ADVERTISEMENT

May Scores

CallMeCoach19

VaPreps Varsity
Mar 27, 2010
Bruton 1-0 Poquoson: This was from yesterday, but it was the only score so I waited.
Stuarts Draft 9-1 Buffalo Gap: I think everyone is beating poor buffGap by this margin this season.
Giles 9-1 Auburn: Auburn is an interesting (though boring) team to watch, so this result is a good sign.
Mason 0-1 Madison: Mason lost on a forfeit. Anyone have any info on this one?
Halifax 8-1 Martinsville: Looks like HC figured out that Martinsville defense rather quickly.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
JR @ Radford. 4'-0 halfway JR

6-1 final JR, they actually looked like the team that started the season, maybe the Giles game last week was a wake-up call. First 2 goals came in under first 5 min of game. Subs got a lot of good minutes in 2nd period.

Last edited:
Reactions: CallMeCoach19
Nelson 6-2 AltaVista: Not a shocker or anything. I hope to see this team take DR and Appo to the wire.
Giles11-2 Floyd: A tough senior night loss for the buffalo.
Appomatox 8-0 Galileo Magnet: Galileo is struggling to find footing in their conference this season. Only one win thus far.
Dan River 6-2 Chatham: Not sure what Chatham graduated last season, but it must have been detrimental. Dan River has Martinsville next week. May make a trip out for that one.

Mason 1-0 Central (Wood): Still no word on the forfeit from the other night, but it looks as though Mason has that kink worked out.
John Battle 4-0 Central High: One of the few games in the west played last night.
George Wythe 1-1 Galax: 1A matchup, but an interesting one. I think GW has one of the best players in 1A this season in Dillon. Are they the best team? NO! (This game was called at half for weather)

Bruton 4-1 Northumberland: I love the name Northumberland. It sounds like their mascot should be some huge aged knight riding a tiny broken-backed colt. There should be a huge mustache and sandwich thrown in there as well.
Nelson 5-0 Galileo: This would have been an exciting result has Galileo beaten anyone all year.
Martinsville 1-3 Magna Vista: Martinsville continues to struggle to get their third win. Maybe they should rethink that whole, "We won't play anyone in conference thing." I don't look for things to get better for them this week. Dan River and GW...yikes.

Quite a few scores last night. I think everone's schedule is fairly backloaded...thanks rain.
Giles 4-0 Glenvar: I expected a much better result than this. I always hated playing on that Glenvar field though, so that could be a factor.
Nelson 8-0 Galileo: Back to back stompings.
Appomatox 8-0 Fuqua: I know nothing about the competition, but Appomatox is building up at the right moment.
James River 5-0 Floyd: The Knights are putting up one heck of a fight for the two seed in conference play.
Dan River 5-1 Martinsville: Yikes. I picked DR in this one, but could the Bulldogs really be this weak?
Chatham 6-3 AltaVista: Chatham will probably be a three spot in conference. Maybe a three who can upset?
And not 2A, but notable: Auburn 2-1 Radford: I'm not sure if Auburn has ever swept Radford...ever. Now if they beat them in conference that will really be something.

JR was only up 1-0 at midway but much like the game at Floyd once JR was up by a couple it kind of took the wind out of Floyds game. I give a lot of credit to the Floyd goalie for keeping the score as close as it was he had some amazing saves for the Buffs in both halves. I expect after tonight that the rest of the games this week will be postponed once again due to the forecast.

Nelson 2-1 Appomattox Co.: This is an interesting result. I had pretty much heard that Nelson was going to be an "also-ran" this season. Maybe not.
Madison Co. 0-3 Strasburg: Another nice result for Strasburg.
Mason 8-0 Rapp Co.:
Martinsville 3-1 George Washington: Surprised! Good redemption for that spanking GW gave them earlier in the season.
WIlson Memorial 1-0 Riverheads: Another good win to throw on a solid season already for Wilson.

Appomattox 8-0 AltaVista: Appo gets things back on track after a hiccup against Nelson.
Lafayette 2-0 Bruton:
Martinsville 1-3 Franklin County: Mville pulled the win against the big 6A rival at home. Just couldn't get there on the road.
Chatham 5-0 Galileo: Chatham still fighting.
Floyd 3-6 Radford: Looks like Floyd has been figured out throughout the TRD. They will have to fight for another win.

Lots of West games got rained out. Giles v. Radford played 16 minutes then was postponed. Have heard it will not be made up.

Mason 1-1 Maggie Walker: This was the one everyone was watching. Sounds like a great game to be sure. If there is video out there, I would love to see it. We could see this matchup again in a few weeks time.
Floyd 2-1 Glenvar: Looks like this will be the 4/5 matchup in conference play as well.
Graham 4-1 Grayson Co.: I'm thinking Graham could end up with only two losses on the season. They still have tough matches against Galax and VA High though.

Auburn @ JR, girls halted by lightning with 3 min to go in1st, after waiting an hour they decided to postpone? due to some water standing near sidelines in a few places. Weather had cleared, coaches were not thrilled that AD/officials decided not to finish the games out.

Lots of West games got rained out. Giles v. Radford played 16 minutes then was postponed. Have heard it will not be made up.

Mason 1-1 Maggie Walker: This was the one everyone was watching. Sounds like a great game to be sure. If there is video out there, I would love to see it. We could see this matchup again in a few weeks time.
Floyd 2-1 Glenvar: Looks like this will be the 4/5 matchup in conference play as well.
Graham 4-1 Grayson Co.: I'm thinking Graham could end up with only two losses on the season. They still have tough matches against Galax and VA High though.

George Mason 1 Maggie Walker 1
It was a very well played game, with Mason scoring in the first 3 minutes of the game and Walker scoring with 3 minutes to go in regulation. In between it was a seesaw struggle between both teams. There is a video of the game, but I've been told that coaches come to this board, so posting it provide unfair scouting. Maybe once the season is over it will go public. :)

Anyway, I think they are the two best teams in the East, if not all 2A. It's a shame both of them can't go to the State Tournament.

Reactions: CallMeCoach19

From Friday, Dan RIver 11 Galileo 0 - game moved to DRHS due to field conditions at Dan Daniel Park. Rained throughout most of the game.

Monday night
Dan River 4 Martinsville 0
Devin Calloway had 3 goals, John Emory Keller had a goal as the Wildcats swept the season series.

Martinsville girls won 3-1 over DR.

Graham 8-2 Fort Chiswell
Giles 7-0 Glenvar
Nelson 2-0 Chatham.

So who is going to come out of conference between DR, Nelson, and Appo?

Basset 2-1 Martinsville: Poor Bulldogs. This is not their year. I'm not suggesting anyone write them off for conference or region, but sheesh. Basset isn't exactly a powerhouse.
Warren 2-1 Clarke
George Mason 2-0 Monroe: Looks like GM figured things out from that tie the first time around.
Bruton 2-4 Warhill: I think I'm going to be admitting my mistakes earlier this season. Maggie Walker has a far greater likelihood of being a factor in June than Bruton.
Graham 4-3 Galax: Quite a shocking result. This implies Graham will finish the season with only two losses to undefeated Giles. I bet we get a Spartan vs. G-Men part III.
Battle 3-0 Gate City: I only post because it is almost tourney time, and JB should be in the lower seeding.

Graham 8-2 Fort Chiswell
Giles 7-0 Glenvar
Nelson 2-0 Chatham.

So who is going to come out of conference between DR, Nelson, and Appo?
Nelson is not in the same conference with DR or Appo. Same District (Dogwood) but the Governors are in the East Region until the Summer/Fall season.

Make-up tonight at Giles vs JR. I'm thinking a lot closer game than the one in springwood during the monsoon season.

Yeah, I wish this had been played the first time scheduled, but Oh, well. It is still a good match before post season.
Looks like that conference will run as follows:
1. Giles
2. JR
3. Martinsville
4. Floyd (though here it gets shaky)
5. Glenvar

Giles 3-1 James River: Made it out to this one. Not disappointed. James River controlled the midfield for the first 60 minutes of the game, but still could not find an answer for the calm and quick movement of the Giles squad. Honestly neither team finished well, which is a testament to the defense contesting every shot. JR easily could have had at least one other goal. They also could have had a straight red for a blatant run into the Giles keeper. A good match to head into conference play.
Bruton 2-0 Heritage
Appomattox 8-1 Chatham: Looks like Appomattox is firing on all cylinders at the right moment.
Mason 2-1 Clarke County: I actually saw 2-0 as well, so someone may need to clarify this one. Either way Mason won it.
Radford 4-1 Glenvar: Maybe Glenvar is resting up for that match with Floyd on Monday.
Strasburg 4-0 Rapp.
Dan River 4-3 George Washington: A nice result at this point of the season.

I got to Giles late and missed their first goal, a couple breaks for JR and it could have been in OT or the other way. I hope we see round 3 next week should be a good game as well. I don't know about the goalie call but from my angle it looked like the goalie was out of the box on the play? Sometimes it seemed like they let something go and then call it 30 secs later, I wasn't impressed w the boys in blue overall. Another makeup Friday and then start the tournament.

I got to Giles late and missed their first goal, a couple breaks for JR and it could have been in OT or the other way. I hope we see round 3 next week should be a good game as well. I don't know about the goalie call but from my angle it looked like the goalie was out of the box on the play? Sometimes it seemed like they let something go and then call it 30 secs later, I wasn't impressed w the boys in blue overall. Another makeup Friday and then start the tournament.

Before the game the officials were heard asking if this was for seeding or anything. Once they found out that seeding was decided already, I think they opted to call it very close to keep injury out of the equation.

Nelson 10-0 Buffalo Gap: I'm giving Nelson an outside shot at Region birth.
Battle 7-1 Lee: Battle may very well make it out of conference, but the party will end there. Lebanon is the only team with a hot there.

Some brackets are already posted, so we can get those matchups on a new thread soon.

Appomattox 4-0 Dan River: Underwhelming result. I was hoping for a great 1-0 or 2-1 matchup for someone. Oh, well. Appo should be the big dog to see in Region from this conference.
James River 4-0 Glenvar: Good rebound game for JR ahead of a tough match with Martinsville next Wednesday.
Graham 2-4 VA High: I wonder if Graham was back on their laurels a bit last night. They had already secured the 1 spot and a region birth.
Richlands 0-6 Radford:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT