ADVERTISEMENT

Maxpreps Preseason VA All State

I doubt anyone will play this year and that anyone thinks they will. Smaller colleges are all canceling. Down here Hampton University just canceled Fall sports the other day.

I doubt anyone will play this year and that anyone thinks they will. Smaller colleges are all canceling. Down here Hampton University just canceled Fall sports the other day.
Probably will go spring. Makes the most sense especially if they play a strictly region/district schedule. Could possibly cut 2 games and still have a very successful season.

Reactions: mike salem
I agree with you, but I will continue to operate under the delusion of Fall football until they say otherwise. I expect they'll shoot for a modified schedule in the spring if they can work out the logistics. (Assuming we have any handle on COVID by then, which might be a stretch)

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Probably will go spring. Makes the most sense especially if they play a strictly region/district schedule. Could possibly cut 2 games and still have a very successful season.
I hope you are right on spring, but if there is no vaccine by spring why would anything change at the high school level for playing sports? How is playing next spring going to be different than playing in the fall? I am not trying to get into a political debate..we have all seen enough of that on here. I am to the point that e sports will be the only sport happening for the 2020-2021 season.

I hope you are right on spring, but if there is no vaccine by spring why would anything change at the high school level for playing sports? How is playing next spring going to be different than playing in the fall? I am not trying to get into a political debate..we have all seen enough of that on here. I am to the point that e sports will be the only sport happening for the 2020-2021 season.
I do think returning to "normalcy" will require a vaccine or a viable and effective treatment.

Vaccine is in the works. Let’s keep hope that it’s here sooner than later.

Reactions: aw19752
Should be aiming for spring if vaccine comes through OR if people just get their act together (Italy, Spain, Sweden combined for 188 new cases a few days ago) it can also be a possibility in some form.

And this will sound bad but due to the revenue involved, football needs top billing and if other sports can be fit into a working schedule then so be it but if football is all that can happen then they should try and make it work, everyone from HS to college needs the revenue the sport brings in to make everything else run.

Hope this teaches kids not to take their opportunities for granted. One thing that I see from this generation is that sometimes the effort just isn’t there. I believe the overall competition will increase. If we’re fortunate to have a season, I believe it’ll be one of the best we’ve had in a while.

Drugs like dexamethasone might be a key to some normalcy before a vaccine. I know people who have taken it for various things, and it's the real deal, and cheap. It has been very promising in reducing inflammation from the virus. Hopefully soon they'll find uses from other similar drugs, to the point that people who get sick can dramatically reduce the symptoms and/or the duration of them. I hope something will be found that can be taken as a sort of preventative measure, even things like vitamins/herbs. An herbal treatment from Madagascar is getting tested.

If it doesn't happen in the fall, it wont happen in the spring, to many obstacles with scheduling, testing (SOL, SAT, ACT) plus spring sports, more then likely, then will not have a vaccine by spring anyway. Hell Schools may not even open on time as it is.

I agree with you, but I will continue to operate under the delusion of Fall football until they say otherwise. I expect they'll shoot for a modified schedule in the spring if they can work out the logistics. (Assuming we have any handle on COVID by then, which might be a stretch)
I’ll miss the games here myself, but I also think the Spring will be a stretch right after flu season. Additionally quite a few player also play baseball in the Spring (like our starting QB), how do you iron that out?

Reactions: aw19752
I’ll miss the games here myself, but I also think the Spring will be a stretch right after flu season. Additionally quite a few player also play baseball in the Spring (like our starting QB), how do you iron that out?
Isn't your starting QB a stud baseball player?

I do think in most schools football pays the bills for a lot of other sports. I would hate to see traditional Spring sports take a hit again, but if football isn't played then realistically some schools may have to cut non-revenue sports this year and perhaps longer? There are so many variables and potential repercussions, I know I wouldn't want to be making the decisions.

That's what I thought. We played the game before them. He looked to be pretty good to me as a baseball player.

Should be aiming for spring if vaccine comes through OR if people just get their act together (Italy, Spain, Sweden combined for 188 new cases a few days ago) it can also be a possibility in some form.

And this will sound bad but due to the revenue involved, football needs top billing and if other sports can be fit into a working schedule then so be it but if football is all that can happen then they should try and make it work, everyone from HS to college needs the revenue the sport brings in to make everything else run.
Good point. In the SEC all fall sports are cancelled except for football. Football is needed probably to fund those sports.

That'd be the Moderna I mentioned above. The side effect news broke about two weeks ago, it was very good news. There were severe (not non-life threatening) side effects but like the article said, that was only seen in the high dose subjects. The low dose proved equally as effective as the high dose so there's no need for them to pursue the high dose anymore and so if this vaccine comes to us the worst we'd expect is the very mild stuff you see as a potential from any vaccine shot.

Some comments here about football replacing spring sports if football is not played in the fall. Very unlikely and I don't see that happening. If fall sports are canceled, they will most likely go with shortened seasons for all sports along the lines of winter followed by fall followed by spring, all in a compressed window starting sometime in Oct-Nov through late June. That way every sport gets to play. Yes, it will be cold and weather will factor into the fall sports being played in Feb-April, but it is better than nothing for the kids and us fans.

Another consideration for the handful of top tier players is will their college of choice allow them to play in the spring? Some may want to enroll early, or what if they get injured and have less time to recover? I understand this affects only a few players but if those studs don't play in a winter football season then their absence can really affect some teams.

Some comments here about football replacing spring sports if football is not played in the fall. Very unlikely and I don't see that happening. If fall sports are canceled, they will most likely go with shortened seasons for all sports along the lines of winter followed by fall followed by spring, all in a compressed window starting sometime in Oct-Nov through late June. That way every sport gets to play. Yes, it will be cold and weather will factor into the fall sports being played in Feb-April, but it is better than nothing for the kids and us fans.

Another consideration for the handful of top tier players is will their college of choice allow them to play in the spring? Some may want to enroll early, or what if they get injured and have less time to recover? I understand this affects only a few players but if those studs don't play in a winter football season then their absence can really affect some teams.

Well vhsl and most on the board only care about football which is fine and understand the shortened season. Spring sports at the high school level may never recover if VHSL goes to the shortened season. Travel soccer starts picking up those times of the year and many parents I have spoken with have said that if there is a shortened season their child will just do travel soccer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT