ADVERTISEMENT

MBK

I agree. I fondly remember the days when we dreaded playing Meadowbrook. I hope the kids keep working and dont give up. Such a once proud program.

Last edited:
Mindboggling how far that program has fallen since winning the state title in 2004. They were still a 9-1 team in 2012

Reactions: HooSprings
Navy can verify, but Meadowbrook ruined a perfect season for Dinwiddie one year with a bonified butt whipping in the last regular season game.

Can anyone explain what happened? I know the Tiller hiring after the alum that was hired was arrested was the beginning of the downturn. The new coach starting 0-12 and being blown out in almost every game has been crazy. Seems similar to Johnson at Hermitage last year.

Reactions: springer76
Can anyone explain what happened? I know the Tiller hiring after the alum that was hired was arrested was the beginning of the downturn. The new coach starting 0-12 and being blown out in almost every game has been crazy. Seems similar to Johnson at Hermitage last year.
Eerily similar. Let's hope Herm's assistants can lead the Panthers to some good wins. Hopefully they will soon know if Bedwell stays or goes.

1. The athletic director is not an easy person to work for.

2. Chesterfield has designated Meadowbrook as the English as a second language (esl) school. Not sure about the breakdown, but last years numbers were around 40% Hispanic. Not sure if it equates, but the numbers for football have declined.

3. Coaching turnover in the past 5 years. Taylor (Bird now), Tiller (Colonial Heights). Tiller did not plan to leave. He requested permission to interview for other jobs and the athletic director asked him to resign. He did not even have an interview at the time.

That's the facts that I know. Will not speculate on anything else.

Reactions: Senex and CRF4Dan
2. Chesterfield has designated Meadowbrook as the English as a second language (esl) school. Not sure about the breakdown, but last years numbers were around 40% Hispanic. Not sure if it equates, but the numbers for football have declined.
Anecdotally, I would have to say you are correct. Some demographic groups don't play football as much as others, and children in an ESL program are more likely to have a background, if their families are newer to the U.S., where football isn't a sport they learned first. In my 19 years here in NOVA I can see the changes, at least on a large scale, that reflect that. It is what it is. Over time, things almost always change.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Anecdotally, I would have to say you are correct. Some demographic groups don't play football as much as others, and children in an ESL program are more likely to have a background, if their families are newer to the U.S., where football isn't a sport they learned first. In my 19 years here in NOVA I can see the changes, at least on a large scale, that reflect that. It is what it is. Over time, things almost always change.
Manassas Park HS comes to mind from last year.

@EPJr, I just wanted to take a second to thank you for the variety of post/links you put on vapreps. It also nice to see the Richmond City Schools getting a little love. Keep it up.

Reactions: RVA804
1. The athletic director is not an easy person to work for.

3. Coaching turnover in the past 5 years. Taylor (Bird now), Tiller (Colonial Heights). Tiller did not plan to leave. He requested permission to interview for other jobs and the athletic director asked him to resign. He did not even have an interview at the time.

That's the facts that I know. Will not speculate on anything else.

1. I've heard that also.
2. MBK has been the ESL location for a long time so I don't think that is a major factor. The growing hispanic population in that district is probably true though. James River also has the ESL program for the other side of the county.
3. Tiller wasn't winning many games either. They were definitely A LOT more competitive though.

Last edited:
RECRUITING!!!!! Their best players transferred because of opportunities elsewhere while being manipulated by other staffs. This causes a trickle down effect. Best players leave then average to above average athletes decide not to participate with the mindset of why play to get beat. They have lost a lot to other schools!

@EPJr, I just wanted to take a second to thank you for the variety of post/links you put on vapreps. It also nice to see the Richmond City Schools getting a little love. Keep it up.
thanx for the love - I will as long as I able able :cool:

RECRUITING!!!!! Their best players transferred because of opportunities elsewhere while being manipulated by other staffs. This causes a trickle down effect. Best players leave then average to above average athletes decide not to participate with the mindset of why play to get beat. They have lost a lot to other schools!

Direct pipeline to Manchester

Reactions: RVA804 and CRF4Dan
I posted about this in December in another thread about HS Transfers. This is the list MBK transfers since 2016-2017.

KJ McNeil to Manchester
Pharrel Pleasants to Manchester
Anthony Gary to Manchester
Andre Crawley, Jr. to Manchester
Damir Whitaker to Manchester
Jamon Battle to L.C. Bird
Xavier Gordon to L.C. Bird
Jonathan Martin to L.C. Bird
Javonte Tuppince to L.C Bird
Teon Powell to Monacan
Conner Adams to Thomas Dale
Gabe Green to Clover Hill
Janez Clyburn to Clover Hill
Jayden Brown to Culpeper

Some really good players on that list. Tiller wasn't doing that well but MBK hasn’t won a game since he left.

I posted about this in December in another thread about HS Transfers. This is the list MBK transfers since 2016-2017.

KJ McNeil to Manchester
Teon Powell to Monacan
Jayden Brown to Culpeper

Some really good players on that list. Tiller wasn't doing that well but MBK hasn’t won a game since he left.

wow did not realize we got one. I thought Teon Powell was organically ours. He definitely has been on our varsity since a sophomore at least. He went freshman year to Meadowbrook? Also, he is our best player and is currently ineligible do to academic mix up from what I hear. We are appealing the ruling now but not sure how it will turn out. He was going to be a big star this year too. I hope he gets to play his senior year

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
wow did not realize we got one. I thought Teon Powell was organically ours. He definitely has been on our varsity since a sophomore at least. He went freshman year to Meadowbrook? Also, he is our best player and is currently ineligible do to academic mix up from what I hear. We are appealing the ruling now but not sure how it will turn out. He was going to be a big star this year too. I hope he gets to play his senior year

I hope it works out for Teon and the Chiefs. He was dynamic last season, was really looking forward to seeing him in action again this year.

Also Quantez Christian to Manchester.

I was told Teon played QB at Meadowbrook as a freshman.

That list was to show that MBK lost a lot of transfers not just to Manchester. I don’t think or maybe I don’t want to think that anybody at these other schools are recruiting or doing anything illegal to get these kids.

6 players to 1 school looks sketchy but doesn’t mean anybody broke the rules. 3-4 of those kids were solid-big contributors to that State Championship team. Gary and McNeil were the best players at MBK.

I've heard from kids that are currently playing and some whom have played over at Meadowbrook. The first thing they mention to me is that it is extremely unorganized and lacks structure. This has been going on for some time now.(Even under Tiller regime) The previous Head Principal/current AD were not helpful in retaining any of those players due to their meddling in the football affairs. I've firmly believe football minds should take care of football business. Kind of hard for Coach Shamont to change the culture over there with his hands tied behind his back. A lot has contributed to the fall of Meadowbrooks football program. It is a losing mentally permeating throughout the program and quite frankly I don't blame those kids not one bit for looking for greener pastures elsewhere.

I've heard from kids that are currently playing and some whom have played over at Meadowbrook. The first thing they mention to me is that it is extremely unorganized and lacks structure. This has been going on for some time now.(Even under Tiller regime) The previous Head Principal/current AD were not helpful in retaining any of those players due to their meddling in the football affairs. I've firmly believe football minds should take care of football business. Kind of hard for Coach Shamont to change the culture over there with his hands tied behind his back. A lot has contributed to the fall of Meadowbrooks football program. It is a losing mentally permeating throughout the program and quite frankly I don't blame those kids not one bit for looking for greener pastures elsewhere.

“Football minds should take care of football business.”

Its been a few years but in my experience the most important thing a Principal and AD can do is trust the person they hired. If they can’t, they hired the wrong football coach.

Meadowbrook has changed demographically but is rich in football tradition with Coach Bowles and later Coach Taylor. From 2003-2012 MBK was 88-25.

If the right coach/AD were hired at MBK, it wouldn’t take long for MBK to back to being in the 5B playoff picture every year.

Gary, Crawley, Christian, Powell, Whitaker and Pleasants all either played on the 2016 team that beat Highland Springs or the 9-1 JV team that year. Put those 6 kids back on MBK roster, MBK would be a 4 to 6 win team.

Last edited:
“Football minds should take care of football business.”

Its been a few years but in my experience the most important thing a Principal and AD can do is trust the person they hired. If they can’t, they hired the wrong football coach.

Meadowbrook has changed demographically but is rich in football tradition with Coach Bowles and later Coach Taylor. From 2003-2012 MBK was 88-25.

If the right coach/AD were hired at MBK, it wouldn’t take long for MBK to back to being in the 5B playoff picture every year.

Gary, Crawley, Christian, Powell, Whitaker and Pleasants all either played on the 2016 team that beat Highland Springs or the 9-1 JV team that year. Put those 6 kids back on MBK roster, MBK would be a 4 to 6 win.

For sure... provided they could stay injury free. Agree they could be back to being a competitive football team in a year or 2 with the right staff.

But tomorrow they are going to get annihilated. Not going to be good. Springs should seriously play the JV team after 1 quarter.

Reactions: springer76
For sure... provided they could stay injury free. Agree they could be back to being a competitive football team in a year or 2 with the right staff.

But tomorrow they are going to get annihilated. Not going to be good. Springs should seriously play the JV team after 1 quarter.
JV plays over there tonight.....that will be an annihilation to..just sayin'

Reactions: mbonape1
As an alum its heartbreaking to see this program where it is today. MBK had a few good years under Rowe, was not very good at all under Tucker and Overton.Heres a little historical rundown:
Rowe coached from 1963-77 compiling a record of 65-79-5. He was followed by Bobby Tucker for one year who went 0-10 in 1978. Dick Overton came in from 1979-82 and had a record of 8-32. Jamie Accashian came in from 1983- 94 with a record of 54-64-2. Tony NIcely followed from 1995-97 with a record of 8-22. Bill Bowles came in next 1998-08 with a record of 69-53, but remember many were ready to run Bill out of town, a former Accashian OC, after the first 3 years where he went 3-7,1-9, 2-8. Bowles was followed by Troy Taylor from 2009-14 with a record of 44-19. Adam Tiller 2015-17 with a record of 15-17. Overall MBK has a record of 262-310-7. They have scored 9,702 points for a 16.76 avg per game and given up 10,928 for 18.87 per game and it seems to be getting worse. Now for non-losing records per coach:
Rowe- (6) 5-5, 7-3, 7-1-2, 7-3, 6-4 and 7-3
Accashian (6)- 6-3-1, 5-5, 5-4-1, 7-3, 7-3, 7-3
Bowles (7) 5-5, 8-4, 13-1, 10-2, 6-4, 9-3, 9-3
Taylor (5) 9-1, 6-4, 9-1, 9-2, 6-5
I still love my Monarchs and always will. If they need an AD I would love to take a chance at it.

KJ McNeil to Manchester
Teon Powell to Monacan
Jayden Brown to Culpeper

Interesting so many to Bird and Manchester, yes I know Bird has been good forever it seems and Manchester has been on the rise. But Tom left MBK and transferred to Bird now coach at Manchester and isn't Taylor a MBK alum as well? Plus a former coach at MKK.

Interesting so many to Bird and Manchester, yes I know Bird has been good forever it seems and Manchester has been on the rise. But Tom left MBK and transferred to Bird now coach at Manchester and isn't Taylor a MBK alum as well? Plus a former coach at MKK.
MBK sorry for the typo

Taylor is a Bird graduate.

so found out more about this so a quick correction is needed. Teon Powell originally started at Monacan then left for to play for Meadowbrook Bc he didn’t see eye to eye on positioning... Then he came back to Monacan his sophomore year. He was originally a chief. We are still hoping he will be ruled eligible before seasons end as we believe he is one of the best players in the Richmond area. Him being sidelined is a huge hit for us.

Football News:
Chamont Thompson out at #Meadowbrook after two seasons.
Team went 0-10 in each of the last two years, last win over Hopewell to end 2017 regular campaign.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Best of luck to Coach Thompson. He did a very admirable job considering the cards he was dealt. I thought this version of the Monarchs was the most disciplined team they had in years. The problem simply is the lack of talent, depth, and administrative support. Shame on the Meadowbrook administration for creating this downfall of a once proud program and the Chesterfield School Board for letting the kids and coaching staff to continue going through this debacle.

Praying for the Meadowbrook kids!

The situation is so bad with the administration, I can't imagine how any coach would want to subject themselves to that. Translated, the next poor coach doesn't stand a chance.

Sean Robertson@CBS6SportsSean

Per the school,
MBK has named Kevin Healy as their new Head Football Coach.
Healy was most recently at South Lakes HS

@SeahawkSports
@CBS6
#FinalScoreFriday #FSFCBS6
ENtt2fOWoAEXw9G

Twitter Handle: Coach_Healy @HealyCoach

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT