ADVERTISEMENT

Max Preps Va top 25 regardless of classification

In all honesty how hard is it to win a state championship if you are Benedictine or Collegiate? There are only like 10 teams in the state you are competing with!

Agree, should see some big changes that make more sense coming by week 3!

I follow Oscar Smith. Would anyone be surprised to see them in the State Finals again?

I'll give it a try on a top 25.

1.) Bishop Sullivan
2.) Westfield
3.) Oscar Smith
4.) Hermitage
5.) Highland Springs
6.) Manchester
7.) Stone Bridge
8.) Dinwiddie
9.) Thomas Dale
10.) Landstown
11.) LC Bird
12.) Salem (Roanoke)
13.) Colonial Forge
14.) Lake Taylor
15.) Hampton
16.) Riverbend
17.) Tuscora
18.) Norview
19.) Monacan
20.) King Fork
21.) Lafayette
22.) Sherando
23.) Blacksburg
24.) Woodside NN
25.) Appo

Let me know if I left anyone glaring out.

1.) Bishop Sullivan
2.) Westfield
3.) Oscar Smith
4.) Hermitage
5.) Highland Springs
6.) Manchester
7.) Stone Bridge
8.) Dinwiddie
9.) Thomas Dale
10.) Landstown
11.) LC Bird
12.) Salem (Roanoke)
13.) Colonial Forge
14.) Lake Taylor
15.) Hampton
16.) Riverbend
17.) Tuscora
18.) Norview
19.) Monacan
20.) King Fork
21.) Lafayette
22.) Sherando
23.) Blacksburg
24.) Woodside NN
25.) Appo

Doubt I'd put TD that high.

Doubt I'd put TD that high.

Supposedly TD hung with HSHS in the scrimmage. I think they are gonna be strong this year DHS.. I wouldn't sleep on them. They have an incredibly hard first 5 games. If they can make it through that they will have an awesome resume.

Supposedly TD hung with HSHS in the scrimmage. I think they are gonna be strong this year DHS.. I wouldn't sleep on them. They have an incredibly hard first 5 games. If they can make it through that they will have an awesome resume.
They did. They have a very good defense and Tyree is the real deal on offense.. I think the QB situation moves them down a lot. Kid is tough as nails but if he goes up against a defense that gets after him then Dale will be in trouble imo.

Reactions: mbonape1
They did. They have a very good defense and Tyree is the real deal on offense.. I think the QB situation moves them down a lot. Kid is tough as nails but if he goes up against a defense that gets after him then Dale will be in trouble imo.

Agreed on the QB. But do they need the QB to be a playmaker or just serviceable? I am asking? Obviously a playmaker would be great, but can dale be a top 6-8 team in 6A if he is just serviceable? I would lean to yes with the rest of the roster.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead

1.) Bishop Sullivan
2.) Westfield
3.) Oscar Smith
4.) Hermitage
5.) Highland Springs
6.) Manchester
7.) Stone Bridge
8.) Dinwiddie
9.) Thomas Dale
10.) Landstown
11.) LC Bird
12.) Salem (Roanoke)
13.) Colonial Forge
14.) Lake Taylor
15.) Hampton
16.) Riverbend
17.) Tuscora
18.) Norview
19.) Monacan
20.) King Fork
21.) Lafayette
22.) Sherando
23.) Blacksburg
24.) Woodside NN
25.) Appo

Good as anything else, but Salem ain't in Roanoke. Salem is in the independent city of Salem.

I think the Maxpreps Top 25 poll shown in the OP is utter crap, for many reasons.

However, it does lead to a legitimate question. Just how good are the best private school teams in a typical year? Especially compared to the better public school teams. For example, how would Salem and Dinwiddie from last year have stacked up against the two or three best private schools? I ask because I've never seen any top-level Virginia private school teams, either live or on video. I'm familiar with the Roanoke-area schools like North Cross and Roanoke Catholic, but those are lower classification privates, unless I'm mistaken. And this is just a vague impression, but I get the sense that the better North Cross teams might be roughly equivalent to a good or very good 2A team.

Seems like I remember someone saying, perhaps two or three years ago, that Woodberry Forest's squad that season would annihilate the state's best 6A team. Any thoughts from our experts on any of this?

I can't speak about any of the private schools outside of the east, but I feel very strongly that Bishop Sullivan is the best team in the state. They have D-1 talent at every position and although the top teams in class 4, 5, and 6 could hold their own none of last years state champions could beat them.

The Richmond private school teams like Collegiate (3 D1 players, Russell Wilson played there ) have some talent, but I believe all of last years champs (4,5, and 6) could beat them.

Max Preps has writers and a few scouts checking out games, but just as the computer generated ratings they virtually make a calculated guess early in the season.

I too believe several teams are underated and I know for sure Dinwiddie is not the third best team in the state. Heck, I dont think we are the third best team in Richmond. Manchester, Hermitage, LC Bird, and Highland Springs are probably better. Monacan and Thomas Dale are right there and could very well be better too.

I guess Dinwiddie will find out just how good they are when they take on LC Bird and Henrico Thursday. If (I mean if) Dinwiddie can get a win at Salem (from Salem, not VA Beach) and head into district play 3-0 I may have a different opinion, but for now the Salem Spartans are numero uno in Class 4.

Last edited:
I think the Maxpreps Top 25 poll shown in the OP is utter crap, for many reasons.

However, it does lead to a legitimate question. Just how good are the best private school teams in a typical year? Especially compared to the better public school teams. For example, how would Salem and Dinwiddie from last year have stacked up against the two or three best private schools? I ask because I've never seen any top-level Virginia private school teams, either live or on video. I'm familiar with the Roanoke-area schools like North Cross and Roanoke Catholic, but those are lower classification privates, unless I'm mistaken. And this is just a vague impression, but I get the sense that the better North Cross teams might be roughly equivalent to a good or very good 2A team.

Seems like I remember someone saying, perhaps two or three years ago, that Woodberry Forest's squad that season would annihilate the state's best 6A team. Any thoughts from our experts on any of this?

Great question. Bishop Sullivan is the best team in the state. You should go to hudl and watch Terjada Mitchell! Wow! They have several major D1 players. Probably at least 20. They literally have a hand picked all star team.

Rumor is that westfield held its own with DeMatha out of MD in a scrimmage last week.

I would say that Dinwiddie and Salem would both beat Benedictine, collegiate etc. Benedictine is doing a good job of picking off local 804 athletes. They have had some really good players recently namely the rising sophmore DE for clemson and a few others. I dont think collectively they could beat the best of the 4a's. I think they would be a playoff team and maybe win a first round game depending on their draw. I think they would get blown out by the elite 5a's & 6a's.

As you can see from my top 25... I am not sure if outside of Bishop Sullivan any of them are a top 25-30 team in the state.

I respect the heck out of Appomattox, but does anybody think they could beat the majority of those teams they're ahead of on this list??

No way... I had them at number 25 personally. I think saying appo is between 20-30 in the state is not outrageous. They are a 2 time defending champion with a few D1 ballers. That cornerback they have is elite. I believe he is going to NC state. Even still, to be a 2A school and even be in this discussion is awesome and a reflection of how good they are. We are literally wondering how they would fair against schools with 4x the population in some instances.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
This is Maxpreps Class 4 rankings. Take it with a grain of salt.

Virginia Division 4A Rankings

# School Overall Strength
1 Dinwiddie 0-0 0.0
2 Blacksburg 0-0 0.0
3 Salem 0-0 0.0
4 Lake Taylor (Norfolk) 0-0 0.0
5 Lafayette (Williamsburg) 0-0 0.0
6 Byrd (Vinton) 0-0 0.0
7 Dominion (Sterling) 0-0 0.0
8 Amherst County (Amherst) 0-0 0.0
9 Eastern View (Culpeper) 0-0 0.0
10 Woodgrove (Purcellville) 0-0 0.0
11 Monacan (Richmond) 0-0 0.0
I find it very hard to swallow(even with a grain of salt) that Blacksburg garners such high regards in 4A with nothing to base it on but being 3A champs not withstanding. Just my opinion

This year I would have to say "probably not" for Appomattox beating some of those teams. In 2A ball though they will be very tough! Although they need some time for new starters to get jelled together. They graduated 21 seniors!!!!
Last years team,....Bring it on baby!!!!!!!

Like someone said though, they are being stacked up against teams MUCH larger school wise.

Reactions: mbonape1
I guess we will never know but they put a clinic on in the playoffs last year routing teams clear through till the final whistle.
42-7 in state championship.
Those boys hated lossing more than they loved winning!

Reactions: VaBlueDevil33
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT