ADVERTISEMENT

Mascot Names

ClarkeFan83

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 6, 2015
Berryville, VA
What are some school mascot names that you feel are under served? For instance, River Rats....Great Northern Horned Owls...Argentina Spitting Green Frogs, Wombats, Edith Bunker Dingbats, and Tarantulas have all been thrown out there. Any others?

Reactions: gwb16
Sharks: They are the apex predator of their habitat. Probably not a good mascot up here in the Valley, but I'm surprised it isn't used in the coastal areas. Ocean Lakes chose Dolphins. Really?

Last edited:
I am a fan of Banana Slugs. Has very little to do with Central Va but is unique and not run of the mill. Honorable mention the Red Storm (St. John’s) or Explorers

I like mascots where you are one if not the only team having them....high school ranks I like Fluvanna (Flying Flucos) Handley (Judges), this may be hated but I like Marion (Hurricanes, even though the U has it) and Richlands (Blue Tornado) points also to the Brookville Bees (you get points for Bees but yellow jackets and hornets is a no from me)..too many people went status quo with mascots....for example look at the JRD and how many schools have a mascot that can be a “guy on a horse”. Buckingham Knights, Bluestone Barons (points for alliteration), Randolph Henry Statesmen, Amelia Raiders, Cumberland Dukes, Central Chargers....that’s 2/3 of the district....

I read an article once about the George Wythe Maroons and how that very interesting mascot came to be. It is more local lore than fact, as no one can give a definitive answer as to why it was chosen (even those who drew it). I like the Green Wave as well. I still hold out that one of these combined schools will become the Fighting Wampus Cats!

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
I like mascots where you are one if not the only team having them....high school ranks I like Fluvanna (Flying Flucos) Handley (Judges), this may be hated but I like Marion (Hurricanes, even though the U has it) and Richlands (Blue Tornado) points also to the Brookville Bees (you get points for Bees but yellow jackets and hornets is a no from me)..too many people went status quo with mascots....for example look at the JRD and how many schools have a mascot that can be a “guy on a horse”. Buckingham Knights, Bluestone Barons (points for alliteration), Randolph Henry Statesmen, Amelia Raiders, Cumberland Dukes, Central Chargers....that’s 2/3 of the district....

I think Fluvanna is now just the Flucos. Which actually stands for the Flu in Fluvanna and the Co for County. They used to be the Flying Flucos with a shoe with wings as their logo, but have since gone away from that as far as I know.

Let me reach out a little bit and say that the Campbell University Fighting Camels is pretty rare. Now can you imagine a picture of the camel from old cigarette packages with a helmet charging down the field or even a pair of boxing gloves a trunks. Not a great visual but the perception of camels fighting is not common.
VMI Keydets not like the Army Cadets a twist on the original.

Old Andover High in Maryland were known as the Archers. I dont know why but I think that may be my favorite school nickname.

My favorites in Virginia are the Flying Flucos, the Phantoms, the Justices, the Pointers, the Ponies, the Drifters, the Islanders. All pretty unique. Rapids, Blue Streaks, Little Giants, Pride are also good.

A favorite from out of state is the Marblehead Magicians (they got the nickname when they had a coach who was fond of trick plays). There's also a team out west nicknamed the Prisoners (school was damaged, and they actually held classes in an old prison for a while).

Saltville High School (now closed) was the Shakers.

I have always wondered how Bassett High School didn't go with the Hounds.

I would love for Graham to be the Crackers and to have a picture of nerdy white guy on their helmet.

My favorites in Virginia are the Flying Flucos, the Phantoms, the Justices, the Pointers, the Ponies, the Drifters, the Islanders. All pretty unique. Rapids, Blue Streaks, Little Giants, Pride are also good.

A favorite from out of state is the Marblehead Magicians (they got the nickname when they had a coach who was fond of trick plays). There's also a team out west nicknamed the Prisoners (school was damaged, and they actually held classes in an old prison for a while).

Saltville High School (now closed) was the Shakers.

I have always wondered how Bassett High School didn't go with the Hounds.

I would love for Graham to be the Crackers and to have a picture of nerdy white guy on their helmet.

How about one of the Friends Schools out there being named the Quakers and having the Quaker Oat Meal guy on the side of the helmet?

Long Beach State Dirtbags has long been my favorite...even though “Dirtbags” should be a good ol southern team name...Clemson Dirtbags or such

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
What are some school mascot names that you feel are under served? For instance, River Rats....Great Northern Horned Owls...Argentina Spitting Green Frogs, Wombats, Edith Bunker Dingbats, and Tarantulas have all been thrown out there. Any others?
I see what you did here...

What about the Screaming Trees? Band name, yes. But I dunno, maybe it could fly as a mascot somewhere. I mean Stanford has that big bumbling stumbling redwood tree and all.

What a great post. This one is interesting. Fluvanna Flucos? Thanks for the one that answered what FLUCOS stood for. That was going to be my question.

Campbell U Fighting Camels? Really? There arent even any camels in US.

Being that I am from Central VA and there is so much hunting in VA...Im just had the convo with a friend. I told them my mascot would be The Hounds (or Houndz, Hound Dawgs, Hound Dogs, etc.). Im surprised that has not been used, I would have a hound dog on field every time we played.

What about the Screaming Trees? Band name, yes. But I dunno, maybe it could fly as a mascot somewhere. I mean Stanford has that big bumbling stumbling redwood tree and all.
Stanford University is my absolute FAVORITE college marching band because they don't take themselves seriously. As far as serious bands, I gotta go with Ohio State, Alabama, and Grambling.

What a great post. This one is interesting. Fluvanna Flucos? Thanks for the one that answered what FLUCOS stood for. That was going to be my question.

Campbell U Fighting Camels? Really? There arent even any camels in US.

Au contraire my friend. We have a couple camels out here in my neck of the woods at Wilson's Wild Animal Petting Zoo in Frederick County, VA!!

Reactions: gwb16 and Gunz41
My current WV favorite is the Man Hillbillies. Schools that are gone that had good nicknames include the Marlinton Copperheads, Rainelle Rangers, Gary Coal Diggers, Gauley Bridge Travellers ( Robert E. Lee's horse was named Traveller), and the Smoot Smokies, although that school was too small for football.

My current WV favorite is the Man Hillbillies. Schools that are gone that had good nicknames include the Marlinton Copperheads, Rainelle Rangers, Gary Coal Diggers, Gauley Bridge Travellers ( Robert E. Lee's horse was named Traveller), and the Smoot Smokies, although that school was too small for football.

The team that lost to Bluefield last year in WV’s AA state championship game is the Fairmont Senior Polar Bears

Scarlet Hurricanes here in Marion.

My two favorites from places I've lived are the Ketchikan King Salmon in Alaska and the Bagdad Sultans in Arizona.

Foxes...King George apparently adopted it after hearing fans chanting "KG" or put another way "cagey" ... like a fox. Not many fox mascots out there.

St. John's Military School in Kansas are the Muleskinners.
Webb HS in Tennessee are the Feet.
Alabama School for the Deaf are the Silent Warriors.
I think the HS in Gastonia, NC should be the Silent But Deadlies.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT