer's Titans. He suffered a concussion against Norview, but is expected to return in October.

Thought it was a gutsy effort and drive at the end by the Titans with their sophomore QB Jeff Foster. Depth - with so many key guys playing both ways - will be a concern for the Titans as they get closer to the playoffs... but this was their 3rd game in 10 days, and to survive their latest test without arguably their most versatile player, I think they'll take it.

On the Phoebus side of things - they should be just fine... though they have a tough one coming up on Tuesday night against Class 6 Woodside (which took them to the wire last year and their only blemish was to Highland Springs). Got a hunch that Phoebus and Hopewell are on a collision course in Region 3A and headed for a re-match of last year's tight playoff battle that the Blue Devils won at Darling Stadium on their way to a state title.

Deep creek could end up being a VERY good 7-3 - 6-4 football team

The schedule for the top 4 teams in the SE district (OS, IR, KF, DC) is tough for each school. Considering Nansemond River is no pushover. They play one of the other 4 in consecutive weeks...

KF:
vs Deep Creek (10/26)
@ Oscar Smith (11/2)

IR:
vs Kings Fork (10/12)
@ Oscar Smith (10/20)

DC:
vs Oscar Smith (10/12)
@ Nansemond River (10/19)
@ Kings Fork (10/26)

@ Nansemond River (10/5)
@ Deep Creek (10/12)
vs Indian River (10/20)

Reactions: mbonape1

Sherando Northwest if they can beat Martinsburg West Virginia and Blacksburg , who has Pulaski left. Blacksburg has beaten 3A Lord Botetourt by 10, a physical team and Salem last week by 3. Blacksburg is a well rounded team. They have some swagger.

Jason Harvey IS a difference maker. I hope he recovers well. Hank Sawyer needs to settle him down though. His chatter on the field will/could cost them in some big games come play-off time.

Jason Harvey IS a difference maker. I hope he recovers well. Hank Sawyer needs to settle him down though. His chatter on the field will/could cost them in some big games come play-off time.
How long is he out? What was the injury?

How long is he out? What was the injury?
Concussion. He's been cleared to return wants to come back next week. Not sure if he'll play their next game (against winless Granby) or if Coach Sawyer will hold him out another week just to be on the safe side. But fortunately it's not as serious as it looked... was taken off on a stretcher after a long delay against Norview.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT