ADVERTISEMENT

Busy Tuesday for Shenandoah Teams...All Seven Have Games Tonight

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Actually Buffalo Gap and Waynesboro got the week started last night with a game at Waynesboro. I think it was a make-up date. The Bison won that one 36-34. Those two, along with Riverheads, are battling for the 5-7 slots in the district standings and I guess that win at least temporarily gives the Bison a leg up. But I think they will meet again, plus each still has a game against the Gladiators. So those three could still finish in just about any order.

Tonight we have three district matches and the seventh team, Staunton, has a non-district game. Here is the line-up.

STUARTS DRAFT AT BUFFALO GAP: I doubt if the fact that the Bison just played last night will have any impact on this game one way or another. The Cougars are on a long winning streak and also on a collision course for two late-season match-ups with Staunton, not to mention games remaining with Wilson and Fort Defiance. I don't see them as running the table and in fact they could lose two or three of their remaining games. However, tonight will not be an obstacle. The Bison might put up a bit of an early fight, but SD will prevail by anywhere from 15-20.

FORT DEFIANCE AT RIVERHEADS: When these two played the first time at the Fort the game featured about a 40 point turnaround. Riverheads led 32-20 after just one quarter and stretched that lead out to 17 midway through the second. But all of a sudden the Indians caught fire, they stepped up the defense, and for the rest of the game, they jacked up (and usually hit) some three-pointers from impossible distances. They could do no wrong in the second half and rolled to a 108-82 win. This time Riverheads will know what to expect and the game should be closer. Will they be able to keep pace and actually win it? Sure would be nice because the Big Red needs a win badly. One thing is for sure.....it won't be boring!

WILSON AT WAYNESBORO: No reason to expect a surprise here. The Hornets won by 30 something the first time around and most likely will again. They are too big and too deep for Waynesboro to have any kind of a shot in this one.

STAUNTON AT BROADWAY: These two non-district foes have already met in Staunton with Broadway taking about a 7 point win. That surprised me at the time but now that I have seen Staunton in person, I have kind of a different perspective on them. They are definitely a super-quick team that is both athletic and deep, but they do lack the big man in the middle. I don't know much about Broadway but if they do in fact have some size, maybe that is how they got the job done the first time. Teams do sometimes swap road victories so it will not be a huge surprise if Staunton evens the score in this one, but based on that first result, I guess the smart money is to go with the Gobblers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT