ADVERTISEMENT

Lynchburg conducted it's own investigation of Torrence

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
Lynchburg City Schools conducted an investigation of Burt Torrence's actions before hiring him. Roanoke Co hasn't concluded their investigation. Burt Torrence is now saying he didn't do anything wrong and hasn't admitted to any wrongdoing. He says he was simply doing what he was told to do.

I realize he's under investigation and he's trying to protect himself, but to me I lost major respect for him. So because someone above him told him he could steal money, that makes it ok? Meanwhile, these same people are stealing from athletic events and using it to pay for transfer's moving expenses. These are just some of the allegations surrounding the corruption of former Northside staff.

Maybe I shouldn't post that here, but his statements really pissed me off. I hope the Roanoke Times holds these people's feet to the fire because it seems as if the RCPS is just trying to sweep everything under the rug. People get to be reassigned, resign, or retire, without being held accountable for their actions.

I hope the Roanoke Co Police Dept will conduct a thorough investigation and the Commonwealth's Attorney will pursue appropriate punishment for proof of wrongdoing.

http://m.roanoke.com/news/local/roa...d0c-d1af-5f0f-98e8-03ffd2f763e3.html?mode=jqm

Last edited:
Reactions: salemfan32
Lynchburg City Schools conducted an investigation of Burt Torrence's actions before hiring him. Roanoke Co hasn't concluded their investigation. Burt Torrence is now saying he didn't do anything wrong and hasn't admitted to any wrongdoing. He says he was simply doing what he was told to do.

I realize he's under investigation and he's trying to protect himself, but to me I lost major respect for him. So because someone above him told him he could steal money, that makes it ok? Meanwhile, these same people are stealing from athletic events and using it to pay for transfer's moving expenses. These are just some of the allegations surrounding the corruption of former Northside staff.

Maybe I shouldn't post that here, but his statements really pissed me off. I hope the Roanoke Times holds these people's feet to the fire because it seems as if the RCPS is just trying to sweep everything under the rug. People get to be reassigned, resign, or retire, without being held accountable for their actions.

I hope the Roanoke Co Sheriff's Dept will conduct a thorough investigation and the DA or prosecutors will pursue appropriate punishment for proof of wrongdoing.

http://m.roanoke.com/news/local/roa...d0c-d1af-5f0f-98e8-03ffd2f763e3.html?mode=jqm
I give due when it's worthy but there is, in my mind, right and wrong. Taking money for something you did not do is wrong. Why is there a question about this?

I don't mind another chance. That's ok. But a lie is never a foundation to build on.

Reactions: mike salem
There is plenty left to play out in this story and should Roanoke County try to sweep things under the rug it will probably create even more problems in the long run. Too many people with stories of what allegedly transpired, the dots will eventually be connected and neither the former principal or coach would be termed sympathetic figures. With lawyers, the Roanoke County police and the State police reportedly involved and a lot of interested third parties around the valley watching it is highly unlikely this thing can "just go away." It is also highly unlikely a new superintendent would willingly cover dirty laundry that began before he was employed and allow it to attach to his tenure. There is the possibility that record keeping could be incomplete and memories "foggy" enough that it makes reaching a complete accurate tally and establishing a legal burden of proof problematic but, that doesn't equate to innocence/exoneration. Whatever Lynchburg City Schools did has probably charitably been termed an "investigation" but, hopefully it will pass for adequate due diligence as they have clearly taken a position out on a limb that poses risks depending upon the outcome of the Roanoke County investigation. One final thing to keep in mind, when this thing got started the Coach opened on the offensive only to have to backtrack in fairly short order. Best just to let the professionals do their job and see what plays out.

Very well said Cutnjump!

Burt has changed his story several times and that is well documented. I am fairly confident that he has "run his mouth" just enough to incriminate himself. Now that Burt has "lawyered up" it will be interesting to see how Roanoke County proceeds.

I just wonder if Lynchburg has all the information or they just do not care. It reflects poorly on all involved.

It's sad to see that a local high school football coach has to have a lawyer for something of this nature but Burt is going to need one before all is said and done. I am sure Frank Dent has one as well.

There is plenty left to play out in this story and should Roanoke County try to sweep things under the rug it will probably create even more problems in the long run. Too many people with stories of what allegedly transpired, the dots will eventually be connected and neither the former principal or coach would be termed sympathetic figures. With lawyers, the Roanoke County police and the State police reportedly involved and a lot of interested third parties around the valley watching it is highly unlikely this thing can "just go away." It is also highly unlikely a new superintendent would willingly cover dirty laundry that began before he was employed and allow it to attach to his tenure. There is the possibility that record keeping could be incomplete and memories "foggy" enough that it makes reaching a complete accurate tally and establishing a legal burden of proof problematic but, that doesn't equate to innocence/exoneration. Whatever Lynchburg City Schools did has probably charitably been termed an "investigation" but, hopefully it will pass for adequate due diligence as they have clearly taken a position out on a limb that poses risks depending upon the outcome of the Roanoke County investigation. One final thing to keep in mind, when this thing got started the Coach opened on the offensive only to have to backtrack in fairly short order. Best just to let the professionals do their job and see what plays out.
I do like this thought process. Let it play out. But you cannot bypass the fact that this man admitted to the school board and publicly acknowledged taking money for a job he did not do. I just don't see how you get around that.

Now that he's taken the new job, which I do not begrudge him, he says the Board just didn't want him anymore. My belief is that, in these cases, you just own up and move on. People will forgive when you're honest. Lie and deny does not fly for me and it will catch him in the end. Worse, it will linger over the Heritage program and distract from what they want to accomplish.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT