ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsville doesn't seem THAT bad

Nov 10, 2014
I'm a long time reader and Giles supporter.

After reading the competition Martinsville has played this year, they really shouldn't be overlooked. I know Giles is heavily favored, but honestly, if they played Martinsville's schedule, they might be 6-4 right now. Giles won't be the best team Martinsville has seen. In fact, they may be a middle of the road team considering the quality competition they have faced.

Martinsville has probably played the toughest schedule of any 2A team in state, but I don't think they have good enough offense to stay with Giles.

Def have played toughest schedule, guess we shall see. I agree, Giles is not best team they have seen this year.

Martinsville is suffering from a numbers problem. They've always got the athletes, just very little depth. Coach Martin has pumped some new energy into things, but there is a ways to go. One good thing for the Dogs is that there are only maybe 5 seniors on the roster that play any meaningful minutes.

I agree with you 87....The Giles team I watched walk on the field friday night was as focused a Giles team as I have ever seen walking through the gate....they looked angry....and the kids/students wanting to slap their hands as they walked through got nothing, these players didn't blink they were wanting one thing Friday night and they got it.

If they can be this focused every game from here out they will be just fine....I think they coaching staff has done a great job having these kids ready every game....Galax game I don't know what happened in the first half(overconfident or what) but the staff did something at halftime and they came out ready to play in 2nd half....we escaped that game and as i told people at halftime "if we get out of here with a win tonight this could be the best thing to ever happen to us".....well so far it has....the rest is yet to be seen

It's playoff football, one loss and you are done.....let's get it on friday night!

87Spartan. You and a few more have talked about Taking Galax lightly and being flat. Galax was with in one score 2 years in a row and have probably best coach in 1A and maybe 2A. Galax maybe or not that good but they sure have made some people notice. Sometimes good teams can make people look flat. Not always but just giving 2 cents worth. Go Spartans,Tide, Bobcats,Cougers and all other NRV schools Lets roll!!!

I don't think Giles will have a problem Friday night....but next week is a different monster...either Appomattox (who gave us a very tough game last year) or Lee (who could easily be 10-0...Gate City got em by one and they beat Union but a terrible call on the last play of the game gave Union the win.....youtube that play).....truth is the second round is when these playoffs truly start for the top teams....Giles needs to stay focused...have had it easier than expected against Radford and Glenvar....hyped games that weren't as tough as expected...get ready because there are tests to come starting in week two....GO GILES

Mavahi will play hard and they won't quit, but they only dress 22 players and they wear down quickly. They have played a very demanding schedule this year, but with that being said come Friday they just might be going bear hunting with a switch. Martinsville is a bball school, they had over 50 kids come out today for jv and varsity(not counting the kids on the football team who play) and until they can get some of those kids to come out and play football, the program will never get over the hump. Still have some good athletes, just not enough of them. Will have trouble with the wing, see almost all spread down this way.

The only teams I've seen that Martinsville has played that is on a similar level to Giles is Magna Vista and George Washington in my opinion. I believe there other opponents Giles could beat very handily. Just my opinion

Wow. Giles would beat (8-2) William Fleming "handily"?? They'd beat the same Cave Spring that just took 3A West's top seed HV to the limit "handily"?? Giles is a fine program, but let's not get too carried away here.

Originally posted by Mayberryite:
Wow. Giles would beat (8-2) William Fleming "handily"?? They'd beat the same Cave Spring that just took 3A West's top seed HV to the limit "handily"?? Giles is a fine program, but let's not get too carried away here.
lol Giles destroyed my team B-burg, who beat Cave Spring and beat Hidden Valley everywhere but the scoreboard. Also Giles dominated Hidden Valley in a preseason scrimmage. But that all means nothing the game is played on the field not on paper. GO BIG RED Shout out to Coach Martin of Martinsville Hokie Nation wishes you the best .

MV was that bad. Obvious they were 1-9 for a reason. HV got smoked by the 16 seed but heard the injury bug bit them. Staying healthy is big in the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT