ADVERTISEMENT

Mac Mcclung

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
Mac just put up a career high 38 points for Georgetown in their win over Arkansas-Little Rock.

I'm just glad Tech made the right decision by not offering him. "That guy will not start at Georgetown until maybe his senior year." "He's not athletic enough and won't be able to score." "He will see 5 to 10 minutes of playing time his freshmen year." The truth is that he's scoring 12.5 points a game as a freshmen, and he starts, and by seasons end, look for his points to average about 16 per game as a freshmen, and next year as a sophomore, he will be one of the nation's leading scorers. Anyone that knows basketball understands Tech made a major mistake, and it's still a bit early to be realized. After about 10 games into next season, it will be fully apparent.

McClung started the season ice cold, but he got his shots. He has easily showed his ability to create his own shot at the Div 1 level. It was a matter of time until they started to fall, and now they are starting to fall. The kid is going to be a superstar, not a good D1 player, but a superstar and I'm a Tech fan, and I'm telling ya we made a mistake, period. His father played football at VT and he grew up a season ticket holder at VT football games and he attended youth camps (junior high at Tech). He loved VT and would have came without question, so the old "Mac really didn't like VT all that much," excuse is one folks can hold onto as a last resort when it's apparent Tech made a mistake. And yes, Tech made a mistake.

Reactions: CHUKNOW
From what I was told, the coaches told him when he was at one of those camps at Tech as a Sophomore or Junior that he really didnt have the talent or size to play at Tech or the D1 level for that matter. At that point Mac was a diehard Tech fan. At the end of his recruiting process Tech started to have a change of heart about him and was showing interest and trying to come around... but Mac wanted nothing to do with them after the fact.

This was from a pretty reliable source.....but who knows.

Sharkfan, no disrespect to you my friend with this post. I've heard the exact same thing you heard and it is likely true as to that being the story that VT has told, but at the end of the day, Virginia Tech did not offer the kid a scholarship, period. Until his senior year, he would have committed to Tech on the spot if offered. McClung was good enough that VT didn't need to "come around" or "show interest." VT was more than aware of McClung and Gate City and VT staff had more than enough opportunities with a short drive to see GC play without even having to drive to GC.

It's the story Every coaching staff loves to use when they make a MISTAKE. That story is revisionist history in the form of something resembling the following......."the kid just didn't have any interest in us," or...."we warmed up and showed interest, but he just didn't show us much interest." That excuse is old and it's been used for decades when a staff makes a mistake. McClung played 4 years at GC in VTs backyard. VT should have been the very First team to offer. Now, by in large, coaches and staff are experts and they get it right 95 plus percent of the time compared to fans (like me) who wouldn't bat more than 50 percent. But....this is one where about one hundred letters were sent to Tech (I'm sure of that 100 percent), some boosters even kicking and screaming and begging including fans, and Tech chose not to listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Mac McClung just sneezed. Story at 6:00.

Him having the "story for sneezing" at 6 is due in part to him dropping 40 plus points on your boys and my boys. That's why there isn't a story about a Radford or Graham player. When you break the state of Virginia scoring record, you get media attention. When a Graham or Radford player has a guy that breaks the Virginia scoring record, they will also get media attention, and maybe, just maybe, Rockhead University may offer him a scholly, but it's doubtful.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
Never seen the kid play in high school but if Georgetown is on I watch it just watch him play nothing like watching a kid play from small high schools and from va. Just like Kevin Madden not a Tar Heel fan but like watching him play

Reactions: GMAlum
Just a little tired of hearing about what he does in every single game, that is all. I enjoy watching the small town guys have success as well.

All in fun people, lighten up and Happy Holidays!!

This just in: Mac just ate lunch!!. He dunked a donut!!

I would wager that not many Graham fans will get tired of hearing about Cam Allens every move if he has as much early success as McClung.

I would wager that not many Graham fans will get tired of hearing about Cam Allens every move if he has as much early success as McClung.

I watched every game that Ahmad Bradshaw played in in College and Pros. I don't recall a post about every single game he was in, however. I get it, just a little jab about the posts about him seemingly every single day. Having fun folks, that is all. No offense intended.

I was just taking a jab myself. I'm not that uptight about it. I'll be sure to litter the board with Mac Attack material though since everyone cant get enough ;)

Reactions: 19GHS87
I haven't seen the posts about every or all of Macs games at Georgetown. That's because every game isn't commented or posted about. To say each or every game is posted about is hyperbole.

Regardless of whether one enjoys the Mac posts or is tired of them or joking or serious, I am upset at VT. I'm a VT fan and I want VT to win, and I think it's becoming painfully obvious (and it's not even 2019 yet) that Tech made a mistake and the kind of mistake they were told they were making before it occurred. And yes, if Allen has early season success, you can bet your behinds fans will be posting.......and they should. It's called a message board.

Mac has played very well to start the season, but it'll be interesting to see if his totals decrease once conference play starts

I haven't seen the posts about every or all of Macs games at Georgetown. That's because every game isn't commented or posted about. To say each or every game is posted about is hyperbole.

Regardless of whether one enjoys the Mac posts or is tired of them or joking or serious, I am upset at VT. I'm a VT fan and I want VT to win, and I think it's becoming painfully obvious (and it's not even 2019 yet) that Tech made a mistake and the kind of mistake they were told they were making before it occurred. And yes, if Allen has early season success, you can bet your behinds fans will be posting.......and they should. It's called a message board.
Im not talking about just this site. Its all over facebook, twitter, the swva site, the Bristol Paper, etc....

Overkill.

Im not talking about just this site. Its all over facebook, twitter, the swva site, the Bristol Paper, etc....

Overkill.

Oh, ok I gotcha. Those areas like Facebook and Twitter are ones I don't do and I didn't know that about Mac. I thought you were only referring to VaPreps. My bad. If it's to that level with Mac and social media, then I agree man, that's overkill.

Reactions: 19GHS87
Well you fellas wont have to hear about anything to do with Mac for a while......so enjoy it while you can.

I was just sticking to guards since the GC faithful started the thread. Loved watching Moses play...

Ralph might garner a little pub as well...

The best guard to come out of Virginia but play for Georgetown was Allen Iverson. Can’t imagine all the post and media attention he would have gotten in today’s social media world.

If one has to reference Allen Iverson in a conversation about McClung, then that's a pretty good sign for McClung .I lived in VA Beach at the time Iverson was a junior and senior and no social media or internet then, but he got as much newspaper, radio, and local news attention that one could possibly get for that time. His greatness (or ability to be great in the future) was well known and realized even at that time by everyone with sports knowledge in that area. Iverson is the best guard to ever come out of Virginia, but....the case isn't closed yet. McClung is just starting. I don't think McClung will have a career as good as Iversons, but that is still to be determined.

...or JJ Redick or Grant Hill or Alonzo Mourning or Frank Mason or...

I’m glad for McClung but you are making it sound like he is the first player from Virginia to “make it”. And hasn’t “made it” yet.

There are plenty of successful basketball players from the good ol commonwealth. Here’s to hoping McClung has a long successful career. I generally discuss college players in the college forums...just saying...

I was just sticking to guards since the GC faithful started the thread. Loved watching Moses play...

Ralph might garner a little pub as well...

Just to clarify and not to be nitpicky, GC faithful didnt start this thread. Alot of the stuff posted about McClung doesnt spawn from GC fans....this thread for example.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
Just to clarify and not to be nitpicky, GC faithful didnt start this thread. Alot of the stuff posted about McClung doesnt spawn from GC fans....this thread for example.
I stand corrected. But the GC folks sure have piled on. I kind of understand why though.

Actually, minus one poster than I'm not sure about....I think I'm the only GC fan in this particular thread.

What’s DB’s record? They are usually pretty solid from my recollection. Might be a stiff test for the Blue Devils.

DB is 12-2 with losses coming from Trinity in the Arbys and another team out of South Carolina in another tourny. They are the best team in Northeast TN. It should be a really good game.

So let me make sure Im getting all of this. "Mac" was-is good. He has some hi-light reel dunks and VT should have offered.

Got it!
Next....

For someone who dislikes McClung so much, why do you read this?

Never said I disliked the young man. Please dont put words in my mouth. I am just tired of hearing about him 24-7. Dont put a negative spin on some light hearted humor that most of the posters on here understand.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT