ADVERTISEMENT

Madison County head coach.,,

Marshall-Dillon

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Mar 10, 2011
Reva
I keep hearing that Madison has selected the new coach but haven’t heard a name.

Anybody from MC (or elsewhere) have any news?

I really wish Rhodes would have stayed. The younger kids loved him. He’s a hard worker and really seems to care. Good luck wherever you end up Coach!

Does Orange County still have the Pay to Play Policy in place? Was told by an OC staff that they instituted that to cover athletic needs and it was still in place. I'm sure a lot of talent is left out in that area if that is still the case.

I think it is but there are so many waivers and exceptions that only a few actually pay...at least from what a very good source told me during basketball season.

Curious hire.There were 4 coaches in the process had been on undefeated teams and state final four programs the past 3 years. Why hire a coach with 1 year in HS and 1 year at a college as a Grad Asst?

Curious hire.There were 4 coaches in the process had been on undefeated teams and state final four programs the past 3 years. Why hire a coach with 1 year in HS and 1 year at a college as a Grad Asst?
Maybe it was because of teaching spots. Sometimes it comes down to who best fits from 8:00 to 3:00. Not saying this was the case, but teaching spots are always a consideration at a small school that doesn't have a lot of teacher turnover.

The weightroom is terrible, its hard to get teachers who coach, there are no weightlifting classes like there was in the Dean years. There seems to be a disconnect with administration and athletics. Plus only 2 coaches returning.

The weightroom is terrible, its hard to get teachers who coach, there are no weightlifting classes like there was in the Dean years. There seems to be a disconnect with administration and athletics. Plus only 2 coaches returning.
How do you know only 2 coaches are returning? If the position is still open, who knows who is returning or not? Many of the players are reportedly working out at the gym across the road from the HS. I think that is a great sign that they are working out on their own. I thought the Dean workout was in the hayfield

That's where you would be mistaken we had a fantastic weight room right behind the gym we have weightlifting classes 4 periods out of 7 a day. Plus we had an after-school program the with specific sheets all computerized we had an entire wall dedicated to who had the highest lifts. And very simple I ask the athletic director how many coaches are returning he said there are two and one might be leaving for an administrative job. All the boys back in the day baled Hay split wood but we loved the weight room. The issue is with Administration you have to want to help your coaches there is no magic Playbook. If you want to win you need Outlets to get your athletes and stronger when they played multiple Sports just have a facility to accommodate that otherwise you fail. Enlisting at the local gym is not the same as lifting with your team that's garbage.

Working out at a gym is garbage? Especially if you don’t have other options? Cmon man!

I asked Mr. Sacra at a softball game who was returning etc and he said it would be up to the coaches and no one had to make a decision until the HC was announced.

Last edited:
Have you seen any gyms that allow a power cleans or multi joint multi plane athletic movement? Its all machines. Great for the casual lifter not for athletes

Reactions: bulldog1150
Seen a lot of gyms that allow such lifts. Gold's Gym/Body Renew/One Life gym as I'm a member of one of those but have worked out in all. Unless you are talking about a Planet Fitness/Anytime Fitness as they don't carry power racks etc. . I really don't classify those as "athletic prep gyms" but to each their own. However, if that is all you got ..........that's all you got.

1Truth...You obviously haven’t visited the two gyms in Madison. Yes both have a few machines but majority are free weights. You seem to have such a negative attitude. You applied but didn’t get the job? Maybe, with your vast knowledge of kinetics and lifting prowess you can be part of the solution instead of a part of the problem. Me, I’m a body weight routine kind of guy. But I see football, baseball, basketball, soccer and softball players working out with the free weights all the time....and flipping tractor tires and sledgehammer workouts and bench and deadlift and squats and cleans and all sorts of stuff I can’t do.

Reactions: BullRunFootball
I would not have a problem working for Madison County schools but I have a mortgage payment and quite honestly the pay scale versus where I'm at doesn't add up to proper math for my family

I wish the best for the new coach. But looks like he is already behind the 8 ball. Heard he is keeping his teaching job in Orange but coaching Madison? IMHO, the new HC needs to be in the school working to generate interest. Uphill battle if this is true. Why not just hire the OC who was already in the system? I doubt Madison makes any strides back to glory with this situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT