ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsville and Dan River 2016?

Martinsville lost a good amount of players to graduation.

Dan River lost three to graduation, but also lost two players to transfer (Rodney Womble to GW, Shamar Parker (who came up for playoffs for DR) went to Westover Christian and is playing for former GW coach/principal Chris Carter. and one potental varsity player transferred to Hargrave. Despite this, the Wildcats will still be athletic with several of their football players are also key basketball players.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Martinsville graduated 3 of their top 7 players. They have 3-4 up from a jv team that has lost only 4-5 games over the last 2 years. Also they have a transfer from out of state, about 6'2 or 6'3 who should fit in nicely. Can't replace Holland's size though. Overall they will be quicker, might see more old Dogs bball this year, pressure D and running the fast break.

Martinsville lost a good amount of players to graduation.

MHS did graduate 8 from their roster, but as hrspasture1 stated (and with all due respect to the other 5 kids) only 3 played a lot of minutes.

Womble is a pretty big loss for DR. As if GW needed more talent!! Wonder why the kids are leaving like that?

Lastly, Coach Carter was my gym teacher in the 5th grade way back when he worked in the Martinsville system. I'm not sure I knew he was at Westover.

Wasn't Coach Carter also a police officer in Martinsville at one time Mayberryite? He is a very good person, a great role model for kids.

Reactions: pawfan
Both teams will be very quick and athletic but neither will be as big as they have been which their size was a main contributor to their state title runs. I see both schools having decent basketball clubs this year but I don't see another state title contention between the two.

First games are usually around the first week in December.

Who else should we expect to see in the preseason top 10? Gate City, Graham, R.E. Lee, Madison County?

I see Martinsville making another run. All teams state wide lose players. I think with what Martinsville has, they still have a good chance. Who in 2A has a chance at to dethrone them? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:
GC will be good....but young and still no true post player for them, which I feel will come back to bite them yet again if they make it into the post season. The upcoming freshman that's gonna be on the team, Bradley Dean, is already getting national buzz as he played in the NYBL this summer and turned some heads. He's a 6'3" PG that has good handle and a great jump shot...just needs some added strength which will come with age im sure. He can shoot the ball as soon as he steps across half court. Dean will be a huge help to this young GC team, along with the other 5-6 players that will be brought up from the JV squad. But with GC playing a bunch of teams out of TN and playing in the Arbys classic, they will take their beatings this year no doubt. Losing Barnes and Qualls will hurt, but its losing Barnes size and leadership that will hurt the most. I actually think GCs offense will be as good or better this year than it was last year though.

I think Graham, Union, and Richlands along with GC out of far southwest VA will all be solid teams come post season time. Richlands had a bunch of 6'"3 - 6'5" guards that could shoot the ball extremely well and showed that last year. Cant remember 100% for sure but think all of those guys were juniors last season and will all be returning plus another player or two that will be brought up. Graham is tough and that doesn't seem to ever change....just a real scrappy bunch. Not sure what all Union will have....but what I do know is that James Mitchell for them is a D1 athlete in football and can gorilla slam the ball every time he touches it when he's on the hardwoods. Have no clue what else he has around him though... just hearing they will be solid. They graduated 2 players who were real productive against GC last year....that's all i know.

Fully expect MHS and DR to be very good teams as well. Too much talent there between those two teams for one of them to not make a run at the 2A title.

Is there a team from the East this year that everyone needs to look out for? Or maybe a surprise team from the East or West that no ones talking about?

[ The upcoming freshman that's gonna be on the team, Bradley Dean, is already getting national buzz as he played in the NYBL this summer and turned some heads.

Do you mean the EYBL? Which team does he play for?

The article I was reading I'm pretty sure said it was NYBL (National Youth Basketball League) and he played for Team Xplosion out of Tennessee. Out of all the teams nationally that competed in the tournament I think I read that he made 5th Team which I thought was impressive. The EYBL is another circuit that from what I read is headed by Nike and might be a much bigger event in comparison.....I honestly couldn't tell ya as I had never heard of the NYBL or EYBL either one until I seen the small write up on Dean.

AntGZee, you must have missed Leefan's post when he declared RE Lee - Staunton a "lock" for the state title way back in the middle of football season. I love optimism!

I didn't see Leefan's post. I think he should pump his breaks. That school located at the bottom of Va, will have plenty to say about whom the champion will be. I look forward to the Leeman and Bulldawgs playing in January.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT