ADVERTISEMENT

Luray 49 Stuarts Draft 0 Final

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
Huge statement win for Luray. They have to now be considered one of the favorites in Region B

That is an absolute shocker. Not necessarily that the Dogs won, but that margin??? Wow!!!
I knew wondered if Draft might not be quite as strong this year when I saw the Draft vs Greenbrier East score earlier in season and Greenbrier East is not very strong. That score was a bit to close

M
I knew wondered if Draft might not be quite as strong this year when I saw the Draft vs Greenbrier East score earlier in season and Greenbrier East is not very strong. That score was a bit to close
My wife and I went to that game. Neither of us were very impressed. Draft is smaller than in previous years. They have decent athletes, but the preparation is lacking. Too many penalties and execution is not crisp. Central-Weedstock, Strasburg, and Luray are the class of the region. I'm really looking forward to the games between these three.

What about Buckingham in Region B? Most of the talk seems about Central, Luray and Strasburg, but Buckingham usually has lot of talent on their team. Can they compete with those big 3?

Reactions: AnyGivenFriday1969
What about Buckingham in Region B? Most of the talk seems about Central, Luray and Strasburg, but Buckingham usually has lot of talent on their team. Can they compete with those big 3?
That's the thing about Bucko, they are hard to gauge until playoffs. I'm expecting them to be more on par with Clark.

Ok Gunz, what’s going on at Draft?

Luray is REALLY good!

I don't see it as much more than that. The sky isn't falling, its SD 1st regular season loss (aside from Riverheads) since 2018.

But Luray has 4 guys in backfield (QB and all 3 backs) who are very impressive, and their line play was exceptional.

Wouldn't have changed the outcome at all, but starting QB and CB was out, backup QB got hurt on Luray 1st series (that player is a key guy on D too). He missed SD 1st offensive series, but then played QB rest of evening (not defense). Dropped a TD in endzone, and missed a few other opportunities. Like I said, wouldn’t have changed the outcome at all.

Without seeing others in person (as I even know what I am looking at as you know, and still don't think you can jusge a team on video nearly as well), I would be surprised if Luray loses in regular season (baring injuries, etc.)

As for the season as a whole, people seem to get caught up with scores much more than me. Whether that means an opinion on the strength or weakness of a team is correct or not is a moot point. Teams match up differently, things happen in a game that aren't explained through a score or box score, etc. And that isn't just for SD, or just for this year.

Luray is REALLY good!

I don't see it as much more than that. The sky isn't falling, its SD 1st regular season loss (aside from Riverheads) since 2018.

But Luray has 4 guys in backfield (QB and all 3 backs) who are very impressive, and their line play was exceptional.

Wouldn't have changed the outcome at all, but starting QB and CB was out, backup QB got hurt on Luray 1st series (that player is a key guy on D too). He missed SD 1st offensive series, but then played QB rest of evening (not defense). Dropped a TD in endzone, and missed a few other opportunities. Like I said, wouldn’t have changed the outcome at all.

Without seeing others in person (as I even know what I am looking at as you know, and still don't think you can jusge a team on video nearly as well), I would be surprised if Luray loses in regular season (baring injuries, etc.)

As for the season as a whole, people seem to get caught up with scores much more than me. Whether that means an opinion on the strength or weakness of a team is correct or not is a moot point. Teams match up differently, things happen in a game that aren't explained through a score or box score, etc. And that isn't just for SD, or just for this year.
Luray runs that old school Power T offense. Very physical upfront

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Luray is REALLY good!

Well explained. Thank you sir.

That's the thing about Bucko, they are hard to gauge until playoffs. I'm expecting them to be more on par with Clark.
Am I going to have to start handing out duct taping tortures? IT'S CLARKE!!!! WITH AN "E"!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
Sally Kohn Grammar GIF by The Opposite of Hate

Luray is basically the same team as last year except they all are bigger and stronger, and a lot of them are seniors. Very physical team. Last year when Gap played them early in the season 10 and 44 both seemed to be playing with injuries. I think a big key for them is keeping those two healthy as they are playmakers on both sides of the ball. They also have atleast three other kids that look pretty fast and run hard for their size.

Without sounding like a hater, Draft has to find their identity on offense. They haven’t thrown it nearly as much as I would have thought considering they have a QB that can sling it but also haven’t diversified all that much in the run game. Losing Nice was huge and would impact any team but the Smith kid will not be able to sustain 25-30 carries a week IMO. Give them time and they will certainly figure it out but I don’t see them having the scoring capability that they had for the past 4 seasons until the younger brother of the QB shows up. That young man is a monster and will definitely we heard from when he joins varsity.

Central is good but I would say their schedule has been weak so far. Luray and Strasburg left in the regular season so we will see what they are made of. Squeaked by Clarke 21-14 where Strasburg hammered them 38-0 so that is certainly concerning. Woodstock does get both of those teams at home this year though, which should help. Central also, no offense to Ram fans, historically owns Strasburg. So I would say Luray is the team to beat in B right now and throw Central, Buckingham and Strasburg in a tier below. We will see on Friday.

Agree about not being as high on Central. William Monroe beat Broadway worse than Central did and Monroe got blasted by Draft. So I would have to have Luray as the favorite in the Region.

Reactions: AnyGivenFriday1969
Central is good but I would say their schedule has been weak so far. Luray and Strasburg left in the regular season so we will see what they are made of. Squeaked by Clarke 21-14 where Strasburg hammered them 38-0 so that is certainly concerning. Woodstock does get both of those teams at home this year though, which should help. Central also, no offense to Ram fans, historically owns Strasburg. So I would say Luray is the team to beat in B right now and throw Central, Buckingham and Strasburg in a tier below. We will see on Friday.
As long as Luray does not self implode like they have in years past with kids getting suspended and having major penalty issues like they have done in years past. I would say they are top 2 in the region. Central has had a lot of slow starts this season. They have overcome them but as the season winds down it looks like the competition is gonna pick up. For Strasburg the Clarke win was a huge win for the kids mentally and the defense has been lights out all year so far. Only 19 points given up and 3 shutouts in a row. They run a similar offense to Luray with a 3-4 headed rushing attack. They throw a little more than Luray does. Then there is the mental block of the last 9-10 years of that Central hump. If they can knock off the Falcons I believe they can challenge for the region. I will say the game I want to see is the Strasburg vs Luray game. 2 hard nose running teams with good defenses that should be a slug fest. A game like that should be a lineman's dream lineup and knock people around. But until someone beats the defending region champ in the regional playoffs they are still the champ. Me personally I would not write off Yew and his young crew of Falcons.

Here we are again pretending that Buckingham is not in region B. I've seen them all play... woodstock and clarke are NOT better than BC. Strasburg and Luray are tough. BC could very well end up as the #2 seed in region B if they win out to finish 9-1. You should start watching some football outside of I-81.

Fair enough...I have not seen Buckingham at all and am strictly talking about who I have seen play. I did see the Strasburg/Buckingham playoff game last year which is also why I think I'm counting them out a bit. Buckingham very well may be the best team in 2B, haven't seen them. Should be a good playoffs no matter what.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT