ADVERTISEMENT

Manchester vs Monacan

mbonape1

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2015
Manchester beats Monacan 36-35 in a thriller. Monacan was ahead the entire game until the last score. Several questionable unsportmanlike penalties and pass interference calls kept manchester drives alive and really hurt Monacan. A giant turnover on a backwards pass that was dropped didn't help either. Monacan had an 11 point lead with 7 minutes left after scoring on a 40yrd td pass. Monacan does a pouch kick instead of kicking it deep and they return it to our 30 yrd line and score a few plays later. Bad break considering our kicker can put it in the endzone. A few times Monacan went for it on 4th and long on our own side of the field and didn't convert. Too risky for my taste with a lead. Coach Henderson is a gambler though and I wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the state. Manchester's qb is the real deal and will no doubt be a D1 qb in 2 years. Much of manchester talent will be back next year and they are going to be a force. Both teams run no huddle and can score from anywhere and in a hurry. With all the drama, monacan still had the ball leading by 5 with 4 minutes on the clock. We direct snapped to our horse DeAndre Williams and they stuffed us 2x and were unable to get 4 yards in 2 plays. Forcing a punt with a high snap and an aweful punt putting Manchester in position with 3 minutes left to take the lead. 4th and 14 and manchester gets a pass interferance call... 15 yrd walk off and a first down. Eventually score with very little time on the clock.. Syour Fludd starts on 14 yrd line with 40 or so seconds left. A few well places screens with daylight are interupted by amazing shoe string tackles by manchester defenders. Huge win for Man. Devestating loss for Monacan. Both teams embrace for prayer midfield after game after a hard fought battle. Certainly having earned each other respect. Good luck to the Lancers in 6a playoffs as I expect them to do well. For Monacan, on to the 4A playoffs for a Rd game. Awesome high school football game. Dissapointed with the loss but heads are still high in chief country. This one slipped away but in the 4A playoffs the Chiefs are going to be a tough out and poised to make a run

I listened on the radio and had to think Monacan's weakness was not being able to eat up clock with a lead. I don't think the Chiefs will run into a team like Manchester in the playoffs, though there are still some very good teams, just none quite built like the Lancers. I definitely wouldn't write Monacan off. Could make a deep run into the playoffs.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
I listened on the radio and had to think Monacan's weakness was not being able to eat up clock with a lead. I don't think the Chiefs will run into a team like Manchester in the playoffs, though there are still some very good teams, just none quite built like the Lancers. I definitely wouldn't write Monacan off. Could make a deep run into the playoffs.

You are right about that... unfortunately chewing clock isn't really in Monacan's DNA or Manchester's for that matter. Between Fludd & Clarke there were nearly 100 pass attempts last night! Both teams were stopping each other with big sacks and forcing punts. Neither team could really run the ball against the other with any consistency. But if you didn't get a sack then it was basically a scoring drive for both teams. Monacan was trying to burn some clock but they probably would have been better off just running there regular offense trying to score again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT