ADVERTISEMENT

Magna Vista vs Lafayette...because someone asked

one man

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
First off, want to congratulate both teams for making it this far. I don't have a horse in the race. I haven't seen either team live this season. This is solely my opinion from what I gather via film, newspaper and word of mouth from other people that I feel know the game. Now on to the analysis.

When Lafayette has the ball:
Wing-T/Double Wing/Flexbone vs 3-4/3-5-3(I'm guessing here, though it's based on what MV did last year against Liberty-Bedford, who also is run based team with 3 RBs behind the QB, in Lafayettes case, 1 FB and 2 Wing Backs, but you guys get the gist I hope). Will be interesting to see if Magna Vista can contain the plethora of wing backs that the Rams have at their disposal. MV hasn't seen a team like Lafayette this year as far as how they operate. Lafayette will likely be the most physical team MV will have played as well. Lafayette isn't quite as lethal at the skill spots as GW-Danville but not quite far behind and for what they do, they are elite. Pernell, Graham, Kraegenbrink, Douglass are all good backs with the ball in their hands and very important here, they all know how to block when they aren't getting the ball. Pernell appears to be the game breaker. He and Hairston wear the same #2 jersey and they have comparable size, quickness and agility, essentially the same type player for both teams. Not having McGinty full strength will hurt Lafayette a little bit as the backup Chase Pine occasionally plays some TE/WR so if Pine ends up having to play QB full time, it takes a weapon through the air away as Pine is a big athletic kid who would present linebackers problems in coverage and he can surely get behind the secondary on playaction. Pine is very capable at QB though, not much dropoff between he and McGinty that I can tell, probably just experience. McGinty if he does play is a very good QB, can run as well as throw. He's big kid as well, falls forward after contact most times. Magna Vista will have their hands full for sure trying to stop the Ram offense. As has been the case the past couple weeks, they don't have to shut the opponent down, just need timely stops and a turnover or two. For MV defensively, they aren't very big. The key for MV will be the play of their LBs, Cam Page, Keon Taylor, Raquan Witcher. Witcher at 6'2 205 is the biggest so getting swallowed up by a physical Ram OL is what they don't want to do. They've got to use their quickness and athleticism to fill holes quickly and gang tackle. Tra Redd at safety covers a lot of ground through the air and he brings his feet in run support, he's the standout on that defense, he'll have to be on his A-game as far as his one on one tackling, I'd bet he'll be the last line of defense more than a few times come saturday. I'd give the advantage here to the Lafayette offense. MV is going to have to force a turnover at some point or get a few big stops if they are going to have a chance.

When Magna Vista has the ball:
Spread vs multiple D. I've seen Lafayette run a 3-4 look as well as a 4-3. They may have something different this week as MV is always 4 WR. Magna Vista has the best group of WRs in all of 3A with Gravely, Penn, Ramey and Clark. Gravely and Ramey are the trees at 6'4, Penn is a bit shorter at 6'1 but he's very smooth WR, Clark is about 5'7 and he's quick short burst guy, very strong lower body though, runs low, hard guy to tackle in space. Lafayette has a 6'4 corner so It'll be very interesting to see if MV throws jumpballs to his side. McGuire looks to be getting close to 100% and Hairston as I said earlier is a mirror image of Pernell, very good change of direction and balance. Lafayette has 6 shutouts, a 3, 6, 7 and 8 in 14 games. Allowed double digits only three times this year and that's likely because the starting defense was watching the JV in the 4th quarter of a few of those games. They are physical up front, Thompson and Pine standout to me up front as far as their length and athleticism. They are good at extending their arms and shedding blocks, will be critical for stopping Hairston on the read option. Lafayette hasn't played a group quite as talented across the board on offense as Magna Vista but their points allowed speaks for itself, they are an elite defense. I posted earlier that I thought MV would win 34-27 and Lafayette doesn't think anyone can score 34 on that defense. I made my prediction because I think the the battle Lafayette will have trying to score on offense will wear down their players that play both ways. If Pine has to play QB and DE, he's going to be more winded than usual. If Magna Vista can move the ball consistently the Ram defense will be on the field more than they have all season, couple that with a few guys going both ways and they could wear down and potentially give up more points than they have all season. With these two units, I'm going to go "push." Key stat to keep an eye on here is 3rd down. Can MV keep drives going and can Lafayette get off the field quickly.

Contrasting styles in this one. Physical smashmouth vs Athletic Spread. Plenty of athletes on both sides though. Slight edge in athletes to MV. Edge in the trenches goes to Lafayette. I'd keep an eye on 3rd downs and turnovers. Those two stat lines will determine the winner. If one wins each, it could come down to special teams making plays, a return or a punt block could be the difference. I think it'll be decided by a touchdown. I'm sticking with my prediction, 34-27 Warriors. Wouldn't be suprised at all if Lafayette wins though. Wouldn't call it an upset. These teams are very evenly matched IMO, could go to OT. Good Luck to both teams and may the best team win.

Great write- up. With McGinty out Pine will need to go both ways and is a new problem along with missing McGinty's 3 year starting experience and starting on defense also. Need to replace that also. All of this may be an unanticipated issue on Saturday. I am sure they will be other changes too. I haven't heard but I also assume that he will not play defense also and is totally out.

Great write-up but with the Lafayette QB out, this definitely puts the favorite tag on MV.

Can't believe there were folks out ther that thought a broken wrist QB could play and throw. I'm no Doctor but have never seen that before. Guess I still won't.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a basketball score in this one. I've said before that MV can score with the best of them and looking at it, Lafayette's defense is very very good. The Rams can also put up points and I don't think the back-up Pine is going to be ANY drop off, THAT KID IS A BALLA! I'm taking Shoalin, Jacq, George, and Ro and the prolific offense of the MV Warriors in a classic 50-49.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT