ADVERTISEMENT

Maxpreps Class 4 Rankings

Their computer must have strong dislike for Louisa.

Granted, their schedule isn't as fierce as some others, but not sure what else they should have done... and their victory over Massaponax - in which they led by 23 at the break behind 258 yards passing + 3 TD's from QB Landon Wilson with a pair of freshmen as his primary weapons - validated their status to me.

Their computer must have strong dislike for Louisa.

Granted, their schedule isn't as fierce as some others, but not sure what else they should have done... and their victory over Massaponax - in which they led by 23 at the break behind 258 yards passing + 3 TD's from QB Landon Wilson with a pair of freshmen as his primary weapons - validated their status to me.
I read how they do their rankings on their website. They don't use any previous seasons. They only use this yrs schedule with reported games. Some games might not be reported. This would definitely change a teams ranking. Also if your strength of schedule is weaker it will lower your ranking. I'm have no doubt Louisa will be one of top 4 in region and possible region champion.

I would have Varina at 1 only because they are the defending champs. Dinwiddie has definitely earned top spot so far this season. Looking impressive

Heritage, probably the #3 team in C3 and Dinwiddie demolished them.
Heritage is "down" this year by their standards. They are still a quality team but I would be surprised if they beat LCA in the regular season or in playoffs. Heritage is probably a top 10 team in Class 3 this year but not Top 3. No particular order but Phoebus, LCA, Lake Taylor, Lord Botetourt, and Lafayette are probably better than Heritage. I have seen all of them play this year besides Lafayette.

Heritage is "down" this year by their standards. They are still a quality team but I would be surprised if they beat LCA in the regular season or in playoffs. Heritage is probably a top 10 team in Class 3 this year but not Top 3. No particular order but Phoebus, LCA, Lake Taylor, Lord Botetourt, and Lafayette are probably better than Heritage. I have seen all of them play this year besides Lafayette.

I hate leaning on the transitive property but you can't ignore Glass handling LB only to be shutout by Heritage a month later. I can hear arguments for LT to slide into that third slot (definitely putting Phoebus and LCA as 1/2) but I'm really not sure you're naming 9 teams better than Heritage. I think they're top 5 and that's state-semi level and anyone good enough to get that far, down year or not, is a good team and thus a good win for anyone who beats them.

Reactions: VolNation85
I hate leaning on the transitive property but you can't ignore Glass handling LB only to be shutout by Heritage a month later. I can hear arguments for LT to slide into that third slot (definitely putting Phoebus and LCA as 1/2) but I'm really not sure you're naming 9 teams better than Heritage. I think they're top 5 and that's state-semi level and anyone good enough to get that far, down year or not, is a good team and thus a good win for anyone who beats them.
I stated that they're probably top 10, not necessarily 10. However, I agree with your argument about them possibly being top 5.

As far as Glass being shutout by Heritage, were you at that game? If you were then you know it wasn't as much Heritage's defense as it was Glass' offense that caused the shutout. If I remember correctly, Glass outgained Heritage in rushing and passing on the night and got inside the Heritage redzone 4 times but turned the ball over every time.

I stated that they're probably top 10, not necessarily 10. However, I agree with your argument about them possibly being top 5.

As far as Glass being shutout by Heritage, were you at that game? If you were then you know it wasn't as much Heritage's defense as it was Glass' offense that caused the shutout. If I remember correctly, Glass outgained Heritage in rushing and passing on the night and got inside the Heritage redzone 4 times but turned the ball over every time.

I mean, Heritage had four INTs and forced a fumble. It's not like Glass had missnaps and bobbled exchanges, Heritage played "bend don't break" defense and punished Glass for mistakes. The yardage disparity was about 60 yards, not some giant gap signifying things had really gone wrong. I feel like I could make an equal argument for Heritage performing poorly on offense and ignore Glass' D, it wouldn't be much different than the reverse.

Same QB threw for 450+ last year against Heritage, did he play great or did Heritage's D play poorly? 5 turnovers and a goose egg on the board is the result of the D beating the O that night.

Heritage knows how to beat Glass and it shows. Last year, although a Heritage win (49-42), was the anomaly scoring-wise. In the eight years of Bradley vs Woody Jug Bowls, Glass has posted scores of 0, 3, 7, 7, 14, and 14 points is six of the contests (in fairness, they did win once with only scoring 14). Really seems to suggest that Heritage has Glass figured out which further suggests that D knows how to beat that O on a given night.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNation85
Who has dinwiddie played with a winning record
A good heritage team (probably our worst outing of the year, 5 turnovers in the 1st half)
A good Matoaca team who just battled with a very good Dale team 28-23 (Warriors controlled that game for 3 quarters

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Dinwiddie is the best Class 4 team. King’s Fork is probably 2 but just doesn’t have the discipline for me to think they’re better than Dinwiddie. Varina is legit but nowhere as good as they were last year. Just my little meaningless two cents.

Varina is definitely the Top dog in Class 4 until dethroned. I don’t see anyone beating KF in 4A but anything can happen on a cold November night…

Varina is definitely the Top dog in Class 4 until dethroned. I don’t see anyone beating KF in 4A but anything can happen on a cold November night…
Varina’s defense is elite but offensively they don’t have a real identity. They have a case of having too many weapons. They have three 3 star kids at WR and 2 more with D1 offers. They struggled mightily against Herm & Hanover.

Varina’s defense is elite but offensively they don’t have a real identity. They have a case of having too many weapons. They have three 3 star kids at WR and 2 more with D1 offers. They struggled mightily against Herm & Hanover.
You are corrected about Varina they have way more talent on the field than they did last year. They had very tight games with Hermitage and Hanover last year

A good heritage team (probably our worst outing of the year, 5 turnovers in the 1st half)
A good Matoaca team who just battled with a very good Dale team 28-23 (Warriors controlled that game for 3 quarters
We Should have won that game with Dale, Lost in last few seconds. Dinwiddie was great on both sides or the ball. Matoaca QB went our of game early with injury and Generals dominated on lines both sides.

I mean, Heritage had four INTs and forced a fumble. It's not like Glass had missnaps and bobbled exchanges, Heritage played "bend don't break" defense and punished Glass for mistakes. The yardage disparity was about 60 yards, not some giant gap signifying things had really gone wrong. I feel like I could make an equal argument for Heritage performing poorly on offense and ignore Glass' D, it wouldn't be much different than the reverse.

Same QB threw for 450+ last year against Heritage, did he play great or did Heritage's D play poorly? 5 turnovers and a goose egg on the board is the result of the D beating the O that night.

Heritage knows how to beat Glass and it shows. Last year, although a Heritage win (49-42), was the anomaly scoring-wise. In the eight years of Bradley vs Woody Jug Bowls, Glass has posted scores of 0, 3, 7, 7, 14, and 14 points is six of the contests (in fairness, they did win once with only scoring 14). Really seems to suggest that Heritage has Glass figured out which further suggests that D knows how to beat that O on a given night.
That's a fair argument. I appreciate posts like this and this type of banter.

That's a fair argument. I appreciate posts like this and this type of banter.
Spot on @VolNation85. That's exactly why I made several post. Just wanted to engage people and get back to talking football without all of the other drama and disrespect. We used to have awesome discussions/debates and everybody was a homer too. Miss those days. Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT