ADVERTISEMENT

Maury’s Schedule

Phoebus Fan

VaPreps All Region
Jul 12, 2003
Easily one of the hardest schedule I’ve ever seen from a VHSL public school. Major respect to Dyrii and his staff for putting this together. They will be beyond battle tested. Start with a benefit game (scrimmage) against Phoebus, then go on road to Maryland to play a team that went 11-2 last year, at home against Highland Springs, then agreed to go where no one wants to play Dinwiddie (and that’s said with the upmost respect), and finish that 5 game stretch with their rival Lake Taylor.

How do people see Maury surviving that 4 game stretch? Remember the Phoebus game won’t count.

Realistically they will probably go 2-2. No idea who they beat or lose to in that group. With this being such a tough schedule, if the games play out by 1 possession win or lose that means Maury will definitely be right back in position for a title.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Realistically they will probably go 2-2. No idea who they beat or lose to in that group. With this being such a tough schedule, if the games play out by 1 possession win or lose that means Maury will definitely be right back in position for a title.
Who would be the 2 to beat them in your opinion? Also, idk if you know but Maury got an all star team this year with multiple FBS level transfers including a 5 star DE plus the talent they already had. Maury on paper might be the best team in the state this year but the games have to be played.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Awww gotcha. I knew they were losing some big pieces. . Didn't realize they had some transfers coming in. I don't know anything about the DC team but I would say they lose to HSHS and Dinwiddie. They obviously probably will go all in for the HSHS win because of recent history. Dinwiddie's play style is extremely tough early in the season. I'm just excited we're getting premier matchups like this. Love it when teams aren't scared to challenge themselves.

I'll be honest at worst 3-1 but looking at the talent especially on defense this is definitely gonna be a hard team to score on like multiple all state players at all 3 levels and offense just as talented so imma say they go 4-0. Especially if they go 3-0 in those first three games they are definitely running the table.

What a great schedule for HS fans and Maury. I look forward to seeing how my Generals do against Maury; however, other than Dinwiddie having home field advantage I would have Maury as slight favorite on paper. By the time the Commodores come to Dinwiddie our Generals should have the early season inexperience sorted out and this should be a great game. Win or lose it will help both teams. Even though its a benefit game I see Phoebus defense giving Maury fits. I have Highland Springs beating Maury. I have no clue about the Maryland team, but I will be rooting for the Commodores. @GoBlue2109 I totally agree with you about the good teams butting heads. Got to give props to the coaches who believe in their team enough to play anyone. A lot of teams hide and bomb out come playoff time.

Reactions: Agibbs757
Who would be the 2 to beat them in your opinion? Also, idk if you know but Maury got an all star team this year with multiple FBS level transfers including a 5 star DE plus the talent they already had. Maury on paper might be the best team in the state this year but the games have to be played.
Somehow you have looked past HSHS, who also, has several D-1 players this year as well. These games can go either way but I possibly say Maury 2 losses may be Dinwiddie and HSHS with what they both have returning.

I'll be honest at worst 3-1 but looking at the talent especially on defense this is definitely gonna be a hard team to score on like multiple all state players at all 3 levels and offense just as talented so imma say they go 4-0. Especially if they go 3-0 in those first three games they are definitely running the table.
You do realize,HSHS returns the state Offensive and DPOY right? The QB is the best in the state,and this year the RB has multi D1 offers including Navy(run heavy offense) to go with their star studded WR corp and 4 OL players return from last year’s team that beat Maury….AGAIN. HSPRINGS has all state players at all 3 levels on Defense as well. Maury was loaded with talent last season too. They’re not the only team with D1 talent. The question is always…who can coach the egos. Discipline in egos is key in emotional games. Fact is….HSPRINGS didn’t recruit an All-Star team. They already have one! Johnson has proven the ability to find your “weak link”,and coach the egos. The HSHS schedule is always comparable to any public school schedule as well. Fun season coming. HSHS is one of the D6 favorites. Maury “should” be the D5 favorite,but Stonebridge isn’t gonna just roll over and give it to them. Realistically,there’s NOTHING in RVA that’s gonna give Maury or Bridge a decent game in D5. I look forward to the Din/Maury game along with Varina/Freedom game. HSHS will definitely be tested in Florida as well. Not sure about the Maryland/DC teams playing our state big dogs. Stonebridge/Martinsburg could be good too!

Reactions: Thomasddev
Somehow you have looked past HSHS, who also, has several D-1 players this year as well. These games can go either way but I possibly say Maury 2 losses may be Dinwiddie and HSHS with what they both have returning.
Returning 8 “regular starters” on offense and the core of the HSHS defense is seemingly being downplayed for some reason. A QB with 40TDs and only 1 int doesn’t need comment. Johnson has proved he’s up for ANY 757 challenger.

How did I look past HSHS? Not many people outside the 757 know what Maury has done since the season ended. And Ima say this now unless Dinwiddie added some transfers they won’t beat this Maury team. I’m definitely making that trip to Dinwiddie though.

Sidenote: I got nothing but respect for HSHS and all they’ve done. I think they were the only team that could’ve possibly beaten Phoebus last year in the state. I wish we didn’t play in this dumb PD locked in 9 game schedule because i know Phoebus and HS have been in talks but that one open slot a year is in the way. Especially when i know now that 2 teams will forefit on our schedule.

Last edited:
Man I saw them boys at ODU 7 on 7…Dyrii might need to go be a college recruiter with what he put together. I just hope it was done by the rules because it’s a school that’ll run to the VHSL quick that’s on their schedule week 4.

How did I look past HSHS? Not many people outside the 757 know what Maury has done since the season ended. And Ima say this now unless Dinwiddie added some transfers they won’t beat this Maury team. I’m definitely making that trip to Dinwiddie though.

Sidenote: I got nothing but respect for HSHS and all they’ve done. I think they were the only team that could’ve possibly beaten Phoebus last year in the state. I wish we didn’t play in this dumb PD locked in 9 game schedule because i know Phoebus and HS have been in talks but that one open slot a year is in the way. Especially when i know now that 2 teams will forefit on our schedule.
Facts. And like you said most folks outside the 757aint been paying attention to the 757 especially maury. Like they have sured up alot of spots this season and the hshs game won't be like the others. I mean I'll still say if it wasn't for the 2 missing players that state championship game is closer and maybe maury inks one out. But to think this gonna be like the other games no probably 3 to 7 point game going down to the clock.

Facts. And like you said most folks outside the 757aint been paying attention to the 757 especially maury. Like they have sured up alot of spots this season and the hshs game won't be like the others. I mean I'll still say if it wasn't for the 2 missing players that state championship game is closer and maybe maury inks one out. But to think this gonna be like the other games no probably 3 to 7 point game going down to the clock.
Yep, the game last year was decently played by Maury. You could just tell they were missing that one explosive piece. HSHS 100% deserved it ect ect. And I agree I doubt many people outside of Norfolk would know if Maury has been in fact getting talent from the other Norfolk schools. It's a good thing somebody can challenge for the 757 crown instead of just Oscar Smith and Phoebus.

Highland Springs got Herm’s best offensive lineman who left Herm and almost instantly picked up 3 D1 offers at HS. His brother is one of Herm’s best players (has a D1 offer as well) and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s playing with the Springers next month. I didn’t really think HS dominated the trenches last year like most would’ve thought, but they will this year.

Highland Springs got Herm’s best offensive lineman who left Herm and almost instantly picked up 3 D1 offers at HS. His brother is one of Herm’s best players (has a D1 offer as well) and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s playing with the Springers next month. I didn’t really think HS dominated the trenches last year like most would’ve thought, but they will this year.
Don't forget HSHS also has a deep rb field. They have the kid Cole Varner(last season LCA rb) who will be running behind that big line.

Don't forget HSHS also has a deep rb field. They have the kid Cole Varner(last season LCA rb) who will be running behind that big line.
I forgot Varner came back to the east end,so how good is that backfield gonna be behind that massive line. I look for him to play some defense too.

Between Varina, HS, Dinwiddie and Huguenot, the 804 is gonna be loaded. Many people on here don’t believe in Huguenot but they have some dudes. Would like to see how they stack up with these elite teams mentioned on this thread.

I know dinwiddie have there quarterback and running back returning but they lost a lot on defense if not mistaken 7 or 8 on defense and 6 on offense including some offense of line, but they do have a great feeder program and great coaching so they will be good not sure they can run the table again like last year. We will see.

I know dinwiddie have there quarterback and running back returning but they lost a lot on defense if not mistaken 7 or 8 on defense and 6 on offense including some offense of line, but they do have a great feeder program and great coaching so they will be good not sure they can run the table again like last year. We will see.
The Generals always hope to go unbeaten and have done so many times in the regular season. This may be Dinwiddie toughest schedule ever and although I am very optimistic about this teams ability on both sides of the ball running the table is highly unlikely. Opening up in Canton and playing the Ohio Class 4 Champions Glenville, GW Danville, Maury, Thomas Dale, Hopewell, North Stafford, and Matoaca in the regular season will be a tough task and getting out of Region B will be even tougher. Just think the winner of B will almost certainly get a date with the Phantoms who in my opinion have the best defense in Class 4. I really like db Noah Jefferson and the Phoebus front four will be tough to run on. This is going to be a great year for Class 4 football.

Reactions: 10iceiceice
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT